Uploaded Texture is lower quality than local preview!

While i was trying to upload textures into SL, I've encountered an issue where the quality of the uploaded texture appears to be lower than the original. To investigate, I tried several tests wherein I bought a few textures, transferred them to my computer, and uploaded them back to SL without any alterations. The uploaded images consistently were blurry and low resolution compared to the originals.

I ultimately want to texture clothing in SL, but I am having a hard time with the resolution problem. I use Black Dragon as my primary viewer, I experimented with Firestorm in hopes of curing the problem but that did not work either. Additionally, I varied the sizes of the textures, ranging from 2048x2048 to 512x512, and even waited 24-hours for the low resolution to clear up, but that was also a failure. I have been looking through the forums for a solution for a 2 days now and really haven't seen anything.

I know its probably something dumb I am doing wrong, but I am at my wits end. I am brand new to texturing and creating on SL and any help would be greatly appreciated!image.png?ex=661b15fc&is=6608a0fc&hm=08d

Well your example look exactly the same to me on the web.  

Here's the deal.  The uploader takes a png or tga  and turns it into a jpeg (jpeg2000 I think ) . So the quality will always be a bit lower. Nothing you can do about that except use finer defined textures to start with.  I just uploaded a bunch of textures and they uploaded as "normal".  Now what you WANT and what you get may be very different. You can use a larger texture plane  but then you end up with laggy creations which isn't good either. 

So basically there IS no solution.  There have been folks in the past that put have used a 1024 texture on a MATCH HEAD (not even a whole match) and that is a REALLY BAD IDEA.  The forum post wen ton for a long time (long long long ago). 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well your example look exactly the same to me on the web.  

Here's the deal.  The uploader takes a png or tga  and turns it into a jpeg (jpeg2000 I think ) . So the quality will always be a bit lower. Nothing you can do about that except use finer defined textures to start with.  I just uploaded a bunch of textures and they uploaded as "normal".  Now what you WANT and what you get may be very different. You can use a larger texture plane  but then you end up with laggy creations which isn't good either. 

So basically there IS no solution.  There have been folks in the past that put have used a 1024 texture on a MATCH HEAD (not even a whole match) and that is a REALLY BAD IDEA.  The forum post wen ton for a long time (long long long ago). 

I appreciate the help! My concern is that on objects it is noticeably lower resolution compared to the local texture preview of the same exact texture.image.png?ex=661bd81f&is=6609631f&hm=fb9image.png?ex=661bd820&is=66096320&hm=ac9

Edited by Qiau

OK. That's a good example.  I know of no way to "fix" that. You can always test on the beta grid. Some creators use four textures in order to get things clear.  You can make a comment in the new "jira".   My personal experience isn't showing  what you  are seeing.   I use FS and usually 1024 textures (usually one per furniture object).  Some clothing creators use FOUR 1024 textures on a pair of pants.  If you are adding your textures to a template garment that wouldn't be a "fix".  

Hopefully someone else has an idea.  

Here is where you can make a comment etc. now. 

PS. In order to report an issue in the the portal you need to be able to have it happen on the current Linden viewer.  

https://feedback.secondlife.com/?_gl=1*jxjvhy*_ga*MjgyMTEzMzA0LjE2MjEzNzU1NjA.*_ga_T7G7P6DCEC*MTcxMDM1MDQ1NS40MDkwLjEuMTcxMDM1MDc0OC4wLjAuMA..*_fplc*NWZ4S1NiT2RMOVF6alUybjM5R0NSMUdROU9FS3VhJTJCQmJ3WTM5QVM0U1FiNFpKWjFBUnhzMGI1aGVzOU9WTXVQYnNnQTVyeFJ2NmRtWjclMkZrSDNyNkd1YjJ5bmRlMHNkYVFCS3dxbVg4SlgwQUhSb2VFcFM5VmxsU2JFYzZmUSUzRCUzRA..

WOW that's a long link.    

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

OK. That's a good example.  I know of no way to "fix" that. You can always test on the beta grid. Some creators use four textures in order to get things clear.  You can make a comment in the new "jira".   My personal experience isn't showing  what you  are seeing.   I use FS and usually 1024 textures (usually one per furniture object).  Some clothing creators use FOUR 1024 textures on a pair of pants.  If you are adding your textures to a template garment that wouldn't be a "fix".  

Hopefully someone else has an idea.  

Here is where you can make a comment etc. now. 

PS. In order to report an issue in the the portal you need to be able to have it happen on the current Linden viewer.  

https://feedback.secondlife.com/?_gl=1*jxjvhy*_ga*MjgyMTEzMzA0LjE2MjEzNzU1NjA.*_ga_T7G7P6DCEC*MTcxMDM1MDQ1NS40MDkwLjEuMTcxMDM1MDc0OC4wLjAuMA..*_fplc*NWZ4S1NiT2RMOVF6alUybjM5R0NSMUdROU9FS3VhJTJCQmJ3WTM5QVM0U1FiNFpKWjFBUnhzMGI1aGVzOU9WTXVQYnNnQTVyeFJ2NmRtWjclMkZrSDNyNkd1YjJ5bmRlMHNkYVFCS3dxbVg4SlgwQUhSb2VFcFM5VmxsU2JFYzZmUSUzRCUzRA..

WOW that's a long link.    

Thank you so much again you are amazingly helpful! I have been going crazy over it @.   @.

• Like 1

I can't really help except to say that relying on SL to downsize images larger than 1024 yields poorer results than sizing them to 1024  beforehand in Photoshop or similar.

You might also try clearing your cache. I've had instances in the past where a texture would just not (apparently) upload correctly. After clearly my cache it appear correctly (and had evidently uploaded correctly to begin with).

What I'm not clear on is the difference between your two photos of the texture on the shorts. Both of them appear to be in-world snapshots of the texture on the shorts object. Is the clearer one the local texture preview on the object WHILE the edit texture window is open?

18 hours ago, Thecla said:

What I'm not clear on is the difference between your two photos of the texture on the shorts. Both of them appear to be in-world snapshots of the texture on the shorts object. Is the clearer one the local texture preview on the object WHILE the edit texture window is open?

Also, it looks like the only difference is texture thrashing to me. 

20 hours ago, Porky Gorky said:

It looks like we are getting 2048 textures on the main grid soon, so that will give you better results if your are not worried about texture load time.

If I understand the blog posts about them correctly, the 2048 format will only be possible for ground textures.
The rest will be automatically resized to 1024

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

If I understand the blog posts about them correctly, the 2048 format will only be possible for ground textures.
The rest will be automatically resized to 1024

I can see how the wording makes it seem that way, but the resolution increase is for everything.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I can see how the wording makes it seem that way, but the resolution increase is for everything.

LOL it's such a bad idea. Terrain I could understand, but all textures is ridiculous. Them Lindens be trippin.

• Like 1