inquiring about something

karenx0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hiee!! it's me again (yes, after a long time)

today morning (my morning) while having breakfast, i was wondering to offer/share some knowledge on interior design, of course free of charge, and i could put that under the SL education and non-profits forum,, but the thing is, not everyone would be paying interest, i mean some may be interested and i give them the time to teach but they can leave at some point. now my question is, if i set a certain fee to join the group for the teaching, would be still ok post it under the SL education and non-profit forum? 🤔

pretty please with a strawberry on top don't judge me.. just a thought :D im open to opinions & constructive criticism :D

8 minutes ago, karenx0 said:

hiee!! it's me again (yes, after a long time)

today morning (my morning) while having breakfast, i was wondering to offer/share some knowledge on interior design, of course free of charge, and i could put that under the SL education and non-profits forum,, but the thing is, not everyone would be paying interest, i mean some may be interested and i give them the time to teach but they can leave at some point. now my question is, if i set a certain fee to join the group for the teaching, would be still ok post it under the SL education and non-profit forum? 🤔

pretty please with a strawberry on top don't judge me.. just a thought :D im open to opinions & constructive criticism :D

if you think your activity belongs to: 

Allowed:
We encourage you to participate by posting any discussions among Educational and Non-profit organizations with a presence in Second Life, as well as anything related to discussions about educational and non-profit organizations with a presence in Second Life or how to bring educational and non-profit work into Second Life.

( for me it doesn't sound like it is)

Your trying to learn them some decoration placement, that's not exactly the same as described in the guidelines.

1 hour ago, karenx0 said:

just a thought

Since you're not an educational institution it doesn't seem that would be a good fit.

You might try posting in Events, having ongoing events to pass on your interior design knowledge to others.

Also, you might get more response by posting your teaching events @ Discord, in the SL Homework Club...looks like they funnel in classes from Builder's Brewery, Dreams, Caledon, and other places.  I see classes coming up on Npose, PBR, beginning & advanced building, scripting,  LOD optimization, and more. They have an Events Calendar you can check out:

https://discord.gg/gGWqbH8s

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if you think your activity belongs to: 

( for me it doesn't sound like it is)

Your trying to learn them some decoration placement, that's not exactly the same as described in the guidelines.

so are you saying these organizations have to be RL based but with the touch of Second Life? Or at least having any kind of organization in SL that has been teaching from a long time like Builder's Brewery?

2 minutes ago, karenx0 said:
13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Since you're not an educational institution it doesn't seem that would be a good fit.

Ok, what about like a "boot camp"? Would that be fair?

Since you're not an educational institution but just one person who does not even appear to have a 1st life presence in this area then "boot camp" would not seem to fit.

You could always post and see if it gets removed, or ping a moderator and ask. 

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

No, really.  I do.  But then someone will quote you and you've obviously quoted me so then I have to see which of my posts you were referring to...

Kind of how this place has worked for like... ever. Sadly. One of those often requested things for them to "fix" like giving us more emoticons to respond to a post, but that's been a feature here for years. Most of us who have been here for a while know this...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

eject those people from your class after the 1st infraction!

and hence why i mentioned about a certain "join fee" that'd be a one time thing :3 cus i dont want to waste my precious time into teaching someone something out with my heart only to know they up and left :3

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, karenx0 said:
2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

eject those people from your class after the 1st infraction!

and hence why i mentioned about a certain "join fee" that'd be a one time thing :3 cus i dont want to waste my precious time into teaching someone something out with my heart only to know they up and left :3

Yes, also there are those who think everything is just roleplaying and don't consider they're wasting your time when they start acting up and being brats.

• Like 1

However you set it up, I have a piece of advice for you, if you have never taught in SL before:

Sit on something. A chair, a poseball, a speaker's podium.

The very first time I stood up to teach in front of a class, some clown orbited me and it took me five minutes to get back to the classroom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Long ago when I was teaching classes the best place to "advertise" was in the EVENTS classifieds (not the forums as not that many folks read the forums really. We are kind of "niche" which isn't a bad thing  just limits things) .

Personally I think it is going to be difficult to get folks to pay a group fee or even take part for free.   Realistically "I" could give classes in home styling as I have taken RL classes.  If you have a DEGREE in home decorating then certainly put that in your ad.   

In years past it was much easier to get folks into classrooms (not role play but actual learning classes). These days enthusiasm seems very much down in that area so if this doesn't work out -- don't think it is "you" = it most likely is NOT :D.  Good luck.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, karenx0 said:

[…]  i was wondering to offer/share some knowledge on interior design
[…] some may be interested and i give them the time to teach

That's a big leap there, from wanting to share knowledge of a subject to the approach of teaching it in a synchronous classroom setting. Anything that requires avatars to be simultaneously present for an extended period greatly constrains the potential audience to those for whom that timeslot is a viable time to be in-world and not otherwise committed.

That's true of all social Events, of course, and I enjoy in-world learning events and discussions more than, say, music (with rare exceptions), and folks need something to do, but teaching  a class really needs to be a labor of love because there are usually more efficient ways to share knowledge, especially with an SL timezone-distributed audience.

Some exceptions:

• Hands-on "laboratory" training on in-world subjects such as building, script use, etc., where the instructor really needs to be able to coach the learners as they acquire a skill.
  • Interactive learning where one audience member's question or comment can enrich the experience for others. (Teachers who facilitate this are the best in the biz.)
  • … and undoubtedly others

but usually there are other competing alternatives to consider:

• blog posts, forums posts, or even a wiki article if it's going to be the definitive work on a topic
  • articles for in-world "books" or "magazines" (maybe?)
  • YouTube videos
  • podcasts (theoretically, although SL-specific ones are… a taste I've not acquired myself)
  • in-world installations (for all about bees and beekeeping, for example) or scripted tours

with the advantage that learners can absorb the material at their own pace, repeating as necessary, on their own asynchronous schedule.

Whether or not to charge for membership in a class group is a long way into a decision tree about how to share knowledge about a topic, and if it's come to this decision I'd maybe make sure about the decisions that got me out on this branch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

However you set it up, I have a piece of advice for you, if you have never taught in SL before:

The very first time I stood up to teach in front of a class, some clown orbited me and it took me five minutes to get back to the classroom.

These days you can teach from orbit, you know.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

If you have a DEGREE in home decorating then certainly put that in your ad. 

Yes, I *DO* have a degree in interior design, and this is why i love to do that on SL as well. And this is also the reason why I was wondering to take this attempt :D

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Well, I don't think sitting would be necessary since everything would be practical :v [yes no classrooms] but it won't be a rp either.

56 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

teaching it in a synchronous classroom setting.

I never said anything about having it in a classroom. But what you are answering is not what I asked. And what I asked has been already answered by quite a few other people regarding this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.