Revalue the L$ -> $1US = L$100

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 90 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

IMHO - the original proposition of "tying L$ to the USD" does not necessarily accomplish the stated goals of making SL a platform, where people can make a sustainable "living wage" by working in / creating for SL.

• Like 2

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

You are aware that creators live in a world full of inflation and also need to support themselves?

I am.

I'm well aware that creators are making miniscule amounts of money as they most likely have jobs in the real world.

The problem is that if you go with the OP's logic by making $100L cost $1USD, people will stop buying Lindens, rent land for homes, or even purchase clothing or accessories for their avatar(s) as it will become that much harder for people like that, myself included, to have something nice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CaitlinParker said:

The problem is that if you go with the OP's logic by making $100L cost $1USD, people will stop buying Lindens, rent land for homes, or even purchase clothing or accessories for their avatar(s) as it will become that much harder for people like that, myself included, to have something nice.

Yep, it would most likely "tank" the SL economy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

IMHO - the original proposition of "tying L$ to the USD" does not necessarily accomplish the stated goals of making SL a platform, where people can make a sustainable "living wage" by working in / creating for SL.

I don't see where the OP stated the goal of making a living wage (but instead pushes for an improvement).

Also, you've ignored the main thrust -- there' s a psychological effect  (and it's not good for creators) when consumers believe they're spending hugs amounts when they're actually only spending pennies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Also, you've ignored the main thrust -- there' s a psychological effect  (and it's not good for creators) when consumers believe they're spending hugs amounts when they're actually only spending pennies.

YOU may say this is the "main thrust" - but you started participating in the thread rather late, and also I have the right to disagree at what YOU may see as the "main thrust". 

So, I am not "ignoring" it - I merely have a different opinion than you do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I've always wanted SL to be a place where free-lancing artists could support their craft.  Some are able to get a few extra bucks here, and I'm glad of that at least.

Artists get a bad rap.  The starving artists is a true meme, unfortunately.  Often they spend immeasurable amounts of time honing their craft, years and years spent developing it before applying their talents wherever they can. Like teachers and others in the helping professions so valuable to society, we don't value them (monetarily) and even expect them to work for free in some cases.

Brief off-topic - this reminds me of my constant arguments with one of my old bosses (the actual president of the company) who would demand I waste my time producing the most hideous, ineffective logos/ads and then complain I was being too much of an artist for attempting to adhere to universal design standards and how dare I expect a real salary (which I couldn't even survive off of to begin with). His Vice President slapping him around a bit didn't help much on that front, so I quit and moved overseas in sheer frustration with the entire industry. 😂

Back on-topic - I did attempt, briefly, to bring those skills into SL and enhance them into other areas (eventually into animation, as 3D modeling is just not my forte). After realizing I could easily blow 5-10 hours (or more, depending on the complexity and my patience) just perfecting a single static pose or very, very basic animation, and realizing I may need to branch even further into mocap if I really wanted to do what I reallllllllly wanted to do, I stopped that shenanigans.

All I can say is creators are very dedicated because I just can't justify spending the time/energy for what little payoff there is (unless you're extremely popular with a large customer base - I was not and my competition sold for...what...like 30L-50L?).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CaitlinParker said:
11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You are aware that creators live in a world full of inflation and also need to support themselves?

I am.

I'm well aware that creators are making miniscule amounts of money as they most likely have jobs in the real world.

You'd pay more for 'that one tree', true, but the creator would have gotten a decent wage for its creation.  How would it be an advantage for a creator to spend the extra time making 2 trees for you so that you get a deal?  How would that affect the overall economy except via giving the creator a higher wage for their efforts?

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You'd pay more for 'that one tree', true, but the creator would have gotten a decent wage for its creation.  How would it be an advantage for a creator to spend the extra time making 2 trees for you so that you get a deal?  How would that affect the overall economy except via giving the creator a higher wage for their efforts?

SL was never meant to be a career job for creators.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Theresa Tennyson whispers, "And a lot of people who used to work for game companies aren't any more lately."

Which I'm sure it true but if they think creating content for SL will net them the same compensation, they're in for a shock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CaitlinParker said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

SL was never meant to be a career job for creators.

I never said it was.

What I am saying is that I'd like it to be a place where qualified artists could earn some money for their talent, as should be many other venues on the internet where these skills are needed.  As it stands, they're being taken advantage of for various reasons.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The L$ is in dire need of being revalued.

The suggestion, as I understand it, is to deflate the Linden dollar significantly.

On https://www.tilia.io/why-tilia it says

Converting between real money and in-game tokens is highly regulated and Tilia is licensed in all US states. We manage regulated activities so you don't have to.

The key phrase is "highly regulated". It is unlikely that Tilia would engage in any change in currency exchange policy that would expose them to civil lawsuits or criminal prosecution.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

If someone was told, or even asked, to make that tree you'd have a point.

But how about someone who just wakes up in the morning and says to themselves, "I feel like making happy little trees"?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Some of y'all have some whack ideas. Since some of those ideas seem like trolling, the thread stopped being "fun"!

See ya's in other threads!

People who disagree with you are not trolling.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:
9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If someone was told, or even asked, to make that tree you'd have a point.

But how about someone who just wakes up in the morning and says to themselves, "I feel like making happy little trees"?

I don't understand your hypothetical scenario here.  Well-made trees are desired and sell well in SL.

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I never said it was.

What I am saying is that I'd like it to be a place where qualified artists could earn some money for their talent, as should be many other venues on the internet where these skills are needed.  As it stands, they're being taken advantage of for various reasons.

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes you did.

If a creator were being paid to create something, then they're being commissioned to do so.  That's when the creator would be paid in full for something they're being paid to create for the person wanting a piece made.

Since LL never commissioned any of the creators to create anything in SL, then they're all considered to be freelance and would only make whatever LL allows them to turn into actual currency.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CaitlinParker said:

If a creator were being paid to create something, then they're being commissioned to do so.  That's when the creator would be paid in full for something they're being paid to create for the person wanting a piece made.

Since LL never commissioned any of the creators to create anything in SL, then they're all considered to be freelance and would only make whatever LL allows them to turn into actual currency.

The internet is not (nor does it have to be) structured in the same way real life working conditions are structured.

More and more people earn their living, or supplement their income, via online endeavors. We need to structure online reality in a way that reflects this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaitlinParker said:

Yes you did.

Exactly.  There are posts in the employment section of people looking for someone to make something for them specifically as well as creators offering their services.  It's not cheap and shouldn't be.  If I wanted an exclusive mesh avatar, I'd expect to pay in RL money and not Ls.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Pancake is talking about raising the Cover Charge from 40 cents to 80 cents.  Most club goers tip 100 L if they tip at all, so that is their cover charge.  The only thing you will get residents to pay for is their avatar, and exclusive clothes.  A club that charges 100 L as a cover charge will probably lose half their patrons.  SL residents and club goers will spend on themselves, before supporting entertainers. 

True, if it isn't about avatar beautification, the L$ ain't that loose in the pocket.
Compare the price of a sharp dress fatpack with the price of a new house or a bedroom.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:
20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Some of y'all have some whack ideas. Since some of those ideas seem like trolling, the thread stopped being "fun"!

See ya's in other threads!

People who disagree with you are not trolling.

LOL! And now I have to check into the thread despite myself.

I was not referring to YOUR posts, or anyone's posts who I disagree with.

I was merely stating that "some ideas" seem like trolling. And that those ideas seem "whack" (meaning, crazy in the vernacular sense).

Please - do refrain from putting words in my mouth! 

I shall attempt to not reply again.  Unless you continue to taunt me. Perhaps just don't assume what I mean, that would help!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

The internet is not (nor does it have to be) structured in the same way real life working conditions are structured.

More and more people earn their living, or supplement their income, via online endeavors. We need to structure online reality in a way that reflects this.

First of all, people today can work from home if their job has that option.

Second, LL never considered SL to be a second job for anyone.

Third, if you structure SL to make it just like the real world, you will have killed SL in its entirety.  Meaning, that one skirt you got from a store like per se, Blueberry... instead of paying what... $300L for it, you'll be paying $3000L, or $30USD.  I don't know about you, but I am glad that no one is paying $3000L for a skirt from Blueberry because then not only would no one be purchasing Lindens for anything, but creators would seriously have to find a new way to get their secondary income as no one would be buying from them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 90 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.