Should LL re-brand SL now that "metaverse" is a thing again?

Eva Artemesia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am watching Glow Up on Netflix and there is an episode when the MUAs have to create a look that will be used in the "metaverse fashion week" with brands like Adidas and Dolce&Gabbana. I am looking at these poorly made cringy avatars and I think they are nothing compared to SL avatars.
I think it's time to re-brand or invest in ads by LL.
This is exactly the time in history that we, as community, can re-create a concept of Second Life that was lost in the past cause of many issue, major ones too. But SL is way beyond these other "metaverses", like the whole Oculus structure itself. If we show people how amazing the avatars and the landscapes are in SL, people will be willing to give it a try. We can work together again to allow new people to understand the virtual platform, create communities that help in a easier way the new accounts. I mean, ANYTHING in order to re-brand the metaverse. How many times do you hear people saying to you "Oh SL still exists?", and I always have to show them the amazing graphics, avatars and worlds in there.
People does not know.
People forgot SL.
There are so many ways to bring people in SL and show them the real giant difference between us and all the other stuff. It's time to come back, literally.
We as designers have demonstrated that we can have a flourishing community, helped by LL we could generate great incomes for everybody.
But now it's the time to do it.
What you think guys? Am I just being naive about it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Metaverse is a dead former buzz word by now IMHO.
That it still pops up in one or more TV shows will not change that fact.
Every dollar thrown at it nowadays is a dollar thrown away IMHO. The masses don't want SL like platforms with steep learning curves and no particular goals to achive.  And therefor SL is not interesting for RL companies.

Look at the Motown sim. First RL company that comes to SL in years.
Seldom a dot to be seen there, while the people are constantly partying one region next to it in the welcome hub estate.
It tells a story, that LL has to come up with and push events there, to make it look like something for their RL business customer IMHO.

I think that SL isn't a suitable environment for RL businesses,

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

Between Facebook's three flops and the NFT clown car, "metaverse" has a terrible name right now. Give it a year to turn around. There are some projects underway that might actually work.

SL's big problem is new user retention. I wonder how much WelcomeHub is helping with that.

WelcomeHub may start to work better once the teleport fix demoed at Server User Group last week is deployed. That seems to get avatars fully rezzed within 2-3 seconds, even in busy regions. It might fix the white/pink cloud problem, which is really bad at WelcomeHub. Go look. It's kind of embarrassing that the first thing a new user sees is broken avatars.

There seems to be, at long last, a serious push within LL to fix long-standing immersion breaking problems. This is great! New users won't put up with that stuff.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, animats said:

It might fix the white/pink cloud problem, which is really bad at WelcomeHub. Go look. It's kind of embarrassing that the first thing a new user sees is broken avatars.

Go look.  They move them up to a dressing room.  Some have been there for days which is why I'll assume they're someone's unregistered bots.  There was about 10-12 of them up there today.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Eva Artemesia said:

What you think guys? Am I just being naive about it?

Second Life has evolved over the last 20 years to be a small virtual world that requires considerable investment in time and money by the residents. It is privately held and the owners are operating it so as to be profitable, which is the only reason it still exists. It is hard for new residents to figure out how basic things work. Many come here but very few stay. This is not something that can be fixed by branding.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

Second Life has evolved over the last 20 years to be a small virtual world that requires considerable investment in time and money by the residents. It is privately held and the owners are operating it so as to be profitable, which is the only reason it still exists. It is hard for new residents to figure out how basic things work. Many come here but very few stay. This is not something that can be fixed by branding.

This, pretty much. I often joke about how SL isn't intuitive even after a decade of experience.

It's not even because of problems with the viewer (we don't even have to go there), but because every brand/store has their own way of doing things. It's always a bit of a learning process when everything feels so inconsistent.

That's the nature of "everything is created by other users" and while it sets SL apart from many other virtual worlds, there's also sacrifices made along the way.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think Horizon Worlds being a bit of a flop with no obvious purpose is probably tainting the term 'metaverse' right now and really, it's one of these nebulous tech terms anyway, doesn't make a whole lot of sense with no strict definition. Could start to use it for the marketing clout but once again that runs the risk of people associating you with Zuckerberg's VR Roblox-alike corporate weirdness.

"Virtual world" is just fine right now I think. Suspect with the launch of a mobile client and a rapidly growing userbase once again (ideally) things might change and maybe LL do have some secret plan for  the next era but right now SL is just a Virtual World, it doesn't seek to be as all-encompassing as most definitions of metaverse seem to be.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Metaverse Fashion Week had a showing in SL in 2022. The models and clothes look awesome.

The owner of Blueberry helped recreate the designer's line in SL, but I don't think the SL versions were ever for sale in SL. 😥

All of the models floating above the ground... like... they put so much effort into it and then that slipped through!?

Surely a real fashion designer would be screaming at those girls to stop floating and lose a few pounds while they're at it!

• Haha 4

On 10/3/2023 at 5:15 PM, AmeliaJ08 said:

All of the models floating above the ground... like... they put so much effort into it and then that slipped through!?

Surely a real fashion designer would be screaming at those girls to stop floating and lose a few pounds while they're at it!

Also, who invited that 8' tall man?

/me ... shakes head and grumbles about proportions and life drawing class

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Also, who invited that 8' tall man?

/me ... shakes head and grumbles about proportions and life drawing class

That's the Designer. I think it says something about him that he had to be over a head taller than the models. Also, the models were bots on a track, so at least the only women who had to deal with the designer regularly for this show were probably the owner of Blueberry and her assistants.

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

That's the Designer. I think it says something about him that he had to be over a head taller than the models. Also, the models were bots on a track, so at least the only women who had to deal with the designer regularly for this show were probably the owner of Blueberry and her assistants.

Can we chill with hateful comments like this? It comes off as if you're calling him a sex pest or someone who would take advantage of women, and for what?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

5 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Can we chill with hateful comments like this? It comes off as if you're calling him a sex pest or someone who would take advantage of women, and for what?

I read this as a mildly humorous comment with absolutely no implication of harassment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.