Have the forums changed?

cirleen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, QuietEventide said:

Well I for one only have one (1) account on these forums and have never posted here under any other name.
I have one alt on SL itself but that alt is not on this forum.

I know not everyone does that but then it was said that every thread gets closed, that isn't true either

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

I know not everyone does that but then it was said that every thread gets closed, that isn't true either

I realise that my earlier post (on page 8) was poorly phrased.
My exact words were "Threads do seem to get locked.

----------------------
Correction:
On page 8 in this thread, I should have written "Some threads do seem to get locked."
----------------------

It was not my intention to mean "every thread". But I could have phrased the post better.
I have seen some threads get locked, including one thread where I had also posted.
I was interested in seeing how that particular thread was going to develop.
But since that other thread was locked, there was no further development.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, QuietEventide said:

I realise that my earlier post (on page 😎 was poorly phrased.
My exact words were "Threads do seem to get locked.

----------------------
Correction:
On page 8 in this thread, I should have written "Some threads do seem to get locked."
----------------------

It was not my intention to mean "every thread". But I could have phrased the post better.
I have seen some threads get locked, including one thread where I had also posted.
I was interested in seeing how that particular thread was going to develop.
But since that other thread was locked, there was no further development.

Someone else posted all threads get locked, and that there's only 7 posters. So, I'm not 100% certain Bill was referring to your post, I only saw the other person's post. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

the one it tried to replace ran to hundreds of pages over years and years.

Now you know why it was left to rot. Like I have tried to explain to others, threads can and do get to the point where they no longer function properly. But what do I know? I've only owned, skinned and admined a few forums over the past 30 years.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Now you know why it was left to rot. Like I have tried to explain to others, threads can and do get to the point where they no longer function properly. But what do I know? I've only owned, skinned and admined a few forums over the past 30 years.

You're right!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, InnerCity Elf said:

😅

PS: I just questioned my motive today, and I fear it's about 99% procrastination with a 1% sprinkle of wassup in the forums.

I'm in here generally 75% for self-validation (positive responses), 15% interest in the news & drama, 10% interest in what others think and say.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Fixed my percentages
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm in here generally 80% for self-validation (positive responses), 10% interest in the news & drama, 10% interest in what others think and say.

I'm here so I have other people to talk with other than the husband. Turns out he doesn't "get" women any more than the next guy. lol

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Someone else posted all threads get locked, and that there's only 7 posters. So, I'm not 100% certain Bill was referring to your post, I only saw the other person's post. 

This is true it was not her post I had responded to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/28/2023 at 7:33 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

Do bets close when the thread is locked? If not, there are plenty of old threads that can still be resurrected. 

I'm surprised this board is not set up to auto-close threads after a certain time.  The amateur radio board I help Mod on has a 6 month auto-lock for any thread not touched in that amount of time.  I think recently there was a 10+ year old thread that got bought back alive and a Mole came in and slapped a lock on it and told whoever necroposted to make a fresh one.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The forums were pretty quiet before the shutdowns going on around the world.. I mean you had activity and some political talk because of the orange guy, but  in 2020  more and more got cooped up into their homes, more and more came to, or back to second life and the forums.. The forums became more active during the covid period than they had been in a good while.

I really agree with this...I didn't come straight back to SL when Covid hit, but I spent almost all of my time online, doing Japanese lessons or watching people DJ/play live on Twitch or watching documentaries. The first thing I remember about GD around July or August 2020 was a Covid thread (where one poster was talking about being locked in her building and couldn't get out? :|), and massive arguments about BLM (and LL banning people who put up Trump campaign adverts inworld)...but also some completely nutty threads about music, animals and 'what would you do?' situations that wouldn't last an hour now...quite a few were fun :)

But there was also quite a bit of SL content, like the reactions when Carmen King started doing SL videos (or the unpopular blue alien promotional video xD)

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Rat Luv said:

I really agree with this...I didn't come straight back to SL when Covid hit, but I spent almost all of my time online, doing Japanese lessons or watching people DJ/play live on Twitch or watching documentaries. The first thing I remember about GD around July or August 2020 was a Covid thread (where one poster was talking about being locked in her building and couldn't get out? :|), and massive arguments about BLM (and LL banning people who put up Trump campaign adverts inworld)...but also some completely nutty threads about music, animals and 'what would you do?' situations that wouldn't last an hour now...quite a few were fun :)

That year was like being on another planet though...I find it hard to compare it to now or any other time. I remember waking up at 4.30am once and couldn't sleep, so looked up Youtube and just lay in bed watching streamers in the middle of a live riot in Portland until daybreak...RL felt like constant chaos, maybe the forums reflected that?

But there was also quite a bit of SL content, like the reactions when Carmen King started doing SL videos (or the unpopular blue alien promotional video xD)

Anyway, yes...I think there has definitely been a change with the new GD rules, and also in general in the world, where people now seem almost embarrassed to admit that 2020 happened ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Man, those were the days!

• Like 1

I think that there have been changes in the forums from when I first started reading the forums in 2014, to this version of the forums (which started in 2017 under Invision), to the current day. 

Perhaps more importantly I've changed, myself, especially in regards to what I want to see or get out of being a member of a forums community.  I did post more often from 2017, with the new version of the forums software, up until a year or two ago.   There were times when I really have felt a part of the community here.  Then, there were also times when I just stopped reading threads in the General Discussion section - I come to SL, and by extension, the forums, to relax and get away from real life issues and worries.   It's not that I'm not concerned or worried about the state of things in real life, it's just that I prefer to focus on those in other areas and times of my life, not necessarily as part of my relaxing and recharging time.

Joining communities, making friends, takes a lot of energy for me.  After realizing during the Covid shutdown that I was perfectly fine with staying home and being a recluse, I've been working on getting out more, joining communities and making stronger bonds with friends in the real world.  

I still enjoy reading most sections of the forums, posting pictures from time to time, and sometimes even posting a comment or two. 

Through the forums, I've learned so much about SL and have been so inspired by what others have shared,  and I continue to learn and be inspired. 

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Perhaps more importantly I've changed, myself

A critical point. Both that we, usually, do change, in some regards, and aren't the same person that used the forum ten or five or even one year ago, and as well that we don't change (much) in other regards, while the forum environment, most of all the users, also do/don't change. Other old users like us change/don't change in the same way we do, new users add themselves to the mix, it's all constantly in flux.

Also applies to "in-world SL", to SL roleplay, and real life at large, I guess.

Our feelings about the forum probably depend a lot on our ability to adapt and the effort we put in to get out of it what we're looking for at any time.

18 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

And so, there is an objective every person has with each post, even you, and even if you choose not to be aware of it as you post. I don't see anything wrong with posting that way, and it can be quite fun and playful. I only see this more subconscious way of posting as a problem if someone is using the forum as a way to dump their anger on others, tear others down, or act in a generally disruptive manner.

Jokes and play are a universal language and it's good to be aware of the possible effect of words we write & pictures we post. We may not see the forest through the trees. Jokes and play, from what I understand were harshly done to the point of harmfulness in forums of the past. Play is a common language, a way to convey a thought or feeling that's easily understood. Reiki and feng shui are more effective but people are sometimes hesitant to engage in something they may not understand and may not want to learn about. I agree totally with what you said, we should be aware if our intention is to cheer or to harm others and compassion goes a long way, it's not always superficial why people do the things they do. A little tolerance is a good thing.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.