Strange email

Emma Krokus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Not sure what to make of this - and haven't followed the redacted link to find out... Anyone have any ideas?

[19:05] (redacted): Hello,

Are you tired of spending your hard-earned Linden Dollars? We've got an exciting solution just for you! Introducing our SecondLive Viewer, where everything is not only free but also open for endless possibilities.

- Unlock unlimited Linden Dollars (L$) for all your virtual adventures.
- Fly to unlimited heights.
- Build on any land of your choice, all for free.

But that's just the beginning.

Link: (redacted)

We're sincerely thankful to everyone who joins us in our mission to make SecondLife completely free.
Don't miss this incredible opportunity!

Best regards.

• Like 2

14 answers to this question

IF this isn't phishing for your account info then the " SecondLive Viewer" sounds like a copybot viewer and you might want to forward that on to support.  It "could" I guess be an Opensim Ad but that would be my third choice in the possible list.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Emma Krokus said:

Thanks everyone.

I'll forward it to Support.

Well that was tricky.

So it was an offline IM my alt received.

There was nothing on Support Case Form that fitted the issue. So I took my alt inworld and opened an Abuse Report there. Perhaps predictably the resident who sent the IM could not be found in search. Instead I entered Governor Linden as the abuser (hehe) and categorised it as Fraud... and copied the text from the offline message there.

If anyone knows I should have done it differently, please tell me!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I got my first one today while offline.  I too was puzzled about what category to use in an Abuse Report.  Since I hadn't followed the link I couldn't be sure it was Fraud (though it could be) so I settled for Spam, since others have had the same thing.

Sounds like a lot of people are getting them, I just saw the same thing on Reddit too.

It is an attempt to make people download malware though. Someone on github gist has investigated it, at least 4 separate trojans for anyone who runs the file that is being advertised in these messages:

sl_scam_nov_2023.png

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.