Are we ever gonna be able to hide account age?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Fallacy. Using emojis is independent of the forum reputation score. If a food store gives S & H Green Stamps (yes, I'm old) and someone buys food from that store, that doesn't necessarily mean that person collects S & H Green Stamps.

I think most people are talking about reactions as opposed to emojis. 

I used to collect S&H. You could get some really nice appliances etc. and the only cost was your time collecting the stamps. The end of the stamps is one of the reasons I hated the 80s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

We have had several new people who took exception to your scorn responses before they were ingrained by anyone about the supposed benefits of the reputation system. It does beg the question why the Lindens leave it in place but then that is about par for the course where the Lab is concerned. They make noise about wanting to make the forum a nicer place to post in and leave the tools in place to do the exact opposite.

A laugh emoji isn't intended to be a scorn laugh. It only seems so from context. Linden Lab isn't responsible for how we choose to use the communication tools we have at hand. We have only 4 reaction emojis built into the system. If we didn't have the laugh one, how would we laugh at people's jokes? On the other hand, we can always post one of the many emojis from text or add a picture or gif to express derision if we wanted to do so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Because everybody knows that if LL brought in such a feature it would:

1. Only work some of the time for some people.
  2. Only work for specific ways of accessing it with lots of workarounds to access them.

Oh and we have such a feature already and it only works for specific ways of accessing the profile:

ShowinSearch.jpg.fec3e66de167ab91575ed4737e9fd28c.jpg

There are also the web profiles that can be made private. None of my account profiles will show in search. The only thing that will show up on a web search are my posts here. lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

All these years of getting XP and they want to do away with it when I'm almost level 18?

I vote no to level boosts and  vote no to doign away with XP..

It took a lot of work getting my gear score!! \o/

Ah yes, gamifying of the forums is definitely what we need. Otherwise the forums will die. 😄 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

This is more than likely in reference to the (useless) fact that prior to the "Resident" last name, Last names were cycled in and out as a certain threshold was hit and that one could (if one was the sort to actually care about such useless things) track down when each Last Name was cycled in and cycled out to have an estimate of how long ago an account was created.

Only oldbies know which are the really old last names or which ones came in at different times.

• Like 1

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

Only oldbies know which are the really old last names or which ones came in at different times.

If one is able to find them, there were methods one could use to find the data that had nothing to do with being an oldbie.

Outside of historical/archival reasons one would not need to utilize such a tool however.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:
2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Actually, one of the usual suspects thinks it should remain in the profile yet be inaccessible to scripts so new people can't be banned from places for being under a certain age.

I missed that.

Me too, later I figured out it was probably a reference to the posts in the "Feature Request" at the link posted earlier. One of the long-time Forumites ("usual suspects") posted there, who does not post as often here lately.

• Thanks 1

This thread reminded me of this joke...

A reporter is covering a veterans' event and sees a bald, wizened, frail man. She goes up to him and asks "And what is your secret for a long life?"

The man wheezes "Well, every day I drink two bottles of whiskey for breakfast, then smoke some meth and crack for lunch...then have another two bottles of whiskey and some weed and heroin in the evening to chill out".

"OMG!" says the reporter. "And how old are you?"

"21" 

🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

well if someone a rezz date less than about 13 years, you know it’s a purchased last name, and not a genuine, pre Resident one. 😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a couple of words
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

well if someone a rezz date less than about 13 years, you know it’s a purchased last name, and not a genuine one. 😂

So last names still so status, either for being a SL oldbie or having enough money to buy fake status. 😄 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

A laugh emoji isn't intended to be a scorn laugh. It only seems so from context. Linden Lab isn't responsible for how we choose to use the communication tools we have at hand. We have only 4 reaction emojis built into the system. If we didn't have the laugh one, how would we laugh at people's jokes? On the other hand, we can always post one of the many emojis from text or add a picture or gif to express derision if we wanted to do so.

Guess what right clicking in the text field does!

image.png.25905963d99e39684c1c9f680652966a.png

image.png.5a20a414cf3d09387e8bea1a3c0e5b0a.png

Windows key + period brings up the menu as well.

Surprise! 🤭

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I disagree. Sometimes one just wants to change their name. 

im just being silly, but seriously i thought thats why they created display names as part two of getting rid of last names on signin.

I once told my partner it would be cool to have the same last name, she said that would be great sweetie, BilliJo Resident has a nice sound to it. 😖

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

no status if you have a bought last name, that just screams loser 😂

You were pretty brave taking the last name of an American Hero who went to the Moon, considering conspiracy theories say we never went to the moon.

See? Last names can be interpreted any way you want.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

We have mods here and they should be able be able to sort out the intent. The Lindens were the ones who put the new policies and mods in place and wrote the community guidelines and it is therefore  up to them to enforce the rules they have put in place as to how it effects the abuse of new people.  The forum is not so busy anymore that the excuse of it being too busy has any validity.               

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

well if someone a rezz date less than about 13 years, you know it’s a purchased last name, and not a genuine, pre Resident one. 😂

I have a legacy last name because I happened to join something like a week before they were discontinued. I don't think it gives me "status", but it does sometimes give me a warm fuzzy nepobaby feeing of "I have something I really don't care about and I did nothing special to deserve but it bothers you that I have it and you don't" when I hear... some people... complaining about "last-namers."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I disagree. Sometimes one just wants to change their name. 

Yes, that's probably the case for many people, myself included.

I happened to pick a bad name when I first joined SL and eventually wanted to get rid of it. I was originally named Iiterature Resident. Mind you: That is a capital letter i, not an L. So people struggled find me when they searched for me. It was bad and downright silly. Having "iiterature" written under my display name bugged me (the legacy name is shown in lowercase when you use a display name)

When I eventually decided to get a proper name change, last names were available. So I got one, and Clem Marques looks way better than ClemMarques Resident would.

Is it a status symbol to have a purchased last name? No. In fact, it might be the opposite. It could easily be seen as wasteful to spend 50 USD on a name. I understand that. But I wouldn't care either way. Just feels great to not be stuck with my crappy old username, regardless of how others perceive it. The old surnames are cooler than the "modern" ones, and are like small pieces of SL history.

So in the end, I agree with both @Persephone Emerald and @BilliJo Aldrin on this topic.

18 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

It screams this person has money to spend! But seriously, changing a name is not such big thing considering the amount of time saddled with it and the amounts of monies spent on the game overall. Imagine someone spending a couple hundred per month on land made of pixels and yet being too cheap to buy a proper last name. That screams loser even louder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, if the "request" is to "hide account ages", does anyone also want LL to stop sending "Rez Day Reminders"?

In other words - if LL sends a "Happy Rez Day!" reminder for 15 years ago, but you "pretend" that your account is 3 years old - would that "break your immersion" ("you" being someone who wants to hide your account age)?

* LL * Sends Rezday email

* you * "Oh, noes! I am teh oldbie! Woe is me, I feel like a fraud now!!"

ETA:  Or, are you only making fraudulent representations about your account page to other users, and are honest with yourself?

Edited by Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.