The Barbie Movie, and Gamification of Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Any reason is fine, I was just sharing a pet peeve. 

Your world, your imagination right? 😁

I definitely agree it's a bit silly to do, but darnit, until we get animated flex-feet and shoes/jewelry to match (please?!?!), Imma tiptoe!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I definitely agree it's a bit silly to do, but darnit, until we get animated flex-feet and shoes/jewelry to match (please?!?!), Imma tiptoe!

I smell a Feature Request!

If Barbie can bend her ankles, why can't we?

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Why do girls have to wear the high foot form when they are barefoot? Yes I know we are all barbies in here, but come on now, seriously?

There's a lot of things in SL, I think, Why???  lol

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Barbie isn't weighed down by platform limitations.

I may be confusing "doll toys", but I seem to remember one type where a "peg" in the shoe went up into the foot (or vice-versa).

I am reminded of the short story "Cruel Shoes" from Steve Martin's book by the same name.

Cruel Shoes

Anna knew She had to have a new pair of shoes today, and Carlo had helped her try on every pair in the store. Carlo spoke wearily, "Well, that's it. That's every pair of shoes in the place."

"Oh, you must have one more pair...."

"No, not one more... . Well, we have the cruel shoes, but no one would want to try...

"Yes, let me see the cruel shoes!"

"No, you don't understand, you see, the cruel shoes are...'

"Get them!"

Carlo disappeared into the back room for a moment, and then reappeared carrying an ordinary shoebox. He took off the lid and re-moved a hideous pair of black and white pumps. But this was not an ordinary pair of black and white pumps; both were left feet, one had a right angle turn with sepa-rate compartments that pointed the toes in impossible directions. The other shoe was six inches long and was curved inward like a rocking chair with a vise and razor blades to hold the foot in place.

Carlo spoke hesitantly, "... Now you see... they' re not fit for humans..." "Put them on me."

"But... "Put them on me!"

Carlo knew all arguments were useless. He knelt down before her and forced the feet into the shoes.

The screams were incredible.

Anna crawled over to the mirror and held her bloody feet up where she could see.

"I like them."

She paid Carlo and crawled out of the store into the street.

Later that day, Carlo was overheard saying to a new customer, "Well, that's it. That's every pair of shoes in the place. Unless, of course, you'd like to try the cruel shoes."

Edited by Love Zhaoying

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Why do girls have to wear the high foot form when they are barefoot? Yes I know we are all barbies in here, but come on now, seriously?

Genuine answer:

• I forgot and in case I do, there's always some guy enthusiastically reminding me by asking about feet pics.

Edited by ValKalAstra
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I majored in Women's Studies in college where we studied such things about 1st life women.  Apparently, men on average prefer women with long legs, and by extending the feet with high-heels it makes the legs look longer. And this feature continues in SL even without shoes because it can.

If you've noticed, many women have unrealistically long leg length too. along with the tippy-toe look on some.

But why would men prefer long legs?  Likely they think of women's legs, albeit subconsciously, as a kind of runway to somewhere...so they need some distance provided in long legs to pick up a little speed.

*speaking of the US mainly -- other countries have differing preferences

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Perrie Juran said:

barbie image.png

That reminds me of how in "The Barbie Movie" trailer, the doll who gives Barbie two sets of shoes to choose (played by Kate McKinnon) - one show (Birkenstocks) would take her to RL, and pair of shoes (high heels) would keep her in Barbie World.

Anyway, the reason I mentioned that in reply to your post is, the Kate McKinnon character has crudely cut hair and messed up makeup, etc.

3 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

What I've also noticed is with so many stands having somewhat inward turned feet, flat feet cross into each other while the high feet don't.  And it's often hard to find stands with feet pointed straight or outward.  Just an observation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Oh! I didn't realize there are two sets of feet.  (I haven't messed with LoveX's feet.)

Female bodies and now some male, have foot height adjustment.  Flat for bare feet, some in between and high for heels.  The stand animations seem to be made using the high position. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Oh! I didn't realize there are two sets of feet.  (I haven't messed with LoveX's feet.)

Flat, kitten heel, mid, high, ouch and pointe. Talk about a marketing opportunity…

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Female bodies and now some male, have foot height adjustment.  Flat for bare feet, some in between and high for heels.  The stand animations seem to be made using the high position. 

I wasn't surprised about "foot height", but I didn't know that meant "flat" foot vs. "not flat" - it sounded more like "foot height" = "hover height"! 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I smell a Feature Request!

Does it smell like feet? Ew. 

According to a study carried out by Cambridge University scientists, having legs a bit longer than average may be linked to strength and good health. https://api.repository.cam.ac.uk/server/api/core/bitstreams/83aaf8fb-81ce-40c3-9bae-b5163c2e06c7/content

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Does it smell like feet? Ew. 

According to a study carried out by Cambridge University scientists, having legs a bit longer than average may be linked to strength and good health. https://api.repository.cam.ac.uk/server/api/core/bitstreams/83aaf8fb-81ce-40c3-9bae-b5163c2e06c7/content

Listen sometime to the lyrics of Parliament's "Agony of DeFeet".

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Confession - I actually have no idea what this thread is about. I've read the OP numerous times, so I'm sure it's just me being a dummy.

I never saw that Barbie movie thing, so maybe that's why.

The movie is not out yet.

The Trailer:

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.