deserted Gorean sims and combat in my time zone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have to ask...

We have these roleplaying sims in SL where Nazi scenarios are played out, and plantations where the horrors of slavery are enacted. Most believe these should not be prevented from occurring as they are just roleplay, but a large number of people find such things rather distasteful even if no harm is supposedly being done by them.

Yet with Gor, an enactment of women being dominated and brutalized by men, simply doesn't garner the level of disapproval that these other two scenarios do.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

While lesser gravity would make a person lighter and would allow for one leaping a short distance to leap much farther than intended, it would also considerably slow such person. 

John Carter is based on this exact same mistake.

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

t seems to me that you left, or escaped into an alt, just because you couldn't get your way.

I know it might seem real ... but this is a forum about a make believe world.

Just now, Gabriele Graves said:

Don't we think it would be better to let bygones be bygones?  It was a set of topics that went crazy and we all did our part.  Recriminations aren't going to help any of us though.  I hope @Coffee Pancake does decide to keep posting here despite obviously still being quite upset about it all.

No, I have no desire to walk the same circles with the same people.

I'm in this thread because the OP asked a plain question and the forum did a forum.

This contrived world we have is fragile and we are bleeding out core communities. They don't go with a bang and drama. They just  .. leave. The grid is littered with abandoned ghost builds that persist due to sunk cost, halls fit for a king and court, and all just empty silent prims.

The Goreans are missed as they formed a huge cultural block.

These forums aren't just out of touch, they are irrelevant. The participating cohort is tiny and often not invested in the core platform in a meaningful way. There is no purpose being here.

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not one to hold grudges, but I also see when something needs to be nipped in the bud before it expands...again.

No fun but the allowed fun, eh Luna 😘 .. I'm sorry you've forgotten we dated for a while and why that all came crashing down.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I think you'll find the answers to this have already been written.  As @Ceka Cianci might say, they can be found under File 13.

I don't it would be a wise choice of direction to take this topic.

I don't want to see Gor glorified, and I am attempting to take it away from that direction..

19 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Most of the people who enjoy and read Gor are women

So many citations required . . . and even were this so, so what?

20 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

it's not allowed

It gets boring -- I mean, really boring -- responding to this falsehood, Coffee.

Not a single person here has said it is not, or should not be "allowed." We've said it is idiotic, which is nowhere near the same thing.

You've made this misrepresentation, portraying people who happen not to agree with what has frankly become your idée fixe here as prudes, "pearl-clutchers," and elitists over and over again. It's an ad hominem that you have been employing consistently to clumsily avoid the real points people have been making, and it's frankly becoming insulting.

While I too am happy to see Coffee back again, this thread looks as though it is about to become yet another sacrificial victim to her obsession, and I for one have better things, like calculating the thread count of my tee shirt, to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

John Carter is based on this exact same mistake.

John Carter wasn't born on Mars/Barsoom. Burroughs also wrote those books long before the 60s, 1912 - 1943.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Rice_Burroughs#Barsoom_series

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I have to ask...

We have these roleplaying sims in SL where Nazi scenarios are played out, and plantations where the horrors of slavery are enacted. Most believe these should not be prevented from occurring as they are just roleplay, but a large number of people find such things rather distasteful even if no harm is supposedly being done by them.

Yet with Gor, an enactment of women being dominated and brutalized by men, simply doesn't garner the level of disapproval that these other two scenarios do.

Nazi scenarios and roleplaying slavery and plantations are considered distasteful and offensive by many, given the atrocities associated with these historical events. Such RP could be perceived as trivializing or normalizing past horrors, potentially desensitizing people to real-world consequences. On the other hand, the fictional world of Gor, with its power dynamics, may be unsettling to some, but it is acknowledged as purely fictional, allowing consenting adults to engage in RP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Hunny Bunny said:

Nazi scenarios and roleplaying slavery and plantations are considered distasteful and offensive by many, given the atrocities associated with these historical events. Such RP could be perceived as trivializing or normalizing past horrors, potentially desensitizing people to real-world consequences. On the other hand, the fictional world of Gor, with its power dynamics, may be unsettling to some, but it is acknowledged as purely fictional, allowing consenting adults to engage in RP.

"Sorry honey, we can't RP as Nazis or slave-owners. Would you settle for Gor?"

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So many citations required . . . and even were this so, so what?

It gets boring -- I mean, really boring -- responding to this falsehood, Coffee.

Not a single person here has said it is not, or should not be "allowed." We've said it is idiotic, which is nowhere near the same thing.

You've made this misrepresentation, portraying people who happen not to agree with what has frankly become your idée fixe here as prudes, "pearl-clutchers," and elitists over and over again. It's an ad hominem that you have been employing consistently to clumsily avoid the real points people have been making, and it's frankly becoming insulting.

While I too am happy to see Coffee back again, this thread looks as though it is about to become yet another sacrificial victim to her obsession, and I for one have better things, like calculating the thread count of my tee shirt, to do.

So you re-frame my commentary to suit your own views and then attack me with it.

This is the game here. Not the actual game we're supposed to be playing .. which weirdly has a tremendous amount of people involved in humping and humping adjacent activities.

The happy people are playing the game, not throwing mud on the forums (or trying to nip things in the bud).

Taking the sex out of second life would be like taking the cars out of grand theft auto. yet everyone here just wants to take their cousin bowling.

How very forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wait, we're not dumb if we disagree? Yay!!!

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't want to see Gor glorified, and I am attempting to take it away from that direction..

But some never seem to understand that the more they rail against it, the more there will be those who wonder what they are missing that it results in such negative reactions.

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

So you re-frame my commentary

I am not "reframing" anything -- I am quoting you verbatim. And you do it again here, just to prove my point:

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Taking the sex out of second life would be like taking the cars out of grand theft auto.

Not a single person, NO ONE, has said we should "take the sex out of Second Life."

THAT is "reframing," Coffee. More than that, it's a gross misrepresentation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

While everyone here misses the point and debates Gor.

What's left of Gor is quiet because everyone left. They are on discord and play other games, Conan exiles with mods being one. The only Goreans left in SL are the fringes trying to keep one foot in more than one world.

This place was stagnant and expensive so they found somewhere better.

It's that simple and has nothing to do with Gor (etc) being faddish (it's not), or anything else the 'armchair generals' opining on the forums might imagine or project.

Found the quote! I see nothing about sex here.

13 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Now ask what happened to the furry and anime communities ..

I'm afraid to ask, I thought we were still here! * does a self-check *

I seem to be here, maybe I'm "not all there"?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The entire point of Gorean roleplay is sex.

Thanks!  (I assumed it was "power over women".)

Eww.

So I guess your point then is, "Second Life sex is 'bad', so that's why they left.."?

I'm trying really, really hard to read between the lines, here! Your original quote which I posted above, did not lead me down that path.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The entire point of Gorean roleplay is sex.

I'd quibble with that though it might have been true for some. It also extols the virtues of honor, integrity, and valor for both men and women though that sometimes does get lost on those who are hung up on the sexual aspects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

As has been discussed before, Gor is fictional, so it's not the same as romatisizing Nazis or antebellum slave owners. There is much rp that I find personally distasteful in SL, yet it doesn't bother me that other people enjoy it. There are a few types I'd like to have eliminated from SL, but as with all things SL, the solution is to ignore those sims and those people.

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This contrived world we have is fragile and we are bleeding out core communities. They don't go with a bang and drama. They just  .. leave. The grid is littered with abandoned ghost builds that persist due to sunk cost, halls fit for a king and court, and all just empty silent prims.

The Goreans are missed as they formed a huge cultural block.

😘

Gorean RP is responsible for the creation of a huge amount of good SL content - buildings, furniture, animates tasks, quasi-historical clothing, weapons and combat systems, bellidance outfits, musical instruments, sexy dance animations, etc. It's also paid for alot of sims over the years and given people active places where they could roleplay and socialize. 

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't think modern society is in any danger from the outdated anti-feminist philosophies of Gorean RP.

Remember too that a large number of the players are women who enjoy playing submissive to men. To each their own. It doesn't hurt me any if they act out those fantasies in SL. It doesn't hurt me if they roleplay being kidnapped, enslaved or abused. It's somebody else's pixels, not mine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Gorean RP is responsible for the creation of a huge amount of good SL content - buildings, furniture, animates tasks, quasi-historical clothing, weapons and combat systems, bellidance outfits, musical instruments, sexy dance animations, etc. It's also paid for alot of sims over the years and given people active places where they could roleplay and socialize. 

Yes! I think old Prim content gets a bad rap (rep?). Whaevs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.