The Barbie Movie, and Gamification of Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Boys "weren't supposed to play with dolls" when I was a kid.  

Saw a TikTok by a gay comedian teacher explaining to a father, "Did you hold your son when he was a baby?" (Yes.) "Well, he is learning how to hold a baby." Awesome explanation!

39 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

They were called Action Figures and not dolls, right? 

I got my son a doll when he was about 4 or 5.  He wanted one because all the girls at daycare had them and he wanted to be able.to play with the girls, too.  Smart kid.

My sister's boys both had teddy bears, a boy doll of some kind, GI Joe dolls and smaller action figures. My eldest nephew had an Evil Kenival action figure. (I had a female version in a pink jumpsuit, called "Debbie Dynamite")  They both turned out to be great fathers.

I had a couple older Barbies from the 1950's handed down from my sister and several of the newer ones I got in the 1970's. I had a teen Skipper doll that grew breasts when you rotated her arm, a "Sweet Sixteen" Barbie, and a "Ballerina Barbie" with breasts too huge for any RL ballerina. I had one Ken doll, who sometimes played the role of the single guy stranded on the island of the Amazons. (I watched Wonder Woman growing up.) One thing I remember is that I liked how Ballerina Barbie looked tied up with a ribbon, which in retrospect was probably a BDSM thing. 😆 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Had a Barbie.  Didn't really play with her much.  I do recall cutting off all.her hair and using a magic marker to color it black.  Black Barbie didn't come out until.I was well past playing with dolls. Early 80s IIRC.  😕

Christie came out in 1968 but point taken, she was one of the friends. I said ‘Barbies’ generically but my own favorite main gal was always PJ, also a friend.

I certainly don’t think all of SL should be trivialized as ‘playing Barbies’ but for me there’s definitely some aspects that evoke similar (and good) feelings. I wear a pretty formulaic fashion in First Life and don’t cosplay much so exploring all sorts of fantasy and historical costumes and wearing fantastical avatars in SL is really enjoyable. Similarly, my home decor follows 2 main styles so to stray far from them in SL as well as copycat them sometimes and push chairs around is fun and interesting. Only 1 of my SL houses has ever been similar and ironically, it was a Linden home. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.