You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I been thinking of starting over with a new account mostly because I always have a hard time loading my invy and maybe is so loaded with so much stuff it cant load properly. So would be a good idea or no? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yesenia Zero said:

always have a hard time loading my invy and maybe is so loaded with so much stuff it cant load properly. So would be a good idea or no? 

mostly slow loading and problems with inventory is caused by too full folders. 
Organise the inventory, and clean up ( or box up things you don't use) and you should be fine.

btw.. hów much items is loaded for you? There are people with really lóts of items, but organised, that don't have problems.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yesenia Zero said:

I have a lot of stuff so kinda hard to know what to get rid of and what not. 

sorry but you'll have to be more specific, if the inventory organisation is the problem, you have to use numbers, not just "lots".
And how hard it might be, what to get rid of; ... stuff you don't use.

• Like 2

Alwin mentioned boxing things you don't use; I do this myself and it helps a LOT. I'm a builder and I own sim decor and craploads of building stuff, and my inventory is always under 15k items.

Another thing that can help a great deal is grouping things in subfolders by type or maker/vendor. This makes it easier to find things, and helps loading times. A folder with a thousand loose items in it loads slower than a folder with ten folders in it, each with a hundred items in them, at least in my experience.

Getting there took a little effort, because I had to actually look at all of it and do the sorting, but once I did it that first time, it fixed everything. It's all way faster now.

• Like 2

Organizing my inventory (or attempting to) helps me figure out what to get rid of. It's the biggest, most disorganized folders that contribute most to lag.

Landmarks? Create a few category folders within your Landmarks folder. Then filter to only show landmarks. Drag all or nearly all your landmarks into your Landmarks folder. Delete all the duplicates and those you know are dead. Filter now for the word "store" and drag all the landmarks with the word "store" in them into a category folder for stores (or stores and shopping events). Now filter for the word "design" and drag those into your Stores category folder. Now do the same for the word "fashion", etc. Eventually you can get rid of dead landmarks by right clicking on them and selecting "About", which will usually show if the landmark is dead without you having to actually teleport there to check.

For each major category of items, you'll figure out ways to break the group down into smaller parts and delete items you don't really need or want. Sorting by age can help sometimes. For instance, mesh came to SL around 2014, so items before 2015 are more likely to be sculpts and poorly optimized mesh. (Filter for the word "sculpt" to find and delete more sculpted items.)

For clothing sizes, if your avatar is small or thin, filter for "XL" and delete every standard sized item with XL in its name. If your avatar is not small, filter for "XS" and do the same. If you avatar is male, delete all the clothing for female mesh bodies. If your avatar is female, delete the mesh body sizes you don't wear. 

The more ways you can delete a bunch of stuff at once, the better. Keep the packages clothing comes in though, so you can pull out other sizes later or replace pieces you might accidentally delete.

Filter for scripts and delete all the unpacking scripts. Filter for animations and delete all the box holding animations. Filter for notecards and delete all the "Thank you" and contact info notecards. As long as you can find out the creator, you can check their profile for how to contact them.

Once you've deleted all the easy to find crap you don't need, you'll feel better about having reduced your overall inventory number.

The next step will be creating category subfolders to organize the items you want to keep. Putting a  ! or *  symbol at the front of folder titles can help you move your favorites to the top of your category subfolders and eventually delete the items you don't really want. They'll be at the bottom with no stars or exclamation points in their folder names.

• Like 3

All of the above, I agree. Also, remember that saving outfits creates links. Lots of outfits tends to swell the inventory count a lot. I have as many outfits as I can see the names of with the outfits window opened out, and that's it. If I get a scrollbar, I delete whatever outfits I wear the least. Boom, back to under 15k.

• Like 2

Also, delete items that are for bodies you don't have and will never own. I will never own Kupra, for example. I tend to delete the sizes for the extra bodies either right after unpacking or when filing away.

The system that works best for me is to have three folders each for the current month and the previous month. One for Clothing/Accessories, one for Home Furnishings, and one for Skin/Hair/Makeup (this folder also includes things like eyes, tats, etc).

Items that are unpacked after purchase are filed in the appropriate folder; the original unpacked item is put into an "unpacked" folder under Objects, and once every couple of weeks, I compress older items in that folder into an archive by putting them into the contents of a square cube and importing that back into my library, then deleting the original purchased item.

At the start of each month, I file away the stuff from in the monthly folders from two months ago.

My folder system for avi-related stuff is set up like this (not including the home decor organization here):

Body Parts

• Body
  • Heads (with sub-folers for vendor)
  • Eyes (with sub-folders for type and a combo subfolder for eyes with multiple appliers)
  • Skin (sub-folder for body appliers, was set up by brand but it's all Velour now so set up by body type; face skins are filed by head type, then brand)

Clothing

• Coordinates by Brand (hose brands that do ongoing color palettes like Rowne, ISON, etc.)
  • Costumes (subfolders by type: fantasy, scary, cyber/sci-fi, etc.)
  • Coats/Jackets (subfolders by type)
  • Dresses/Jumpsuits (subfolders by length; subfolders in lengths by type)
  • Formal
  • Lingerie (subfolders by type)
  • Pants (subfolders  by type)
  • Sets (subfolders by type - skirt sets, pants sets, etc.)
  • Skirts (subfolders by length)
  • Tops (subfolders by type - blouses, sweaters, t-shirts, etc.)
  • Swimsuits

Accessories (subfolders by type: necklaces, handbags, stockings, etc.)

Hair (subfolders by length plus updo, pony/pig tail, braids, hairbases; subfolders under that by brand)

Makeup (includes tats and body shine; subfolders by type)

Shoes (subfolders by type; subfolders under that by color plus a multi-color/multi-texture subfolder)

For cleanup I do the following:

1. Search for items for body types that I don't own (mentioned above)
  2. Search for unnecessary notecards that use certain key words - social, thank, note, etc.
  3. Review items over three years old; many can be deleted.

Similar to the method I use to compress purchased items after unpacking, I compress items for holidays, which can be uncompressed next year as needed.

Edited by Trinity Blakewell
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Yesenia Zero said:

I have deleted a lot stuff but still tons of stuff and right now I am at point what do I do now. 

9 hours ago, Yesenia Zero said:

Inventory in the viewer takes up very little memory. I have friends with inventory sizes in the hundred thousands. Technically there is no limit to inventory size. Which makes sense when you consider the Lab gets a cut of everything sold in SL. Limiting inventory would be limiting the Lab's income.

Inventory entries are small. The item is NOT physically present in your viewer's inventory. Your inventory consists of a list of names, date info, and a UUID. I for get how many characters long an entry is, but it is something like 128 or 256 bytes. However, that still takes some time to download. So, large inventories, 100+k, will add some seconds to your start up time. Also know the inventory loading process is recursive and has some timeout limits. So a SLOW or bad internet connection to SL can make for a problem. Folders with more than 5,000 items have been known to cause timeout problems. So keep the max number of items in a folder under 5k.

The reason that 5k thing is not an over all limit, is a folder (A1) with 100 folders (B1-3k) each with 3,000 items is recursively handled as individual folders. So even though A1 has a total of 300,100 items in its tree, the system sees A1 as only having 100 items.

Windows 10 will run with only 2GB of RAMemory. To run the viewer the system needs two more GB - 4GB total. If you are this limited on memory, you WILL have problems and inventory size will make a difference. Not much. But some.

You can get the free app MemHistory and see how your system is consuming RAM and whether your viewer is choking. An 8GB RAM system is unlikely to be affected by inventory size.

It will likely be cheaper to add memory than start over.

To know what to get ride of... if you have not been organizing inventory it can be an overwhelming challenge. 14 years of uncontrolled inventory growth... There are numerous posts in the forum about how to organize inventory and what to keep and how to label it. You can read them and decide what may work for you. I have my style. I spend a little time organizing each time I build a new outfit. I trash stuff all the time. What I think is most important is putting everything new in its place. The result is I have a general idea of where everything is.

If you haven't done something like that, I suggest you get the CATZNIP Viewer, which has the best inventory engagement tools I've seen. Use it to get organized.

If you just want to reduce inventory size, which I think is generally pointless - except for emptying trash, use the inventory tools to select OLD items and trash them. Use the inventory filters to select items older than, say, 5 years. Dump all of the resulting items in the trash.

I've changed how I do inventory several times over the years. Also I have changed how I label things. One thing I like, for now, is in my categories I have year folders. So... Dresses - 2020, 2021, 2022, etc. My oldest is pre-2010. Used filters to dump old stuff in it. So far working for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Yesenia Zero said:

Sort by date, newest 1st and start deleting from the bottom up.  Probably stuff you wouldn't be seen wearing anyway.  Empty landmarks folder.  Box up all photos.  

I really wish there were a way to delete ALL landmarks and notecards in one fell swoop after showing them all in inventory.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Sort by date, newest 1st and start deleting from the bottom up.  Probably stuff you wouldn't be seen wearing anyway.  Empty landmarks folder.  Box up all photos.  

I really wish there were a way to delete ALL landmarks and notecards in one fell swoop after showing them all in inventory.  

how do i do the dates ones I dunno how to do that one it would help alot 

26 minutes ago, Yesenia Zero said:

how do i do the dates ones I dunno how to do that one it would help alot 

If you are using Firestorm, sort by most recent instead of by name.  This will put the oldest item folders at the BOTTOM of inventory.  Work your way UP the list...

Screenshot_20240312-211207.thumb.png.aa7e8f760e424a97ec61da740929003e.png

• Like 1

I was just about to say, in the File tab of your Inventory window, you can choose Show Filters, and filter by age.

Depending on your viewer it might be accessed a little differently, but yeah.

I saw Rowan was replying, and I held off a second, lol.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I was just about to say, in the File tab of your Inventory window, you can choose Show Filters, and filter by age.

Depending on your viewer it might be accessed a little differently, but yeah.

I saw Rowan was replying, and I held off a second, lol.

My inventory is always sorted newest first and I forget that's not default.  Alphabetically makes no sense whatsoever to me since I'm completely unorganized.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

My inventory is always sorted newest first and I forget that's not default.  Alphabetically makes no sense whatsoever to me since I'm completely unorganized.

Yeah, I sort everything like it's rooms in my imaginary house, and I notice at some point I went alphabetical on it. It's great until I can't tell which version of an edit I'm about to rezz. Filtering by age makes sense.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.