Alts in the forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, FullPermBliss said:

Are you sure you're not just fixated on someone, imagining they're everywhere, and for nefarious purposes?

That can happen you know   :(

Nope and it's not you but I do now know 2 of yours so thanks!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Technically, it's only sock puppeting if they are bringing in an alt account to participate in an argument the main account is embroiled in.

Yep, that's what I really meant by this:

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Most often, we catch "sock puppets" because they have a low post count and enter a thread to agree with an "unpopular opinion", etc. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
10 minutes ago, FullPermBliss said:

Are you sure you're not just fixated on someone, imagining they're everywhere, and for nefarious purposes?

That can happen you know   :(

Nope and it's not you but I do now know 2 of yours so thanks!

I have hidden myself so well I can't possibly believe you have detected who I am.

• Haha 3

Sometimes alts can be used inworld for purely practical purposes - testing permissions, as models for clothing, trying animations in furniture, as roleplay characters or shop assistants, etc. I think alts can also be fun to use. I like to give my alts different personalities and interests, sort of like characters in a book. They can represents different sides of my personality or different moods. I'm very fond of my alts Alycia and Tasha, because they're not just copies of regular me. My guy alt is unfortunately still rather boring, because I have a hard time imagining myself as a male character. I don't use my alts to inflate my status on the forums or have arguments with other people, though sometimes Alycia and I bicker a bit. Tasha (a wolf) also dislikes pickles, though I don't myself.

I'm pretty transparent about my alts - except for the newbie I recently made to view the Welcome Hub from the perspective of a new user. I haven't released her name to the public yet. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm pretty transparent about my alts - except for the newbie I recently made to view the Welcome Hub from the perspective of a new user. I haven't released her name to the public yet. 

Speaking of the Welcome Hub and our investigations there, mentors and assistant mentor were messaging with so much help I had to run off quickly because I didn't want to be wasting their time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

After the 3rd and sometimes 4th alt that uses the forums, I just find it amusing.  Heck, there might even be a 5th by now.   

So many telling clues without utterance, there are.

*sips tea Kermit the Frog style*

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
9 minutes ago, FullPermBliss said:

I have hidden myself so well I can't possibly believe you have detected who I am.

Another to ignore!

Your name is 'love' right?  That's an interesting name...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Speaking of the Welcome Hub and our investigations there, mentors and assistant mentor were messaging with so much help I had to run off quickly because I didn't want to be wasting their time.

I didn't want to waste their time either, so I told the 2 mentors I talked with that I was a regular resident who wanted to check out the new Welcome Hub. 

• Like 1

I have never nor will ever post on these forums with an alt unless I make it perfectly clear that it's my alt.  What one does inworld.with alts is none of my business.  Here, to me, is entirely different and I think the majority of people posting aren't playing a role (as some use alts for inworld).  I do have a Twitter under an unused alts name.  I don't post there, though.  I use it to read some SL content.

Considering who started this, I find the topic disingenuous.  Are you looking for.an OK from everyone?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I didn't want to waste their time either, so I told the 2 mentors I talked with that I was a regular resident who wanted to check out the new Welcome Hub. 

Can't you go to the welcome hub as a regular resident? If I were a mentor I'd be wondering why someone has to create a brand new alt to check out the Hub. 

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

I have never nor will ever post on these forums with an alt unless I make it perfectly clear that it's my alt.  What one does inworld.with alts is none of my business.  Here, to me, is entirely different and I think the majority of people posting aren't playing a role (as some use alts for inworld).  I do have a Twitter under an unused alts name.  I don't post there, though.  I use it to read some SL content.

Considering who started this, I find the topic disingenuous.  Are you looking for.an OK from everyone?

Interesting, Rowan...I did have a feeling that I knew them.  I do need to trust my gut more.

10 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:
13 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Can't you go to the welcome hub as a regular resident? If I were a mentor I'd be wondering why someone has to create a brand new alt to check out the Hub. 

well for me it was just a bit of roleplay and fun, pretending I was a new resident entering the world.   ahhhh...the good old days.

• Confused 1

Personally, I don't have any problems with alts posting in the forums.  I generally accept each account I see in the forums, or even inworld, as it's own account (unless specifically told otherwise by one of the accounts).  I don't spend time trying to figure out if someone might be an alt of another account, as I don't see any reason to do so.    

Threads where someone brings in an alt to act as sockpuppet don't bother me too much either, as often those are threads I quickly give up interest in reading. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

well for me it was just a bit of roleplay and fun, pretending I was a new resident entering the world.   ahhhh...the good old days.

I wanted to experience something of what a new resident would feel. I used the LL viewer, with which I'm not very familiar. Even though I was dropped at the Firestorm gateway, I wanted to be treated like a returning user who had been away for a while, rather than as a current resident.

• Like 2

There has been a few occasions where I suspected that there were posters and responders who are in effect Linden Lab alts in spirit in that though they may be operated by different Lindens, are in effect using them to run a defense against any ideas for viewer progress that the Lab doesn't want to incorporate. By deriding the ideas they make it appear that there isn't a community support for some potential upgrades. Might sound conspiratorial but been a few occasions where I had a nagging feeling that it is what was going on.

• Sad 1

Takes a sip of tea as she skims through the thread. Scrunches her face up and saunters off, only to presently return with a glass of red .. Wine. Totally wine. Warm, viscous, velvety wine. Fresh from the jugu-- Jug. Wine jug. The jug of wine. 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Nephtyria said:

Takes a sip of tea as she skims through the thread. Scrunches her face up and saunters off, only to presently return with a glass of red .. Wine. Totally wine. Warm, viscous, velvety wine. Fresh from the jugu-- Jug. Wine jug. The jug of wine. 

Now that's creepy. You sound just like Orwar. 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.