SL Hot Takes & Unpopular Opinions!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Unpopular opinion - it still "matters to a lot of people" - or they wouldn't still be paying for owning or renting mainland parcels.

It certainly matters to me; I've owned the same little lump of mainland ever since I was old enough in SL to decide that wandering around welcome hubs and "trying to do something before auto-return" sandboxes wasn't for me.

I've probably paid for the server it's racked in multiple times over.

Edited by Lewis Nerd
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Opinion:

It's entirely possible for two people debating opposite sides of a question to both be wrong.

And it is probably unpopular to point out that the one's on the one side will be debating on the opposite side of the fence in a couple of weeks when their own pet peeve sex kink is being discussed.

Possible unpopular opinion: I don't want SL Halloween to be over on Tuesday (or Wednesday if you celebrate Day of the Dead) because I don't want autumn to be over in SL. As soon as Nov 2nd hits winter/Christmas explodes all over the grid, but I'm not done with fall, yet.

/me holds on the the colorful leaves and warm tones as long as possible. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lewis Nerd said:

Nothing stopping anyone exploring it though - there's an well established road system and places you can rez vehicles and drive about - or just fly over, avoiding the ban lines and enjoying the things you can see and visit?

I've done it, I wouldn't recommend it though due to the region crossings making road vehicles a no go and while its possible in a plane or helicopter.. I still wouldn't, ban lines and orbs. Vehicles are fun but realistically you're not going to use one to actually explore much without a huge amount of patience.

I have probably explored more of the mainland than most people of my account age though. I met a 10 year veteran who only recently learned there *was* a mainland!

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Possible unpopular opinion: I don't want SL Halloween to be over on Tuesday (or Wednesday if you celebrate Day of the Dead) because I don't want autumn to be over in SL. As soon as Nov 2nd hits winter/Christmas explodes all over the grid, but I'm not done with fall, yet.

/me holds on the the colorful leaves and warm tones as long as possible. 

Oh I can't wait, the sales might become worth looking at again! the entirety of October is spookyfashions. Wintermas at least means we get to find out which tops fit under which jackets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"No adult content" is ALREADY the default, you have to actively set your preferences to show A rated items in the MP, or to visit A rated regions in world.

If you actually KNEW ANYTHING about the REALSL instead of the imaginary one in your head, you'd have known that already.

Real SL? Nothing in SL is real. 

You're reaching hard with this one, careful you don't throw your back out.

Lewis has been a resident since at least 2007.  https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Lewis_Nerd

I've been a resident of SL since 2004 and even I do not know the names of all the "continents" of SL.

You are misreading Lewis. Question is, is it deliberate.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I hate to respond and drill further into one pop/unpop opinion already beaten to a pulp, but I can't let slide this Mainland geography challenge. Perhaps the most famous example of disparate water levels isn't on Zindra, but rather the much older "Sutherland dam" on the border of that region and Wakeley. What may be unique about Zindra is that there are three levels of llWater in the same river system, the highest at 50m in Laffoon, falling to 37m in Pengallen Bridge, and to sea level (20m) at Oritz to the North and Terri to the South. 

Zindra as a continent really gets a bad rap. It has some very interesting geography with scattered double-prim regions in a useful variety of settings and zoning restrictions (join or no-join, terraform or no-terraform). There are explicitly Adult venues, of course (and to look at the Map you might think that's all there is) but the vast majority of the continent is residential and about as tame as Mainland was before the Adult Content policy made Zindra necessary.

Once upon a time there was a region named No that was one of several regions at the "end of the world" in SL. Literally, the end. The edge of the region was an enormous cliff. I know this is a fact because I owned land in No at the time and it really was the edge of mainland. You could not go any further. The difference in water level was more than 50 meters. Of course, LL added more regions on that edge in time and the cliff went poofers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Does the bee swarm "welcome" us too, BilliJo?

thats just on my platform, my main build on the ground doesnt have security, but it does have a real time visitor detector.

I’d be honored for you to visit Scylla, despite us being polar opposites on most issues, you seem like a cool person and would be fun to hang out with 😁

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
hitting on Scylla
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Lewis has been a resident since at least 2007.  https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Lewis_Nerd

I didn't know I had my own wikipedia page, although I'm relieve to see it's as exciting as the real me.  It looks like that was created back when I was an active newbie greeter, following on from my success in a similar role in a previous game.

My profile says birth date of 5th October 2005 in-game.  Apparently that was a Wednesday.  Likely evening as I'd have been at work during the day.

Edited by Lewis Nerd

4 minutes ago, Lewis Nerd said:

I didn't know I had my own wikipedia page, although I'm relieve to see it's as exciting as the real me.

My profile says 5th October 2005 in-game.  Apparently that was a Wednesday.  Likely evening as I'd have been at work during the day.

The wiki page is from when you certified. lol

SL Certification - Second Life Wiki

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And it is probably unpopular to point out that the one's on the one side will be debating on the opposite side of the fence in a couple of weeks when their own pet peeve sex kink is being discussed.

saw this on someones profile somewhere:

“my beliefs and opinions might change over time, but not the fact that I’m right”😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lewis Nerd said:

So you don't think "exclude adult content, assuming it's actually categorised properly" should be the default, with the user being able to decide for themselves if they want to experience it - rather than having to take steps to avoid it?

It is the default though. When you first create your account, your settings by default are set to General only, both inworld and on the MP, so you're asking for something to happen that's already happening, just the vast majority of SL fix it so they can go to all sorts of Sims 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ivy Mysterious said:

It is the default though. When you first create your account, your settings by default are set to General only, both inworld and on the MP, so you're asking for something to happen that's already happening, just the vast majority of SL fix it so they can go to all sorts of Sims 

It's been a very long time, and maybe I had a reason to visit a friend that happened to be on an 'adult' region - I don't know - but there are many reasons land could be set as 'adult' without involving what most people class as 'adult activities' - it might even have just been as innocent as to keep out unverified accounts which, at the time, were the throwaway domain of the griefers.  I survived the 10 metre flexidong grid takedowns on more than one occasion....

4 minutes ago, Lewis Nerd said:

It's been a very long time, and maybe I had a reason to visit a friend that happened to be on an 'adult' region - I don't know - but there are many reasons land could be set as 'adult' without involving what most people class as 'adult activities' - it might even have just been as innocent as to keep out unverified accounts which, at the time, were the throwaway domain of the griefers.  I survived the 10 metre flexidong grid takedowns on more than one occasion....

I encounter some stores in 'adult' regions even if they're not selling anything particularly adult (as in the sort of adult that would require the adult rating as per the rules). Not all since I think many recognize that the confusion over this possibly only harms business but I have seen it.

I can definitely see the purpose of all the region types but undoubtedly in SL you do need to sometimes visit adult regions for non-adult reasons, you would have to enable that tickbox eventually I think.

44 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

thats just on my platform, my main build on the ground doesnt have security, but it does have a real time visitor detector.

I’d be honored for you to visit Scylla, despite us being polar opposites on most issues, you seem like a cool person and would be fun to hang out with 😁

That's a very generous offer, BilliJo; thank you. I will take you up on it one day!

(As a friendly visit, arranged in advance of course, not as a snap inspection!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I can definitely see the purpose of all the region types but undoubtedly in SL you do need to sometimes visit adult regions for non-adult reasons, you would have to enable that tickbox eventually I think.

In 18 years of playing, it's inevitable that there must have been some innocent reasons. 

18 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

my fave scent was freshly done mimeographs, no one could resist that smell

I really do love the smell of construction paper, glue, paint, paper in general I guess, dough, clay, even powdered tempera paint has a lovely scent. I still use paste occasionally, because I love the scent of that too, it's just not a very good adhesive. 

Right now my classroom smells like leaves, apples and dirt, because we have a lot of nature projects happening. We have a bunch of leaves and dirt just chilling around the room and apple heads drying. 

That's one of the best parts of teaching, I get to engage my childhood brain and bring back all of the memories. Although it hasn't been very long since I experienced them firsthand, lmao.

None of this has anything to do with the thread, except that I like the scent of fall and it definitely affects my desire to decorate in sl for the season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Real SL? Nothing in SL is real. 

You're reaching hard with this one, careful you don't throw your back out.

I've been a resident of SL since 2004 and even I do not know the names of all the "continents" of SL.

You are misreading Lewis. Question is, is it deliberate.

She answered the question correctly.  The question she was responding to had nothing to do with continents...

8 hours ago, Lewis Nerd said:

So you don't think "exclude adult content, assuming it's actually categorised properly" should be the default, with the user being able to decide for themselves if they want to experience it - rather than having to take steps to avoid it?

8 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"No adult content" is ALREADY the default, you have to actively set your preferences to show A rated items in the MP, or to visit A rated regions in world.

If you actually KNEW ANYTHING about the REALSL instead of the imaginary one in your head, you'd have known that already.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.