PBR WOW!

Luna Bliss

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I can also get the bom version, but I choose not to, thank you though.

You do know you don't HAVE to use BoM on the LaraX, right?  Or any previous Lara versions?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I can also get the bom version, but I choose not to, thank you though.

Yes, you choose. No one is leaving you behind. You choose to stay behind. 

3 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Not bragging or anything, but I can go buy a new computer tomorrow if I want to... IF i want to... and right now I don't... because 99% of SL is still non PBR

Yep, that's why I said:

43 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

We all have choices to make about what we can afford and when it's time to make the jump. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Yes, you choose. No one is leaving you behind. You choose to stay behind. 

Yep, that's why I said:

Everything you say is true.

I resisted forever getting a mesh body for the longest time, until I got tired of my  partner looking so much better than me. Once I move forward, I never look back

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
fixed stuff
  • Like 3

I'll confirm BilliJo's experience. I just ran over to Fameshed on my not-updated BD viewer and I couldn't get much to rez. My body remained entirely invisible, but my clothing and attachments rezzed, so I thought maybe something went wrong with my alphas or something.

Outside of that, the room looked pretty much like her photos, but a bit darker with the environment I had set. No PBR textures, as to be expected. 

People remained gray for as long as I was there, too, and most displays didn't rez at all.

Swapped over to my normal PBR Firestorm and it rezzed better, though still very slowly. Lots of orange clouds, very slow display rezzing with lots of gray.

Once things finally looked alright, I confirmed I was on the Shared Environment EEP and zoomed around. More glossy things than I previously thought - the wood display signs, the walls, the floor, the gold in the ceiling, the white in the ceiling, the displays themselves. Just shine on shine on shine. 

The comparison to Dubai mall was pretty accurate. All that's missing is the aquarium.

43 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And how will it affect sales at this event, if people who can't yet "make the jump" decide that the place is a glaringly blank eyesore and leave because they didn't find it an enjoyable shopping experience?

That's a valid question. The experience on a non-PBR viewer is really miserable with entire vendors not showing up at all. The experience on a PBR viewer is much, much better, but for those who can't upgrade for whatever reason, they're in for a bad time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

This build is stunningly beautiful and makes shopping such a pleasure!

The floors look nice .. Buuut it's not as if you can't achieve that look with Blinn-Phong.

https://i.gyazo.com/156325465c887da662df42c70c19bc09.mp4

https://i.gyazo.com/621bc4fbd6de2bd186bd5d4aa8462cfc.mp4

Probably could have used a brighter example as the wood isn't as reflective. So, here's just a flat white surface with a flat white specular to it:

https://i.gyazo.com/f43b7770f67e6e6752c055199a4af8f4.mp4

"But, that's not white?!". Well yes it is - but the light isn't. 

https://i.gyazo.com/2eb99cda124906cd2be67dbbcee7a109.mp4

I swung by to have a closer look at the floors at Fameshed, at a distance it looks all right but if you zoom in a little closer it just looks like someone spilled out a barrel of lacquer. There's no depth to it (something we've had in normals for years) and the shine appears to be very flat and low-resolution (probably because of how large the repetitions are).

9c69f865ddde120ee4f6fd6e91b6493e.png

I also looked up to see where all these light sources were ..

fb3c271d783f2ddb7757d5b7579e77a5.jpg

It's just invisible light prims spread out all over the place. Not to clank down too hard on the builder, but couldn't they at least have put up some spotlights to make it seem as if the light actually came from somewhere? Immersion broken!

And then, there's this .. Which is two things.

c952f7546c1865162b8361d81a441573.png

The ambient blue flooding the PBR shininess, which is the same thing that makes all PBR latex look like utter crap in 99% of the EEP settings, and what's that bright white, you may wonder? Clouds. Clouds reflecting in a shiny floor in a room with a ceiling. 

PBR 'wow' indeed. It would have looked better without it.

As for the actual metal parts .. Eh, it looks pretty cool. But. I dunno, was it worth it?

https://i.gyazo.com/c92dd6e64cca27f81c1459e21e5ef79a.mp4

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, "upscale" PBR "malls" will cater only to those with "newer" PC's and/or willing / able to use PBR viewers..?

That's very odd!!!

This one event is PBR-only without fallback textures. I believe the Belleza store is the same, but I haven't tested that on a non-PBR viewer myself. What other events do is anybody's guess.

• Like 2

Cube Republic's PBR desert trees are to die for (@ Fameshed).  Going to landscape Trompe Loeil's new desert home with them. Hope the white on the desert home can be shaded a bit (white hurts my eyes).  This spending splurge is all the fault of @Blush Bravin because she mentioned Fameshed!!!  ;0

Cube's Display @ Fameshed.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

The ambient blue flooding the PBR shininess, which is the same thing that makes all PBR latex look like utter crap in 99% of the EEP settings, and what's that bright white, you may wonder? Clouds. Clouds reflecting in a shiny floor in a room with a ceiling.

Ouch.

"More realistic . . ."

• Like 3

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:
3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Ouch.

"More realistic . . ."

A similar issue, to when I saw lights reflected in a "mirrored pool" I was working with in a cave, and there were no lights. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, "upscale" PBR "malls" will cater only to those with "newer" PC's and/or willing / able to use PBR viewers..?

That's very odd!!!

I'm sure if they notice a good decline that they'll have to resort to some sort of middle ground. That is if they can connect the dots to what's causing the decline.. hehehe

Like Robert Downy JR said to Ben Stiller in Tropic Thunder.. You never go full PBR.. hehehe

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Istelathis said:

I wonder if Bellisseria will eventually get PBR updates for the homes, vegetation, roads, and various other fixtures.  

Or reflection probes for the homes.

I assume that any new themes will feature those. It'd be interesting if they didn't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

A similar issue, to when I saw lights reflected in a "mirrored pool" I was working with in a cave, and there were no lights.

Which is of course literally the point of reflection probes.

I still say that you could probably make a killing on the MP by selling "pre-made" reflection probes. Even though that would be just short of a scam, given how easy they are to make (if not to calibrate, which IS more complicated).

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
3 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I wonder if Bellisseria will eventually get PBR updates for the homes, vegetation, roads, and various other fixtures.  

What, you don't think the "automatic" reflection probes serve all purposes needed?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What, you don't think the "automatic" reflection probes serve all purposes needed?

No, for a number of reasons, foremost of which is that they reflect the entire region, and not individual spaces within it.

Remember that one of the things a reflection probe does is takes a 360 deg. "snapshot" of only the content of that probe, for use in reflections. An autoprobe will include the sky in that, whereas a probe set to just the interior of the cave wouldn't.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Which is of course literally the point of reflection probes.

I still say that you could probably make a killing on the MP by selling "pre-made" reflection probes. Even though that would be just short of a scam, given how easy they are to make (if not to calibrate, which IS more complicated).

Right. In my case, I was using "intentional" reflection probes to get actual reflections (mirrored-water surface) but it was still showing the sun and clouds even though it was inside, in a literal cave.  I don't think that was the intention of reflection probes, to show "sun and clouds" all the time, even indoors.  I do think the issue is specific to "mirrored" surfaces that are parallel to the ground (like my cave pool and the reflection pool shown in the picture earlier).  PBR doesn't know you are "inside".

• Like 1

I assume that any new themes will feature those. It'd be interesting if they didn't.

I hope for the homes , they just leave it to whoever is occupying them, rather than spending all that time on that..I mean they would need to do that to each model of houses in each section.. That's a lot of different kinds of homes.  hehehe

Maybe in their new sections they are making.. It would be neat if they made it an option, but they probably won't and just be full time on. that is if they do that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No, for a number of reasons, foremost of which is that they reflect the entire region, and not individual spaces within it.

Remember that one of the things a reflection probe does is takes a 360 deg. "snapshot" of only the content of that probe, for use in reflections. An autoprobe will include the sky in that, whereas a probe set to just the interior of the cave wouldn't.

..and I did have a probe set to just the interior of the cave.

Of course, this was relatively "early days" a few months ago, and now the problem may be fixed better handled.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I hope for the homes , they just leave it to whoever is occupying them, rather than spending all that time on that..I mean they would need to do that to each model of houses in each section.. That's a lot of different kinds of homes.  hehehe

Maybe in their new sections they are making.. It would be neat if they made it an option, but they probably won't and just be full time on. that is if they do that.

I don't know, Ceka. Making a simple autoprobe for a rectangular space takes about 30 seconds. You could probably fill the average LH with autoprobes in 10 mins or less.

That's going to be beyond the capacity of a lot of residents, who will take one look at the "instructions" and probably shut the window immediately. But it really shouldn't be a problem for Moles. What they could do is build a set of autoprobes, package them up with simple instructions on placement, and send them to the appropriate home owner. Or just include them in the pack of textures and stuff that comes with each LH.

If LL isn't going to do what for them is the fairly minimal work in deploying probes for residents for whom they are landlords, it's a bit much to expect everyone else to do so. Which does seem to be what LL expects, in fact.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Diction
  • Like 2