What is with the constant upgrades??

Red52

OP, does your laptop have a dedicated GPU? Something like a Nvidia GTX 1050 (the one my laptop runs)... based on your CPU's generation, I'd guess you might have a 1650/1660 or even a RTX 2000 series on it.

36 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

OP, does your laptop have a dedicated GPU? Something like a Nvidia GTX 1050 (the one my laptop runs)... based on your CPU's generation, I'd guess you might have a 1650/1660 or even a RTX 2000 series on it.

Hi Jerom- I don't know how to tell.  I don't understand technology with computers 😞

7 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

The OP's info from FS shows their graphics card as Intel UHD. So no Nvidia. Their processor is slow at 1190.4 MHz. Firestorm requires 2.70 Ghz. But... the i5-1035G1 CPU can boost to 3.60 Ghz. Integrated graphics are certainly no help though. We also don't know what other processes are running on the OP's laptop that could be interfering, and what their internet speed is.

Personally, I think the best way to find out, is to see if anyone on SL is running the same laptop with the same BIOS version, and if they are having the same issues.  

OP,  can you post your Laptop brand and model number?

1 minute ago, Red52 said:

Hi Jerom- I don't know how to tell.  I don't understand technology with computers 😞

Post your laptop brand and model number. Maybe someone else is running FS with the same one. Then it's easier to sort out if it's hardware or software.

Are you having issues with any other software?

• Like 1

Just now, Bagnu said:

The OP's info from FS shows their graphics card as Intel UHD. So no Nvidia. Their processor is slow at 1190.4 MHz. Firestorm requires 2.70 Ghz. But... the i5-1035G1 CPU can boost to 3.60 Ghz. Integrated graphics are certainly no help though. We also don't know what other processes are running on the OP's laptop that could be interfering, and what their internet speed is.

Personally, I think the best way to find out, is to see if anyone on SL is running the same laptop with the same BIOS version, and if they are having the same issues.  

OP,  can you post your Laptop brand and model number?

Oh f mee... yeah, you're right, didn't read into it closely enough! Integrated graphics are available in many of their laptop and desktop CPU's, mine has a UHD 630 iGPU in addition to the GTX 1050. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Post your laptop brand and model number. Maybe someone else is running FS with the same one. Then it's easier to sort out if it's hardware or software.

Are you having issues with any other software?

Other than Firestorm not running without error messages (2 years ago), no- no other software problems.  Laptop brand is an Acer-Aspire 3. Model # N19C2.  Thanks!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Oh f mee... yeah, you're right, didn't read into it closely enough! Integrated graphics are available in many of their laptop and desktop CPU's, mine has a UHD 630 iGPU in addition to the GTX 1050. 

Brand is an Acer- Aspire 3; Model # N19C2.  Jerom- you referred that the info I posted was from FS.  I am not using FS at the current time; I am using the official SL viewer.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, Red52 said:

Brand is an Acer- Aspire 3; Model # N19C2.  Jerom- you referred that the info I posted was from FS.  I am not using FS at the current time; I am using the official SL viewer.  Thanks!

Try Firestorm and see what happens. Or any other official third party viewer

1 minute ago, Bagnu said:

Try Firestorm and see what happens. Or any other official third party viewer

I will try to run FS tomorrow and let y'all know what happens.  Are there any other decent third party viewers you would recommend? Thank you!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Red52 said:

I will try to run FS tomorrow and let y'all know what happens.  Are there any other decent third party viewers you would recommend? Thank you!

Black Dragon is one, but it's complex.  I use Firestorm because of the chat window setup, and the ability to save and restore our settings. And it does take decent pics. Not as good as BD though.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Red52 said:

I will try to run FS tomorrow and let y'all know what happens.

Get rid of the PBR enabled SL Viewer.  That's enough to make me quit SL alone.

In Firestorm present Release 6.6.17.70368 -

You can tune down Preferences in the Current FS release to better handle your limited system memory and CPU speed.  You will still have lockups and crashes in busy regions.

Set your Performance to Mid.

Set draw distance to 96 m.

In Graphics, unclick Advanced Lighting Model. 

In Graphics/Hardware Settings, Enable (check) Lossy Texture Compression.

In Graphics/Rendering, Enable (check) Restrict Maximum texture resolution to 512 px.

In Graphics/Rendering, Limit Framerate to FPS of 30

That should help with your integrated graphics memory limitations, and CPU overheating.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Get rid of the PBR enabled SL Viewer.  That's enough to make me quit SL alone.

In Firestorm present Release 6.6.17.70368 -

You can tune down Preferences in the Current FS release to better handle your limited system memory and CPU speed.  You will still have lockups and crashes in busy regions.

Set your Performance to Mid.

Set draw distance to 96 m.

In Graphics, unclick Advanced Lighting Model. 

In Graphics/Hardware Settings, Enable (check) Lossy Texture Compression.

In Graphics/Rendering, Enable (check) Restrict Maximum texture resolution to 512 px.

In Graphics/Rendering, Limit Framerate to FPS of 30

That should help with your integrated graphics memory limitations, and CPU overheating.

But why would anyone want to run SL with these limitations? But the OP might be forced to though, if they can't get a new PC. But it's not established yet if it's their hardware.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

But why would anyone want to run SL with these limitations?

Those limitations are not really that bad.  ALM is over rated. The rest you will never notice unless you are gaming and have a gaming monitor. But that laptop is far from a gaming computer. 

• Like 1

Running SL on an Intel iGPU of that generation will never end well, technically it will work (technically) but practically it won't and I'm afraid to say that SL is mostly just too much for your PC in 2024.

You can use Firestorm or other viewers to disable ALM (Advanced Lighting Model) which will be causing huge performance issues for you but this option is being gradually removed from all viewers now, apparenly Cool VL Viewer will keep this option around though so in the future this may be your only option.;

Your CPU also appears to be throttling (slowing down) hard which suggests you are either running on battery power or have a thermal issue, the laptop might well need a good internal clean out and your report of crashes etc. make me think this might be what is wrong. They get very dusty inside and when they do they begin to struggle to cool themselves down and instability can be the result. If you aren't comfortable opening and removing internal components for cleaning etc I would suggest taking it to a repair shop for a service.

Really though you are asking a lot of a laptop that was never designed to run games or SL, it's just too intensive an application for the hardware.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Red52 said:

Don't forget to install a new version of FS first.
The problems with the 2 years old version will remain for sure if nothing has changed hardware wise.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Don't forget to install a new version of FS first.
The problems with the 2 years old version will remain for sure if nothing has changed hardware wise.

FS won't run with a two year old version. They block older versions, and let us know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Running SL on an Intel iGPU of that generation will never end well, technically it will work (technically) but practically it won't and I'm afraid to say that SL is mostly just too much for your PC in 2024.

You can use Firestorm or other viewers to disable ALM (Advanced Lighting Model) which will be causing huge performance issues for you but this option is being gradually removed from all viewers now, apparenly Cool VL Viewer will keep this option around though so in the future this may be your only option.;

Your CPU also appears to be throttling (slowing down) hard which suggests you are either running on battery power or have a thermal issue, the laptop might well need a good internal clean out and your report of crashes etc. make me think this might be what is wrong. They get very dusty inside and when they do they begin to struggle to cool themselves down and instability can be the result. If you aren't comfortable opening and removing internal components for cleaning etc I would suggest taking it to a repair shop for a service.

Really though you are asking a lot of a laptop that was never designed to run games or SL, it's just too intensive an application for the hardware.

I agree for sure. The biggest issue is why it takes weeks for the OP's viewer to stabilize when there is an upgrade.  If their viewer runs properly after 2 or 3 weeks, then the hardware must be capable enough. But 2 or 3 weeks of being online how many times? Is it an issue with filling the caches?  Is their cache size affecting this? What about bandwidth? Could it be set too high or too low?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I agree for sure. The biggest issue is why it takes weeks for the OP's viewer to stabilize when there is an upgrade.  If their viewer runs properly after 2 or 3 weeks, then the hardware must be capable enough. But 2 or 3 weeks of being online how many times? Is it an issue with filling the caches?  Is their cache size affecting this? What about bandwidth? Could it be set too high or too low?

Yeah I have no clue, no amount of caching is going to help an Intel UHD 630 run SL in 2024 though, it should work without crashing etc but will be so slow that it is unbearable to use especially considering low frame rates seem to carry over to extreme user interface lag in Second Life viewers.

The bandwidth slider does appear to be set to 3000kbps for some reason so it is worth reducing this as per recommendation, I've personally never noticed any difference but LL do recommend against settings this high. @Red52 you should reduce this to below 1500kbps.

I would also recommend going in and disabling all graphics options you can, you want to ensure there is no shadows or anything and all sliders are at their absolute minimum with all extra features completely disabled, antialiasing turned off etc to even stand a chance but I would still say your only real workable option is to download a viewer that allows you to disable ALM. Offical viewer aint it for your setup.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Yeah I have no clue, no amount of caching is going to help an Intel UHD 630 run SL in 2024 though, it should work without crashing etc but will be so slow that it is unbearable to use especially considering low frame rates seem to carry over to extreme user interface lag in Second Life viewers.

The bandwidth slider does appear to be set to 3000kbps for some reason so it is worth reducing this as per recommendation, I've personally never noticed any difference but LL do recommend against settings this high. @Red52 you should reduce this to below 1500kbps.

I would also recommend going in and disabling all graphics options you can, you want to ensure there is no shadows or anything and all sliders are at their absolute minimum with all extra features completely disabled, antialiasing turned off etc to even stand a chance but I would still say your only real workable option is to download a viewer that allows you to disable ALM. Offical viewer aint it for your setup.

I didn't look back to check the OP's bandwidth, but I have issues if I set it too high. I usually leave mine at 500. That seems to give me the most stability. When I was using a cell based modem for internet that could barely do 3 Mbs, it was a big issue if I set it even at 1000. Again, we don't know the OP's internet speed.

• Like 2

• Lindens
19 hours ago, Red52 said:

Memory: 12078 MB

This may be contributing to your pain.  If expanding memory is not an option, try fully exiting all non-essential applications (all browsers) before starting SL.  You might also want to try a low-footprint viewer (something other than the Linden viewer).

(Suspect you are failing due to a storm of paging activity.  You can monitor this condition if you know how to use Task Manager and Event Viewer in Windows.)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bagnu said:

FS won't run with a two year old version. They block older versions, and let us know.

I downloaded the newest version of the Firestorm viewer and although I was able to log in and go to my Home setting, my avatar was frozen in a position I had not left it, and would not move.  I tried logging out and back in twice, and the same thing was happening. I deleted FS and am back to using the official SL viewer.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Red52 said:

I downloaded the newest version of the Firestorm viewer and although I was able to log in and go to my Home setting, my avatar was frozen in a position I had not left it, and would not move.  I tried logging out and back in twice, and the same thing was happening. I deleted FS and am back to using the official SL viewer.

Official SL viewer is going to be absolutely painful on your hardware. It has ALM enabled by default and cannot be disabled.

I really don't know why you can't move in Firestorm, I think given what you have reported your laptop is not very happy though.

• Like 1