New Year's Resolution for SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Generally, I stay away from New Year's resolutions and I'm awfully late getting started (although if you go by the Russian Old New Year on the Gregorian calendar, I'm still fresh).

But I thought of a great one and I simply must do this. With my inventory at 251,000, even if I spent every day on this, I'd have to go through 687 items a day for a year to make any progress.

To be sure, there is low-hanging fruit like unpack and give scripts, those ridiculous doubled up names (why does that even still happen?!) and of course "object".

I fear "object" because what if it's one of these ancient builds I commissioned from various builders now long gone from SL and I can't ever get that beam or door back?

I suddenly realized the way to combat that problem is to do a search with "creator" on their names and pick out their "objects" and put them in a folder. After doing a few of those, I need to bite the bullet and delete everything named "objects". It's time. SL is almost 21 years old.

But here's my idea: for every single thing I buy, whether at a store, event or a 50L Friday type of thing, I have to delete ten other items. That's harsh, but fair! Makes you stop buying stuff you don't really want, or, lets you buy that thing but forces you then to delete 10 other items. And honestly, sculpty trees and Christmas decor from 2006 can go unless it has some actual meaning or talent behind it.

I don't promise I'm going to have the determination to hit "delete" on the "objects"....

• Like 5

That's a good resolution. My inventory is a lot bigger than yours, and cleanup is a nightmare. I think that sellers do not do us any favours when it comes to reducing inventory bloat. With unpack scripts, hold animations, "thank you" notecards and landmarks in every purchase. I want the item itself and maybe a picture, not a heap of bloat I need to remember to delete when I unpack my shopping. It also does not help that we can't easily select all items of a certain type to delete them. I would love to be able to instantly delete all the landmarks in my inventory, and while I can filter for them, I can't select them all at once to remove them.

I deleted 10,000 demos recently.  Now I delete them as soon as I'm done trying them instead of letting them build up. .... I try a lot of demos . °`°

Or I should say 10,000 items worth of demos . You know sometimes they have like 20 copies for multiple bodies .

Edited by Midnoot

The other day, I felt like a new outfit and hairstyle for the new year, so shopped a bit and put all of it in a new "2024" folder. Then got the idea to just search and move the essentials like body and head, plus the few things that my avatar would pack in their emergency backpack, i.e., I can actually remember I have and would miss into that folder. Everything else that I'll buy this year, in that folder, too.

Everything else in a "pre 2024" folder, leave that untouched (unless I really suddenly think of an old item I really want to use and will use, which then shall be moved to "2024").

2025, I'll make a new folder, only go through the 2024 folder and move what I want to "2025", move "2024" with what didn't make it to "2025" to "pre 2024", rename that one to "pre 2025", repeat to fade.

The idea, you probably guessed it, being to eventually, let's say, after three years, toss the complete "pre xxxx" folder without too much anxiety, and looking forward and supporting the SLeconomy by getting new shinies and having fun shopping instead of digging through the pile. I'm rather sustainable and more of a non-shopper irl, often end up going to have a coffeed sweet drink instead of actually shopping for the thing I went to town to shop for, and my SL things don't end in a land fill at least if taking up some digital space, so I'm far less careful of buying new things there.

Landmarks, oh dear, I guess over 50% if not more or much more, aren't valid anymore anyway, probably go through, delete anything that I can't immediately remember or have moved on from, and test the rest to toss what's inexistent or not of interest any longer.

Notecards... hm, could probably delete them all without ever going to miss one, maybe keep a few dozen or so for sentimental reasons, like the notecard applications you had to send in to be allowed to rp in days of yonder, I may want to read my rp character's bg descriptions and have a good laugh someday. Then again, spending that time in a current rp sim probably is time better spent.

I had to log out before I could decide on whether to separate into "clothes et al." and "home& landscape stuff", though, the hunch of maybe giving the latter a longer half-life, but that's the general plan. Let's see... 🙈

Edited by InnerCity Elf

I use the filters.

The first four things I keep checked are Name cards, Note card, Landmarks and Scripts. Then just go down the list and start cleaning them.. rinse and repeat with the other boxes in the filters..

Then when that's all said and done, I make sure everything is in it's place in a pretty good structure I made for my inventory..

It took me a full summer to get things structured and in place and now when it gets messy it's just doing cleanup outside that structure.. So it goes much quicker nowadays than the mess it used to be taking forever and a day..

Ok, before was a dumb joke, sorry. It's a condition i have. No cure, so sorry again. ;)

But i do want to throw my 2 cents in. Specifically about new years resolutions.

Why must a change in your behavior/life be dictated by a calendar?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Ok, before was a dumb joke, sorry. It's a condition i have. No cure, so sorry again. ;)

yep, as i said in another post, any resolution to change can the the start of a new year (and maybe a new life) for someone. 

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling

15 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Because it sets a time limit to the goal rather than just "one of these days/years/decades when I get around to it, I am going to...."

Edited by Arielle Popstar
added important words

40 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Because it sets a time limit to the goal rather than just "one of these days/years/decades when I get around to it, I am going to...."

I disagrees. If you want to make changes and your first reaction is procrastinate or use a calendar with a special date on it to prevent yourself from procrastinating what you wanted to change on yourself anyway then you are just setting yourself up for failure. Denying that is just lying to yourself. My mom taught me that and i'm teaching my kids the same.

2 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

I disagrees. If you want to make changes and your first reaction is procrastinate or use a calendar with a special date on it to prevent yourself from procrastinating what you wanted to change on yourself anyway then you are just setting yourself up for failure. Denying that is just lying to yourself. My mom taught me that and i'm teaching my kids the same.

Somewhere along the line I picked up the motto of "why do today what can be put off till tomorrow". I'd blame my upbringing but mother would call me out on it.

Edited by Arielle Popstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.