Attention! Use of Red Cross mark

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 90 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

allow me to disagree with the recent pronouncement of the unofficial Flag Institute by saying that the Jack is really only appropriate when being flown at sea

Technically, it's called the Union Flag, when flown on a flag pole on land, and ONLY referred to as a Union Jack, when flown on a "Jack Staff" on a ship.

"The jack was flown in the bows or from the head of the spritsail mast to indicate the vessel's nationality: "You are alsoe for this present service to keepe in yor Jack at yor Boultspritt end and yor Pendant and yor Ordinance""

The buffoons at the Flag Institute change their minds from time to time. Ignore them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe the original poster could create / file a DMCA against each instance they find. Like, a hobby.

Only if they ARE the International Red Cross, only the "copywrite owner" can legally file a DMCA.

Alternatively, they *could complain to the Red Cross, that EVERY military ambulance, military field hospital, and many civilian ambulances and hospitals, that have used the symbol to avoid taking fire in times of war in the last century or so, and most field, together with jusst about EVERY "naughty nurse" fetish outfit, and strippergram costume, in the entire world, are violating the Red Cross IP, and demand that the Red Cross make it's self unpopular by suing everyone.

Good luck to them with that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Only if they ARE the International Red Cross, only the "copywrite owner" can legally file a DMCA.

Can't they RolePlay filing DMCA's? It is probably as effective as being butthurt about it on the Forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Can't they RolePlay filing DMCA's? It is probably as effective as being butthurt about it on the Forum.

Well, if we're talking ROLEPLAY.

Though they will probably need a RP costume of a Red Cross Nurse, to wear while they pretend to fill out DMCA's, assuming they can find a Red Cross uniform in SL that isn't a "war crime against the Geneva Convention" of course.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair, the Red Cross is famously antagonistic towards the use of their symbol in virtual worlds. Various games were forced to change the red cross to a different symbol and perhaps the funniest incident of that was Stardew Valley, a cozy farming game, having patch notes like this:

image.png.81f55919589966fbbe059cc007d55d2b.png

Funny enough, they DO argue it violates the Geneva Convention to use it and the Red Cross is famously... busybody about enforcing it too. I reckon SL just flew under their radar.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

To be fair, the Red Cross is famously antagonistic towards the use of their symbol in virtual worlds. Various games were forced to change the red cross to a different symbol and perhaps the funniest incident of that was Stardew Valley, a cozy farming game, having patch notes like this:

image.png.81f55919589966fbbe059cc007d55d2b.png

Funny enough, they DO argue it violates the Geneva Convention to use it and the Red Cross is famously... busybody about enforcing it too. I reckon SL just flew under their radar.

Maybe the OP got in trouble for using it, so is "helping" SL users.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

During Easter this year in the UK, the retailer Iceland decided to remove the cross from their hot cross buns

So instead of hot cross buns, they were not cross buns. Perhaps it was just a typo in the order.

I wouldn't have bought them though, not because I'm in the least bit religious (I'm more anti-religious) but because I hate the ridiculous, pretend-PC, let's pander to someone else who might be offended but in fact has never even said they are behaviour that has become commonplace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Thank you for the cheery flags but allow me to disagree with the recent pronouncement of the unofficial Flag Institute by saying that the Jack is really only appropriate when being flown at sea. :)

As an amateur vexillologist myself, the Flag Institute is quite correct about the Union Flag's status and usage.

The Union Flag (as it is correctly called) was originally created to identify King James I warships with a common identification flag, by combining the patron saint crosses of his two kingdoms of England and Scotland together to form a recognition flag for his Royal Navy. The Union flag wasn't created as a national flag, it's a royal identification flag.

The rules about the Union Flag are quite clear and strict, the flag is NOT an official national flag, as the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland is NOT a country and NOT a nation, it is a Sovereign State.

No act or law has been passed through the UK's Parliament or been given Royal Assent to make the Union Flag an official "national flag". As the UK is a complex entity, it doesn't have an official  "national flag", but allows the Union Flag to semi-officially fill in for the place of one.

The British monarchy grants permission for national organisations the usage of the Royal Navy's Union Flag to represent the UK in a world where most countries have their own official national flags. But the Union Flag is still a Royal Flag, not a national flag, as the UK is neither a nation or a country.

From the flag's use in the Royal Navy, it is the other countries of the world who have seen the Union Flag on British ships in their ports over the centuries who have incorrectly assumed that the Union Flag meant "the British flag".  It does not. The flag literally means "this ship belongs to the British monarch".  Even the warships are prefixed with the title "H.M.S.", which means "His/Her Majesty's Ship/Submarine".

The Union Flag is still a Royal Navy flag, which is correctly flown from the jack staff at the bow of a warship, but only when the vessel is in port or alongside. At sea, the Union Flag is lowered from the jack staff and in place, the Royal Navy warships fly a different flag from their stern, the White Ensign, which has a quarter-sized smaller Union Flag in the upper-left corner (the canton).

It is forbidden for UK civilian or commercial sea vessels to fly the standard Union Jack at sea, or when berthed in a port.  Alternative flags are used instead, the Red Ensign for civilian vessels and the Blue Ensign for government owned vessels (excluding Royal Navy vessels). 

On land, the Union Jack is treated as a regimental war banner and used by the British Army, the King's soldiers. The army's variant has a narrower squarer shape than the usual Union Flag, which is more rectangular. The Union Flag may be flown from public buildings on special "flag days", which mark historic anniversaries or birthdays of members of the royal family.

The British monarchy grants permission for national organisations the rights and usage of the Royal Navy's Union Flag to represent the UK in a world where most countries have their own official national flags.  But the Union Flag is still a Royal Flag, not a national flag, as the UK is neither a nation or a country.

The Union Flag has the nickname of "Union Jack" too. There are two theories of the nickname's origins:

The first and most common theory is that the Union Flag is flown from the "jack" staff (a flag pole mounted at the bow or front of ships).  A jack is a sea flag which when flown from a jack staff identifies the owner of a vessel. The Union Flag was originally created as a "jack" flag by King James I to identify his ships.  His Union Flag became a "Union Jack".

The second less common theory of the Union Jack nickname origin is that "Jack" comes from Jacobus, the latin form of James, the King who created the Union Flag. The latin name Jacobus is also the origin for the Scottish nickname "Jock" for James too, which makes sense when pronouncing Jack in a Scots accent and dialect.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

As an amateur vexillologist myself, the Flag Institute is quite correct about the Union Flag's status and usage.

The Union Flag (as it is correctly called) was originally created purely as a Royal Navy flag to identify King Charles I (1600-1649) ship's at sea, by including the patron saint crosses of his kingdoms of England and Scotland.  The Union Flag was originally designed to be flown to identify Royal Navy ships and not as a national flag, which is a much more recent idea.

The rules about the Union Flag are quite clear and strict, the flag is NOT an official national flag, as the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland is NOT a country and NOT a nation, it is a Sovereign State.  No act or law has been passed through the UK's Parliament or been given Royal Assent to make the Union Flag an official "national flag".

From it's use in the Royal Navy, it is the other countries of the world who have seen this flag on British ships over the centuries who have incorrectly assumed that the Union Flag means "the British flag".  It does not. The Union Flag is still a Royal Navy flag, which is correctly flown from the jack staff at the bow of a vessel, but only when the vessel is in port or alongside.

It is forbidden for civilian or commercial sea vessels to fly the standard Union Jack at sea, or while berthed in a port.  Alternative flags are used instead, the Red Ensign for civilian vessels and the Blue Ensign for government owned vessels (excluding Royal Navy vessels).

On land, the Union Jack is treated as a regimental war banner and used by the British Army. The army's variant has a narrower shape than the usual Union Flag.

The British monarchy grants permission for national organisations the rights and usage of the Royal Navy's Union Flag to represent the UK in a world where most countries have their own official national flags.  But the Union Flag is still a Royal Flag, not a national flag, as the UK is neither a nation or a country.

Theresa Tennyson attempts to track down her right eye, which just eyerolled so hard and fast that it literally popped out. Now she has to try and find it with no depth perception. Thanks. Thanks a lot...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just a FYI: The term is technically plural, and refers to the agreed upon conventions of war: 

Wikipedia: The Geneva Conventions are international humanitarian lawsconsisting of four treaties and three additional protocols that establish international legal standards for humanitarian treatment in war. The singular term Geneva Convention colloquially denotes the agreements of 1949, negotiated in the aftermath of the Second World War (1939–1945), which updated the terms of the two 1929 treaties and added two new conventions. The Geneva Conventions extensively define the basic rights of wartime prisoners, civilians and military personnel; establish protections for the wounded and sick; and provide protections for the civilians in and around a war-zone.[2]

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Theresa Tennyson attempts to track down her right eye, which just eyerolled so hard and fast that it literally popped out. Now she has to try and find it with no depth perception. Thanks. Thanks a lot...

Try holding your eyeballs, like Krumm in "Aaah! Real Monsters!"

My wife made our kids' Ahh Real Monsters costumes : r/pics

• Haha 1

Just now, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

It means "one who studies the origins and usage of flags".

I find the term VERY vexing.

22 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

the Flag Institute is quite correct about the Union Flag's status and usage.

How could they NOT be "quite correct", assuming they are an "authority"?

• Like 2

"Quite" is an English word with more than one meaning; "quite" can be used to add extra emphasis to a statement.

"It rained quite hard today".

"My headache hurts quite badly".

"My headache is quite better, it's almost gone".

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

9 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

"Quite" is an English word with more than one meaning; "quite" can be used to add extra emphasis to a statement.

"It rained quite hard today".

"My headache hurts quite badly".

"My headache is quite better, it's almost gone".

Ok, I find it "quite vexing" if your "authority" is merely "quite correct".

• Haha 1

Interesting, in case anyone else missed it.  According to the Red Cross website:

In 1864, the Geneva Conventions established the Red Cross emblem as the universal symbol of neutrality and protection in armed conflict.

So, this clears up for me any mysterious connection to the "Geneva Conventions".

Why anyone in 2024 would care about the flag's usage, is beyond me.  Maybe they are not neutral on the subject?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hitomi Copperfield said:

Regarding the use of the Red Cross mark

Red cross mark;

Many people think that this is a hospital mark, an ambulance mark, a nurse's mark, etc.

Unfortunately, I see this red cross mark being used in various places in Second Life.

This red cross on a white background is a mark that can only be used for activities related to the Red Cross, the world's largest humanitarian aid NGO.

This is strictly stipulated by the Geneva Convention and the laws of each country.

Therefore, if this mark is displayed on nurses' uniforms or on signs of non-Red Cross hospitals or clinics, it is a violation of the Geneva Convention.

In Islamic countries, it is called the Red Crescent, and the mark is a red crescent moon on a white background, and this mark is treated in exactly the same way as the Red Cross.

The Red Cross symbol is internationally protected.

It is necessary to prohibit unauthorized use of the Red Cross mark by third parties other than the International Red Cross or the American Red Cross.

SL is not involved in any armed conflicts. Let me know if LL/SL ever does engage in armed conflict because that is something I would have to see to believe.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 90 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.