Ideas for Compliments in Second Life (Bonus if Back-handed!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Ted McGregor said:

minefield

It's a minefield indeed, but not just for men. As a woman, you need to think really hard about complimenting a man, because so many of them will take it as you wanting more than just to make their day nicer for a second, a friendly chat, or, at the most, friendship, and their misplaced pride won't allow them to shake it off with a laugh, once they realise it's not going to get further and might get them a really nice friend who isn't stingy with compliments and would brighten their days often.

Complimenting women as a woman, without any agenda beyond honestly liking whatever you compliment them on, on the other hand, often is a rewarding thing. Which again, seems a bit sad, because often you get the impression that it must be a rare thing for women to get compliments from women.

Life is complicated. Or humans make it so. 

Edited by InnerCity Elf
typo...
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, InnerCity Elf said:

It's a minefield indeed, but not just for men. As a woman, you need to think really hard about complimenting a man, because so many of them will take it as you wanting more than just to make their day nicer for a second, a friendly chat, or, at the most, friendship, and their misplaced pride won't allow them to shake it off with a laugh, once they realise it's not going to get further and might get them a really nice friend who isn't stingy with compliments and would brighten their days often.

Complimenting women as a woman, without any agenda beyond honestly liking whatever you compliment them on, on the other hand, often is a rewarding thing. Which again, seems a bit sad, because often you get the impression that it must be a rare thing for women to get compliments from women.

Life is complicated. Or humans make it so. 

This is slightly true. I do feel incredibly pleased with myself when a woman compliments me. When I was younger, I was very into the manosphere and the red pill theory. I realized quickly that negging only attracted insecure women. So, it's better to give genuine compliments. Only crazy laydeees tolerate back handed compliments 🤣

• Like 4

On 7/13/2023 at 6:33 AM, Krystina Ferraris said:

I never thought about it Love, I assumed that walking around in plastic overalls and wellies would be a sufficient turn off for most guys! 😉 

However… thank you!! 😉 ❤️

*shakes his head* no no it's not enough

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Jesus what a load of misogynist crap. 

It's an opinion. And one my brother and his peer group (and one most men over 50 in my part of the UK would totally agree with).

And I agree with it too as it happens.

It's nice to receive a genuine compliment, and as a woman if I have made a lot of effort with my appearance before going out on a date, I fully expect one, because that was how I was brought up, and there is no undoing that upbringing. Why is this, I ask myself? Could it be because women make most of the effort, while men just chuck on a clean shirt and maybe have a shave? 

Also, looking at how much validation the younger generations are needing, all the ridiculous body modifications they are going through just to do what exactly? To receive compliments of course. Validation.  Men and women and all the genders in between. LOOOOOK AT MEEEEEE, LOVE MEEEEEE. That's what it all appears to be about now. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I tried making that face and couldn't. How does he do it? Talented. 

If he hadn't got lip fillers and whatever else modifications done to his fizzog (botox), he wouldn't be able to make *that* face. It's not talent, it's a side-effect.

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Yikes. I dunno man! I was never trained to expect compliments and I'm female too. Anyway, I do feel for Sid it's probably very much a generational,thing. 

Some would argue that it's not but I do believe it is a generational thing, and a regional thing, not even a national thing.

As a slight aside, we have TV comedy shows here that now have to have a warning broadcast at the beginning of them to say "May contain language of the time that could be offensive.", yet back in it's day it was perfectly acceptable, and one of the TV companies regularly puts together programmes showing younger and older people clips from programmes and it's interesting to see the very different opinions. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Anyway, I do feel for Sid it's probably very much a generational,thing. 

/me does his best Lewis Black impersonation :

" Yes, and as lovely and lightweight as you are, please stop trampling on our grass and GET OFF OUR LAWN!1!!

Pretty please .. sugar on top.

Shoo.

:P"

ETA : I just mean stop picking on Sid.

Edited by Ted McGregor
  • Haha 2

Just now, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Sorry, my comment was probably ageist. * steps off the grass*

I'm not offended by your potentially ageist comment.

Shoves you back onto the grass. Have a picnic while you're there, love.

(probably can't call people love now, unless they are actually called Love - the world has gone mad)

• Haha 3

Y'all try so hard not to pick on Sid, but please remember - "He's just a man".

Like in the song "I don't know how to love him", from the musical Jesus Christ Superstar:

I don't know how to take this
I don't see why he moves me
He's a man, he's just a man
And I've had so many men before
In very many ways
He's just one more

7 hours ago, Ted McGregor said:

Never in history the way to a woman's heart .. SL or RL ..  could be considered an unsurpassable minefield. Never !

How did Sid even dare imply complimenting women nowadays is ... oops, strike that is please .. can be as exciting to men as dismantling Fatboy while being tied onto it as the Enola Gay flies off shrieking 'Revenge!', completely liberated of her load ?

Men have been rightfully executed for less, mind you ... :|

To Sid : No longer waste your time on this. Hail the courage of the spouse of the black widow, my friend. Find support in his loyalty to life instead of his wife. It is how it is.

ETA : Yes, this is meant sarcastically.

PS Please don't tell my wife I have been posting in the forums. She'll kill me.

PS2 Honey, if you read this .. errr.. I love you .. ❤️

PS3 Imma dead man .. :|

MacLeod trumps McGregor.

Yep. Yer a dead man.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.