How to properly block a forum user?

Lewis Nerd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

there is a difference between inworld and a forum....I don't think we should equate them in every respect.

If it's the same human behind the forum name and the in-world avatar... why not?

Are forum activity and in-world activity still linked as far as account sanctions go?  Or is that no longer a thing?

16 minutes ago, Lewis Nerd said:

I remember discussions on the forums many years back about heavily-blinged avatars with 500 scripted prim sparkle earrings and such like bringing massive lag to an area, and there was a whole argument then about turning down "level of detail" and some feeling that, having spent time and money on "their look" everyone else should be forced to suffer the in-game experience simply because they wanted everyone else to see them how they wanted to be seen.  Then, of course, the infamous 'flexidong wars' where people felt that their desire to be naked was more important than those on "moderate" sims not wanting these bulging purple monstrosities being waved around in their faces.

I guess this is something I'm not going to win as simply not enough people care about the "full block" ability, but then if some people had been in-game as long as I have, and seen some of the things I've been through when active griefer gangs roamed the grid, maybe people would understand a little better as to why you'd want to cut someone out completely from interacting with you.

You CAN block and derender people with bling.  Totally not see nor hear them.  It's an awesome thing!  You don't have the ability and again, should not have the ability, to block them from seeing YOU.  That is YOU taking control over their SL.  Same goes for the forum.  You being able to block someone else's ability to do something on a PUBLIC forum is just wrong.  

Anyway, please do block me and I'll return the favor.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Lewis Nerd said:
18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

there is a difference between inworld and a forum....I don't think we should equate them in every respect.

If it's the same human behind the forum name and the in-world avatar... why not?

You can easily control the situation here on the forum via blocking them.

Inworld...not so easy. Their presence (if griefing you) can seriously impact your experience inworld.

• Like 1

Ah yes, because we don't agree none of us must have been around in the earlier days ... such wonderful "logic"!

Newsflash - you're quite wrong there.

On the Forum: Ignore (checking all boxes that apply) and move on. In World: Use the Mute/"Block" functions and move on ("Block" will visually alter/hide them and prevent IMs as well as hide their chat from your screen but will not remove you from their view - as is intended). Your control over their experience begins and ends with direct messages and interactions with you - you do not get to determine if they can see you/your public chat or not.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Luna, there is no "block" function on the Forum. It is labeled as Ignore and is such for the reasons outlined in this thread.

... and the reason the discussion exists - there may "be reasons" but it doesn't mean they are right.  Perhaps they're just convenient and easy for LL, and if they had their way there wouldn't be any forums at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is no "discussion" to be had. Your control begins and ends with what you see and who you interact with. This is by design and in case you missed it, it has been stated already (by mole or Linden) that the forum software appears to not allow what you wish it allowed.

Guess what?

Across the digital street it works exactly the same way. The only difference between them is that over there you don't even see that a post was made (even if quoted) nor do you see any topics the Ignored user has made (both of which are frankly irritating).

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

it has been stated already (by mole or Linden) that the forum software appears to not allow what you wish it allowed.

Not sure it's my fault that LL chose the wrong software for the forums.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Lewis Nerd said:

Not sure it's my fault that LL chose the wrong software for the forums.

Pro tip: If it bugs you that much, start you own forums. Control it until goes no more. Kudos for you then. Be the man in charge. Swing the ban hammer until the handle breaks, if you like.
But this is a public forum for all SL users. Provided as is.
Users have limited rights, the way they are provided is not our right to chose.

We can only control what is programmed and set open for use. We can even only discuss what LL is comfortable with.
The only thing one can do is vote with ones feet and don't use these forums if one has major problems and peeves with how they function. It is a take it or leave it situation.

People here have pointed out what is possible and what not.
Now it is up to you to accept it and stay or don't accept how it works and leave.

And endless continuing back and forth with the same arguments, doesn't solve anything. It only jacks up the post count, for whom is interested in that kind of stuff.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, so because it does not let you control other's experiences, it is the "wrong software" ...

There's the use of the phrase "regaining control of the situation", that's been used in more than one post.

If some overentitled jerk, trespasses in my SL home, I can "regain control" by punt licking their ass OUT of my home, and adding them to the ban list so they don't come back, because it's MY parcel.

I CAN'T "regain control" over an LLDWP road, 3 regions away, and punt them off that because... The road is NOT MINE. I cannot "regain control" over the road, I never HAD control over the road.

Some people have a POOR grasp of the difference between "Mine" and "Other Peoples", be that forums or parcels. They assume they should control a forum they don't own, and have a right to trespass on land they don't own.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If people could hide themselves, they'd be able to do far worse than offend by having their own opinions. In a public forum, anything said outside private messages should be viewable by everyone.

Otherwise you'd have people trying to block the mods, the bullying would increase because people could hide themselves from everyone who might take issue with it or didn't know how to prevent it, and things would be far worse than anyone currently imagines them to be.

In my experience, people who want to do everything in secrecy while having any kind of power over others are usually up to no good.

Like everyone else who has been here more than a week, I've had some pretty bad days on the forums. There are people here who, in my opinion, seldom if ever put forth anything from their keyboards but pure excrement. But if I let that put me into some victim/abuser mindset, then I'm only victimizing myself.

It's all just words. You can't control other people. They can say anything they want, and the mods decide if it's going too far.

And this is exactly as it should be. welcome to reality.

My current ignore list on the forums is at 0. And funnily enough, since un-ignoring everyone, nothing anyone has said has offended me in the least.

The simple answer as to why?

I think it should be obvious to anyone who can be honest with themselves.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

In my experience, people who want to do everything in secrecy while having any kind of power over others are usually up to no good.

That's not what I'm saying - nothing "up to no good" about wanting to stop someone harrassing you.

You could use your same argument about' secrecy and power' over ban lines and security orbs.  There's every chance I'm just flying past your land and have no interest in what you are doing or what is inside your land, but when you get zero warning and teleported home without consent then surely that's an example of 'extreme control' far in excess of simply not wanting to have a specific individual(s) interacting with you?  Yet most seem to take that as a 'basic right' in-game.

It seems like the only real choice I have is to stop using the forums - and I'm sure lots of people would be delighted to take that win.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lewis Nerd said:

That's not what I'm saying - nothing "up to no good" about wanting to stop someone harrassing you.

You could use your same argument about' secrecy and power' over ban lines and security orbs.  There's every chance I'm just flying past your land and have no interest in what you are doing or what is inside your land, but when you get zero warning and teleported home without consent then surely that's an example of 'extreme control' far in excess of simply not wanting to have a specific individual(s) interacting with you?  Yet most seem to take that as a 'basic right' in-game.

It seems like the only real choice I have is to stop using the forums - and I'm sure lots of people would be delighted to take that win.

You have a choice to grow a thicker skin too, not to let people goad you, because you are coming across as someone who just does that.

No one would give a hoot if you left the forum. They wouldn't notice or care. And they would find someone else to goad or laugh at.

Just continue to be you, post if and when you want to, but get your head from up your own bottom and run around for a while, enjoy all that is on offer in world and on these forums. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

My current ignore list on the forums is at 0. And funnily enough, since un-ignoring everyone, nothing anyone has said has offended me in the least.

I often quote something that I was taught: if someone criticizes you and it's not true, then why should it bother you? If it IS true, then you should thank them.

I think the same applies to blocking people. I just have a low tolerance for dealing with annoying people; upon self-reflection, it's probably that I hate the competition.

The "worst" cases, I do unblock to see what I'm missing, figure out WHY (lulz) it bothers me, etc. The ones I find simply annoying..I tend to leave on block/ignore because, meh. "Ain't no one got time for that!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

If people could hide themselves, they'd be able to do far worse than offend by having their own opinions. In a public forum, anything said outside private messages should be viewable by everyone.

Otherwise you'd have people trying to block the mods, the bullying would increase because people could hide themselves from everyone who might take issue with it or didn't know how to prevent it, and things would be far worse than anyone currently imagines them to be.

Like everyone else who has been here more than a week, I've had some pretty bad days on the forums. There are people here who, in my opinion, seldom if ever put forth anything from their keyboards but pure excrement. But if I let that put me into some victim/abuser mindset, then I'm only victimizing myself.

It's all just words. You can't control other people. They can say anything they want, and the mods decide if it's going too far.

And this is exactly as it should be. welcome to reality.

I used to have a zero block list too, until last year. 

It's marvellous. I am grateful for the feature. It saves a lot of wear and tear on the scroll wheel of my mouse.

• Like 1

Ah yes, pretending that each and every single response made is getting the same reaction no mater where it is ...

Nope- it is in response to utter ridiculousness - this is not your personal Blog, it is not your in world Parcel. You have no say in what others see of you here, at all.  Period. The same goes for in world, outside of IMs and such. Grow up and deal with it.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Lewis Nerd said:

... and when you get the same people just "laughing" react to every post I make regardless of where it is... it really makes you feel welcome doesn't it.

Meh don't feel bad, I have an excellent reputation because of all the laughing reactions I got since I started posting here! You're not the first, and unlikely to be the last. Just look at the source of them and that tells you all you need to know.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.