How to properly block a forum user?

Lewis Nerd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've found the 'ignore' button so I no longer have to see posts from a particular user, but I also want them to no longer be able to see or interact with my posts.

"Block" is a pretty standard option on most forums for dealing with stalkers and trolls, so where's it hidden on the SL forums?

Edited by Lewis Nerd

• Lewis Nerd changed the title to How to properly block a forum user?
46 minutes ago, Lewis Nerd said:

so where's it hidden on the SL forums?

simple answer: it's not hidden, it's non existing.
It's YOUR choice to hide, not make it disappear, reactions from others, but you, same as inworld blocking, won't have any effects on the blocked person.

You can report the poster if they act against the rules/guidelines. But, also again as inworld, there has to be a real breach of the rules. Just not liking a response is no reason.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 5

That seems very counterintuitive but not entirely unexpected.  It is a pretty basic function of any social media platform and SL/forums are no different.

Why shouldn't I have the right to block any interactions with an individual I don't want to interact with in any way?  In the forums they wouldn't be able to respond to anything I post, and in-world it wouldn't affect them in any way except being not able to contact me or visit the land I own.

7 minutes ago, Lewis Nerd said:

Why shouldn't I have the right to block any interactions with an individual I don't want to interact with in any way? 

you have the right! .. don't interact with them, that's your tool. Ignore, don't chat don't reply, don't read 
You have to realize you are the one that is bothered by their action. The choice to chat, reply, read, or even see, is on yourself.

• Like 4

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

you have the right! .. don't interact with them, that's your tool. Ignore, don't chat don't reply, don't read 
You have to realize you are the one that is bothered by their action. The choice to chat, reply, read, or even see, is on yourself.

The only solution to your approach seems to be "don't use the forums".

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

no, the solution is to control yourself. Don't read, don't reply the ones that trigger you, or control your triggers.

Excellent, so facilitating abusers and making them out to be the victim, and pushing all the blame on to me.  That sounds like a fantastic plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lewis Nerd said:

facilitating abusers 

correction: people that think otherwise as you.
You don't have to read or reply, that's a choice you make, it has nothing to do with facilitating.
If posters, posts or whole threads don't have any interest for you, don't engage.
When you vent a opinion, not shared by others, they have the full right to express themself also. That's where a forum is for.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lewis Nerd said:

So I've found the 'ignore' button so I no longer have to see posts from a particular user, but I also want them to no longer be able to see or interact with my posts.

That would allow someone to block you and say anything they like about you without your knowing about it.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

When you vent a opinion, not shared by others, they have the full right to express themself also. That's where a forum is for.

Yes but when the abuse passes a certain point, you shouldn't be expected to just brush it off.  That's why I'd like to prevent that user seeing me as much as it prevents me seeing them.

40 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

That would allow someone to block you and say anything they like about you without your knowing about it.

Yet that's only the reciprocal side of the "ignore" function as it currently exists.

I don't care what someone says (as long as it remains within the forum rules) if I don't see it - which is how I can 'ignore' someone, but not prevent them seeing my posts and engaging with them.

Edited by Lewis Nerd
misspelling

The ignore option works as intended.  This issue comes up pretty often and there are people who agree with you that a block should work both ways.

I am not one of them.  We have the ability to choose what posts we want to see for ourselves.  We do NOT have the right to choose what others can see and respond to for them.  That goes too far and can be abused.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
spelling, ugh
  • Like 6

• Moles
6 hours ago, Lewis Nerd said:

"Block" is a pretty standard option on most forums for dealing with stalkers and trolls, so where's it hidden on the SL forums?

You can't stop other people from seeing your posts, I'm afraid.  Nor can you prevent their reacting to them.   As far as I know, the forum software doesn't allow it.    

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

You can't stop other people from seeing your posts, I'm afraid.  Nor can you prevent their reacting to them.   As far as I know, the forum software doesn't allow it.    

Nor should it.

The only part that is "blocked" here is the  Private Message function.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lewis Nerd said:

Care to elaborate on why?  It seems a very sensible and quite elementary function to me, so I'm just curious why you think not.

This is a forum not anyone's personal page like on Twitter or other social media sites.  You should not be able to decide how others can see and interact with a community forum.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The clue is in the name of the function - "Ignore". Not "Block".

You are choosing to IGNORE a user by using the function.

Even across the digital street (VVO) the Ignore function is one sided.

Use it with all boxes checked and move on.

This is in addition to every single explanation you've been given by others thus far.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

This is a forum not anyone's personal page like on Twitter or other social media sites.  You should not be able to decide how others can see and interact with a community forum.  

Yes, you absolutely should.  So I presume you've never used ban lines or security orbs on your land because you shouldn't be able to decide how others can interact with you on land you own?

• Haha 2

Just now, Lewis Nerd said:

Yes, you absolutely should.  So I presume you've never used ban lines or security orbs on your land because you shouldn't be able to decide how others can interact with you on land you own?

That is my land that I pay for.  My personal space.  Your Twitter feed is your personal space.  My Flickr is my personal space.  The forums are not my personal space.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

That is my land that I pay for.  My personal space.  Your Twitter feed is your personal space.  My Flickr is my personal space.  The forums are not my personal space.

The principle of access remains absolutely the same, whether you agree or not.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.