References to Real world brands in Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My question this time is a bit silly, but simple: how do you feel about references to real world brands in Second Life?

I think it's amusing to see real world brands such as McDonald's and Coca Cola in Second Life. I know there's no copyright issues involved with stuff like food and drink brands as long as you're portraying them positively - and if so, it's free advertising for them. I have even partaken in putting some stuff like a Coca Cola machine and a KFC restaurant in my own parcel. I can see how this can be tacky to some people though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Or maybe I'm wrong about that?

I dunno. That's a new one to me.

You can request trademark usage permissions from McDonald's on their website. Not sure about Coke. I haven't seen any of those brands in SL, though. I've seen creators use renamed versions with different logos and things, but not the actual brand names themselves.

KFC INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

The Services and its entire contents, features, and functionality (including but not limited to all information, software, Services Updates (as defined herein), text, displays, images, company names, logos, product and service names, slogans, video, audio, html code, and the design, selection, and arrangement thereof) (“KFC Content”) are owned by KFC, its subsidiaries and affiliates, its licensors, or other providers of such material and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws. This KFC Content is used to distinguish KFC’s quality products and services.

These Terms permit you to use the Services for your personal, non-commercial use only. You must not reproduce, distribute, modify, create derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, republish, download, store, or transmit any of the KFC Content. Specifically, you must not:

• Modify copies of any KFC content from the Services.
  • Use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences, or any graphics separately from the accompanying text, or outside of the intended Services.
  • Delete or alter any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices from copies of materials from the Services.
  • Impersonate or attempt to impersonate KFC, a KFC employee, another user, or any other person or entity.
  • Access or use for any commercial purposes any of the Services, including the KFC Content.
  • Otherwise sell, license, rent, modify, disassemble, distribute, copy, decompile, reverse engineer, reproduce, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, publish, adapt, edit, attempt to derive the source code, or create derivative works from the KFC Content and other materials on the Services.

Any attempt to do any of these prohibited activities is a violation of KFC’s intellectual and proprietary rights and the rights of its licensors of the Services and Services Updates.

If you are a trademark or copyright owner and you believe that your trademark or copyright rights have been violated, please contact Trademarks@yum.com.

INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

The Sites and their Contents, including all trademarks, service marks, and graphical elements, are our sole property unless otherwise expressly noted and are protected by copyright, trademark, patent, and/or other proprietary rights and laws. The Sites and their Contents may also contain various third-party names, trademarks, and service marks that are the property of their respective owners. Subject to these Terms, you are granted a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable and revocable license to use the Sites solely for your own personal, non-commercial purposes and solely in accordance with these Terms. The Sites and their Contents are protected in the U.S. and elsewhere by patents held or licensed by The Coca-Cola Company or affiliated companies. The following website is provided to satisfy the virtual patent marking provisions of various jurisdictions including the virtual patent marking provisions of the America Invents Act and provide notice under 35 U.S.C. § 287(a): http://www.35usc287.com/mobile.

This license is terminable at any time, and does not grant you any additional rights with respect to the Sites or its Contents.  The Coca-Cola Company reserves all other rights. You may not modify, alter or change any Content, or distribute, publish, transmit, reuse, re-post, reverse engineer, or disassemble the Content or any portion thereof for public or commercial purposes, including, without limitation, the text, images, audio and video. Your use of any Content, except as provided in these Terms, without our written permission of is strictly prohibited.

maybe I could approach Coke/KFC/etc and pitch them on the benefits for them of my Products Placement on Parcel Plan

which I am fully confident will get zillions of views. Zillions of views which will go even more viral and get zillions of zillions of even more views, even tho I am a quite modest person as anybody can tell you

which will for sure result in their selling more product, like heaps and heaps more. And of course I would not say no in my modest way to some small recompense from them for giving them this wonderful opportunity to totes grow their sales with the resulting totally positive impact on their share price

+

sometime later

My Dear Modest Person

Thankyou but yeah nah!

Yours faithfully, President of Big Company

+

Dear President of Big Company who don't know n.o.t.h.i.n.g

yeah nah! your ownself

Yours faithfully, Modest Person (and way way cuter than you ! So there !! na-na-nah !!! )

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

My question this time is a bit silly, but simple: how do you feel about references to real world brands in Second Life?

I think it's amusing to see real world brands such as McDonald's and Coca Cola in Second Life. I know there's no copyright issues involved with stuff like food and drink brands as long as you're portraying them positively - and if so, it's free advertising for them. I have even partaken in putting some stuff like a Coca Cola machine and a KFC restaurant in my own parcel. I can see how this can be tacky to some people though.

McDonalds used to have a SL sim! They had an order kiosk at the drive-in window that linked you to the real McDonalds US site.

I still see 'Adida' wear on Marketplace :D But I actually found it quite useful when people sold boots as Converse or Dr Marten, as they're a certain style as well as a brand. I think the actual companies are busy enough trying to stop RL counterfeits without worrying about SL too much...if they even think about SL at all? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I think the actual companies are busy enough trying to stop RL counterfeits without worrying about SL too much...if they even think about SL at all? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Harley Davidson had this pretty huge clampdown in SL some time ago. Got one very prolific MC creator banned, which led to this major name changing thing among builders. It resulted in some "Duca"s and "Sozuk"s for a while, but most just name their things stuff like Black Devil or Speed Demon now. I've got a bike called Elwood :) 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 12:52 AM, elleevelyn said:

maybe I could approach Coke/KFC/etc and pitch them on the benefits for them of my Products Placement on Parcel Plan

No need, in the case of Coke. Way back before 2007, Coke gave permission to use their logo in Second Life. I don't know what other RL brands have done so. (And @Gopi Passiflora, it IS a trademark violation to use a RL brand's logo without permission. Technically, the proper thing to do is to ask the company before doing so.)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.