Treehouses

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, Nae Mayo said:

I don't understand why Fantasy LH is so unpopular. If you were take a walk around the neighborhood at night, you will notice they are so beautiful. 

When it comes to activity, fantasy (pre treehouse) had more candy buckets than the other quieter themes. The forum tends to focus on fantasy, but that misses the bigger picture. It's not about whether people like dark green and crystals. Newbrooke, chalets and sakura don't have these things and had fewer candy buckets.

Those themes are pretty different to each other, but what links them together is that they're all neither mainstream American houses or American tropical/rich dream houses. Those tend to be the areas where themes do best, because it hits a large group of customers. Newbrooke is an interesting case study here, because it is an American style, but not one most people live in and not exactly the luxury house people expected. The sort of modern houses people wanted were the fancy ones with the curved edges and glass, not repurposed shipping containers for basic housing. The theme started out popular despite that, but it didn't last.

Which isn't to say that smaller niche themes shouldn't be created, as those hit a wider range of customers (I would pay for less tier if fantasy didn't exist and have held off on upgrading to premium plus). But it does have implications for future development. It means you're unlikely to get your science fiction Mediterranean French castle English cottage hobbit hole when current themes have space. Themes that aren't too different to current popular themes are more likely.

What I hope is we'll see other additions to current themes. Cottages in chalets would be a way around that request, without having to do a whole new theme.

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I'm having too much fun with my treehouse! Not sure I'm going to have enough to furnish the inside, but oh my goodness I love the outside!

senra_004.thumb.jpg.9278b1086997d5db3bffdc4d41b863ec.jpg

senra_002.jpg.16a85eb500772451ae94323aa84ca57d.jpg

senra_003.jpg.e9cee5aaaf3152655972eab1d240e086.jpg

senra_001.thumb.jpg.5ebbba4be76fa7bb6ebd49a52b7a9d57.jpg

I love that outer shell since it addresses the one thing I am not that fond of in the treehouses; will that be in your shop soon?  (fingers crossed!)

• Like 8

I'm already decorated for this Shroomasoween and have the stuff ready for my winter garden switch, so I'll sort a treehouse for next year. Not sure which I'll pick yet, but I like the included shelves as someone with a lot of knick knacks. I need to make some bracket fungus for that trunk though.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I discovered some hidden vines on the treehouses that light up when the trees turn on in the fantasy area..

Yeah.

Viewing the house with the Highlight Transparent =the entire house is covered in a transparent shell that changes with the time of day. If you look on the trunk in this image there are red lines - those also become glow lines at night, and lines like that are one some of the branches as well.

Screenshot2023-10-28202859.thumb.png.1341869e23f0c060d93f9b5ae388d7ab.png

EDIT: Was still here as SL night rolled in:

Screenshot2023-10-28204654.thumb.png.7222da204e2e0737e49dcc8f4365246d.png

Those lines are not there during SL day.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Those lines that appear at night over the outside of the treehouse are interesting. I can get my exterior shell to snug in just below that layer, but unfortunately, the shell is then so close to the layer below that it flashes when the camera is pulled out. I'm trying to decide if the effect is interesting enough for me to "copy" the effect for my shell. I'd need a script to activate the layer at sunset SLT. Not sure I have the energy to tackle a script. I know for some scripting is easy peasy, but for me it's like going to the dentist!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I assume that the lines are bioluminescent; that is, their color changes with the seasons, like the crystals, the writing on bridges, etc.?  Right now they're orange, in the winter they're, what, blue?  In the summer, green?  And only on at night.

I could do the script, if the lines are on a separate face, or set of faces. I would need someone who's more familiar with Fantasseria (maybe @Polenth Yue?) to nail down the seasonal dates and colors (or textures?).  I bet the Lindens do this by sending a message to Fantasseria's servers when it's time to change the seasons.  Blush, you would probably choose to hard-code the season dates in the shells.

ETA:  I've already scripted things that optionally switch on at SL night, like my fireflies and my Lost Caves lighthouse.  If I had stayed in Fantasseria, I was going to add bioluminescent textures to my seasonal plants system for some ferns and a few flowers, so this isn't a big stretch. 

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Those lines that appear at night over the outside of the treehouse are interesting. I can get my exterior shell to snug in just below that layer, but unfortunately, the shell is then so close to the layer below that it flashes when the camera is pulled out. I'm trying to decide if the effect is interesting enough for me to "copy" the effect for my shell. I'd need a script to activate the layer at sunset SLT. Not sure I have the energy to tackle a script. I know for some scripting is easy peasy, but for me it's like going to the dentist!

If you do decide to copy the effect, could you also offer a version that doesnt copy it? Most people probably love that effect, but a few of us, myself included, dont love that effect and would be happy to have a shell that hides it.

While you are at it, would you consider a shell for the tree that makes it possible for us to use a nicer bark texture on the tree trunk/branches?

Thanks much.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

If you do decide to copy the effect, could you also offer a version that doesnt copy it? Most people probably love that effect, but a few of us, myself included, dont love that effect and would be happy to have a shell that hides it.

While you are at it, would you consider a shell for the tree that makes it possible for us to use a nicer bark texture on the tree trunk/branches?

/me hands Blush another ream of paper for her "To Do" list.............  🤗

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I think this is beyond my skill level. It's not hard to emulate geometric shapes, but something as organic as the tree trunk/branches is beyond my limited skills. But I'm super hopeful for @Polenth Yue's bracket fungus!

If I do decide to try the glowing vine, if will be a separate piece to go over the shell. So it will be totally optional. At this time, however, I'm more likely to not even attempt it.

• Like 5

Now that I've found good items fitting the region for the outside of the house, I've got to redo the interior - which presently just takes a bunch of things I'm using in my log home and moves them around.

Been trying to find some good fantasy like kitchens. Dysfunctional has some but... they're not functional. ;)

A lot of other places go in for overly dark tones which is not the aesthetic I'm looking for.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.