Cross Posting... Love it or Hate it?

SandorWren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

Are you suggesting that @Cinnamon Mistwood and I are the same person? She's the only one I've ever taken pics with (she took her own shots) that are posted here. If that's what you're thinking, you really have NO idea how much that makes me laugh!!!

No. I wasn't necessarily even referring to your couple's post. Bill Fletcher and his partner also recently posted similar pics from both avatar's point of view.

Once again, you completely missed my earlier point that the thread, and in fact everything, is not necessarily about YOU.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Some things are comments that I think everyone should see -- specifically so that they know my opinion on the matter in general.

I like that philosophy, which in general says, "everyone is entitled to my opinion".

However, the corollary is, "your opinion of me is none of my business"!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No. I wasn't necessarily even referring to your couple's post. Bill Fletcher and his partner also recently posted similar pics from both avatar's point of view.

Once again, you completely missed my earlier point that the thread, and in fact everything, is not necessarily about YOU.

I completely miss your points all the time. Thankfully. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moles

I've just removed a post containing a completely uncalled for attack on another poster, and a couple of posts replying to it. 

These forums are not the place to air grievances with other posters.   Do it in personal messages if you must, and if you think their behaviour in these forums is objectionable, report the offending posts and we'll take a look.   

But don't post about it in public threads. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

The thing is OP, you've been asked on numerous occasions from your start on the forums to kindly not do.something.  It's usually about your tendency to over share intimate info.  Your consistent response is...if you don't like it, ignore me or OMG, I didn't realize/know/care.  So, why would anyone bother saying anything directly TO you anymore when you simply ignore, not only them but everyone else who agrees with them.   This is in response to...

4 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I was actually trying to follow the rules of not posting adult content in a "G" rated section. I didn't know that posting a link would be considered the same. I've done it before, and no one said anything. The rules here are apparently far more constrictive than I would ever have figured. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The thing is OP, you've been asked on numerous occasions from your start on the forums to kindly not do.something.  It's usually about your tendency to over share intimate info.  Your consistent response is...if you don't like it, ignore me or OMG, I didn't realize/know/care.  So, why would anyone bother saying anything directly TO you anymore when you simply ignore, not only them but everyone else who agrees with them.   This is in response to...

I stand by my statement. Use the ignore button. Why are you still reading my posts? You really should have put me on your ignore list a long time ago.

I am not here to please or appease the forum population. 

Edited by Bagnu

10 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I personally like cross posting, because I only have a limited amount of time to devote to the forums. I'm less likely to miss something if it's posted in multiple areas. How does everyone else feel?

It is unnecessary and bad form. Especially when linking to Adult content. It annoys me when people do it on Flickr (reposting the same image for more views) and it annoys me here too. It makes me less inclined to read other posts by 'reposters' in general.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Caitlin Tobias said:

It is unnecessary and bad form. Especially when linking to Adult content. It annoys me when people do it on Flickr (reposting the same image for more views) and it annoys me here too. It makes me less inclined to read other posts by 'reposters' in general.

I didn't realize that, and I won't do that again without mentioning that it is linked to adult content. My image was only on one thread, and it was a part of my SL life.

Or maybe I shouldn't post at all. The rules here are beginning to sicken me. 

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Pretty much every forum I have ever been a part of has rules against cross posting.

Posting a link to another post in a different thread is not the exact definition of 'cross-posting', but I think it does straddle the line (and not in a good way, IMO)

I've never been in any other forum, so I have no reference.

9 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I stand by my statement. Use the ignore button. Why are you still reading my posts? You really should have put me on your ignore list a long time ago.

I am not here to please or appease the forum population. 

Some of us ignore the advice we so freely give others but the thing with the ignore function is that it only works when signed in. To me it doesn't matter with the picture threads as I rarely look at them so I don't really care about cross posts there but I can somewhat understand why some might have an issue with it if they are wanting to quickly update on new posts before moving on somewhere else and yet find themselves having to look at the same picture in multiple threads. It would be the same if I had to read the same post in multiple threads on a regular basis, it would be a little exasperating.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Posting a link to another post in a different thread is not the exact definition of 'cross-posting', but I think it does straddle the line (and not in a good way, IMO)

Of course, there are times where that's useful - if someone asks a question which has been thoroughly addressed in another thread, referring to that thread or a specific post in that thread which answers it, for example.

But just in order to regurgitate a pic, it's possibly more frustrating than just re-posting the pic itself which is quick enough to scroll by. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's not about that.  It's about decorum and not about pleasing anyone.  That's what you seem to not understand.

No, I clearly don't. I never will. This is the most restrictive society I have ever seen.

I have been inworld fully immersed in decorating a treehouse and missed (thankfully) that this is now 3 pages.

Confession:  I should have IM'd Sandor when I saw that he linked to an Adult thread from a General one.  I didn't.  I stepped back and let the consequences of the action fall.  In hindsight, I should have said something.  Next time I will. 

I have a lot of friends in this thread and just like inworld and real life, not all of my friends mesh well (SL pun.)  There are times, when I let things go when I shouldn't.  There are times when I post and later think, why did I post that and why didn't anyone send  me a friendly note saying "Hey, might want to reconsider what you just typed."  I should step up and do that for others and then hope they don't think I am telling them what to do.  There are a whole range of sensitivities to balance here.

I saw.  I said nothing.  Next time, I will.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

There are times, when I let things go when I shouldn't.  There are times when I post and later think, why did I post that and why didn't anyone send  me a friendly note saying "Hey, might want to reconsider what you just typed."  I should step up and do that for others and then hope they don't think I am telling them what to do.  There are a whole range of sensitivities to balance here.

It takes someone big to admit when they've either erred, could have done better, or were wrong.  A surprising number of people are resistant to that!

Thanks for being "real"!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some people may have more difficulty in "reading the room". Others just don't care. Some enjoy creating conflict. Let's assume the first case here. 😉 

Internet forums are not as common as they once were, but they're kind of like a local bar or collage coffee house. When entering a new one, it's a good idea to watch and listen to the other patrons, before adding your own voice to the discussions.

There may be stated rules and unstated expectations. Unstated expectations will be more difficult to understand and navigate than stated rules. Luckily, this thread is primarily about stated rules.

1. Cross-posting is not against the rules. 

(But many people find it annoying)

2. Adult content is to be kept to the Adult subforum. Adult content includes representations of genitalia, explicit discussions about sex, and discussions of sexual kinks.

(When linking to Adult content from a Non-Adult thread, at minimum post a NSFW warning.)

3. It's not a rule, but irritating many people on the forum (or in a local bar) is usually not a good way to make friends.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

There may be stated rules and unstated expectations. Unstated expectations will be more difficult to understand and navigate than stated rules. Luckily, this thread is primarily about stated rules.

Peeve: Sometimes, people are expected to understand and follow "the Spirit" of the rules. (Not that I disagree, at all..)

Sympathetic Peeve: That's harder for some people than for others. 

ETA: Is not Peeve thread?

So sorry..!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I have been inworld fully immersed in decorating a treehouse and missed (thankfully) that this is now 3 pages.

Confession:  I should have IM'd Sandor when I saw that he linked to an Adult thread from a General one.  I didn't.  I stepped back and let the consequences of the action fall.  In hindsight, I should have said something.  Next time I will. 

I have a lot of friends in this thread and just like inworld and real life, not all of my friends mesh well (SL pun.)  There are times, when I let things go when I shouldn't.  There are times when I post and later think, why did I post that and why didn't anyone send  me a friendly note saying "Hey, might want to reconsider what you just typed."  I should step up and do that for others and then hope they don't think I am telling them what to do.  There are a whole range of sensitivities to balance here.

You very well know I'll listen to you, but I still want to express my opinions.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.