Help Need Please!!!!!!

Xiyuanbbb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I halfway don't get why things like this are still happening when SL and MMOs are decades old now. You'd think the idea of a 'metaverse' would be as "old" as "the Internet" - and yet a few years ago the entire world went nuts because Zuckerberg "discovered" America... er, the Metaverse. But just like with Columbus - people had already been there for ages but the wrong guy got the credit anyway.

Like...

What are we doing here and why is this topic still coming up?

It's true that virtual worlds like Second Life and MMOs have been around for decades, and the concept of a 'metaverse' isn't new. The idea of a shared, immersive online space where people can interact, create, and socialize has been a part of internet culture for a long time. However, recent advancements in technology and changes in society have reignited interest and discussions about the 'metaverse.'

The renewed interest can be attributed to several factors. First, technological advancements have made virtual reality and augmented reality more accessible and engaging, allowing for a more immersive and realistic experience within these virtual environments. This has captured the attention of a broader audience, including individuals and companies outside the traditional gaming or virtual world communities.

Secondly, the COVID-19 pandemic significantly accelerated the adoption of virtual platforms and remote collaboration tools. People turned to virtual spaces for social interactions, work meetings, conferences, and even shopping when physical interactions were limited. This increased usage highlighted the potential of virtual spaces to serve various purposes beyond gaming.

Lastly, prominent figures and companies, like Mark Zuckerberg and Meta (formerly Facebook), have brought mainstream attention to the concept of the 'metaverse' through ambitious projects and investments. Their involvement has sparked discussions in the mainstream media, attracting a wider audience and prompting conversations about the future of virtual spaces and their integration into our daily lives.

In essence, while the concept of the 'metaverse' isn't new, recent technological advancements and shifts in societal behavior have rejuvenated interest and highlighted its potential impact on how we interact, work, and socialize in the digital age.

Last but not least, could you share a little bit about how your virtual experience affect your real-life consumption?

11 minutes ago, Xiyuanbbb said:

It's true that virtual worlds like Second Life and MMOs have been around for decades, and the concept of a 'metaverse' isn't new. The idea of a shared, immersive online space where people can interact, create, and socialize has been a part of internet culture for a long time. However, recent advancements in technology and changes in society have reignited interest and discussions about the 'metaverse.'

The renewed interest can be attributed to several factors. First, technological advancements have made virtual reality and augmented reality more accessible and engaging, allowing for a more immersive and realistic experience within these virtual environments. This has captured the attention of a broader audience, including individuals and companies outside the traditional gaming or virtual world communities.

Secondly, the COVID-19 pandemic significantly accelerated the adoption of virtual platforms and remote collaboration tools. People turned to virtual spaces for social interactions, work meetings, conferences, and even shopping when physical interactions were limited. This increased usage highlighted the potential of virtual spaces to serve various purposes beyond gaming.

Lastly, prominent figures and companies, like Mark Zuckerberg and Meta (formerly Facebook), have brought mainstream attention to the concept of the 'metaverse' through ambitious projects and investments. Their involvement has sparked discussions in the mainstream media, attracting a wider audience and prompting conversations about the future of virtual spaces and their integration into our daily lives.

In essence, while the concept of the 'metaverse' isn't new, recent technological advancements and shifts in societal behavior have rejuvenated interest and highlighted its potential impact on how we interact, work, and socialize in the digital age.

I'd be careful of this, this op has a thread open in another forum begging for stuff to be bought for them.

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The more said, the less this sounds like any type of "study".  Certainly not consistent with others who have come by with one.  Where is the questionnaire?  Random answers to vague questions doesn't seem like the correct procedure.

I suggest that perhaps, maybe, possibly, this thread belongs in the RolePlay Forum..

1 minute ago, belindacarson said:

I'd be careful of this, this op has a thread open in another forum begging for stuff to be bought for them.

Why you say this? I have never opened a thread in another forum. If you said this, do you have any evidence?????

I am just a researcher, I have no reason to do this.....

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There could be a "butterfly effect" between the virtual and real worlds, whereby purchasing a mesh clothing outfit in SL, affects the price of tea in China in RL. IJS.

In my case there is a “chilling effect.” As I own numerous yachts in Second Life which cost tens of dollars, I have no need to purchase the same in RL, decreasing my country’s GDP by millions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Xiyuanbbb said:

Could you share how SL changes your real life behaviour? Consumption patterns? If not, why?

This isn't a particularly profound nor original thought, but dragging it into the thread anyway: I'm among those who try to keep SL as distinct from RL as possible. It's not about hiding RL (although privacy counts too), but more about using SL as a kind of vacation from RL, a place to uncover and examine unconscious assumptions imposed by RL situation.

Others choose their SL to match RL more closely, and for those maybe there's some meaningful overlap in consumption patterns.

Either way, though, the effect seems pretty strongly directed from RL to SL: Qie gets to wear stuff starkly different from anything his typist would wear. That's all part of why they're kept so separate. If instead I'd chosen to make Qie similar to the typist, the arrow would be part of that definition, too: RL directly affecting SL choices.

There may be exceptions where we "discover" some choice in SL that gets incorporated (consciously or not) in our RL, whether it matches or contrasts with pre-existing RL patterns. That's possible, if a bit "tail wags the dog."

(As I hinted before, and Luna picked up on it, I think the more economically significant effect is how virtual consumption displaces RL consumption altogether. That's not good for RL marketing, though, where all the money is—for now.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Xiyuanbbb said:

[snip]

FYI, most people on these forums laugh at Zuckerburg's version of a metaverse.

On one hand most of these other virtual world platforms are sanitized to be safe for work. SL has the option for adult activities which the others lack, and these interests make up a significant part of the SL economy.

One the other hand, while SL has a strong free market economy, it's also free from real world advertising, marketing algorithms, and personal data collection that could be sold to real world companies.

It's in some ways strangely separate from RL trends, yet not totally separate. Preferred body shapes have been influenced by RL trends. Clothing styles probably are, yet also seem a bit behind RL trends. Some people in SL like to wear newer RL fashions, but many stay with styles that are years out of date even by SL standards. All these variations in taste and styles are accepted, both RL trends and those of some odd SL sub-cultures.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I am thinking the original posters posts are AI generated. Longer responses are coming quickly and they are word salads and stating obvious things.

I considered this possibility too. Maybe the test is to see how we respond to AI generated posts and responses?

One way to test whether the OP is a 🤖, would be to respond with emojis.

Do U 👍 😀  🍰 or 🥧 ?

Is the 🎂 real?

What do these 3 things have in common ? 🧔 🍺 🥃 ?

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

Hmm. Judging by the OP's misspelling of the university name and the content of the word salad posts, I'm inclined to go along with the idea that both of her threads and posts are AI generated. And that's a pity, because I've just come out of the shower, smelling gorgeous, and totally up for a wonderful inworld encounter with her as 'my girl' :(

I'm sulking :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

This thread was also started by the original poster. it mentions an avatar boyfriend.

Earlier today I checked the OP’s inworld profile. It was completely blank.

A relationship or marriage in SL lasting  around 3 days sounds about average.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BillFletcher said:
On 9/18/2023 at 5:46 AM, Xiyuanbbb said:

I am a Ph.D. student

a BS degree, we all know what BS stands for

MS is more of the same

a PhD is just piled higher and deeper;

I hope you receive surgery from a highly educated person. If you don't, you're in big trouble.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BillFletcher said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I hope you receive surgery from a highly educated person. If you don't, you're in big trouble.

LOL I heard that joke decades ago from someone with a PhD and I just couldn't resist sharing it. 

lol I see

I use a surgeon in one of my comebacks in 2nd life, and so is fresh in my mind.

People have tried to hire me for very cheap prices (like pennies for an hours worth of work), and say that I should do their job so cheaply because since I'm at artist I could complete it in very little time.  I say to them, should a surgeon receive pennies for a job because it only takes them a minute to make the cut?  In other words, it takes a whole lot of time and training to know where to make that 'cut'.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I am thinking the original posters posts are AI generated. Longer responses are coming quickly and they are word salads and stating obvious things.

Good eye! I'm still pre-coffee and half awake, so I only gave it a quick skim, but I'm inclined to agree just based on the the stark difference in writing between the first posts and those alone.

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I considered this possibility too. Maybe the test is to see how we respond to AI generated posts and responses?

One way to test whether the OP is a 🤖, would be to respond with emojis.

Do U 👍 😀  🍰 or 🥧 ?

Is the 🎂 real?

What do these 3 things have in common ? 🧔 🍺 🥃 ?

Bots have some absolutely hilarious takes when you prompt them with emojis.

As for the OP's question, I have nothing to add as I've never encountered SL products in RL and having a real collection of heads is generally frowned upon.

• Haha 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.