Yet Another Disillusioned Mainland Land Owner

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I did a search for mainland the other day, any size, less than $250 L.  Three came up, all on the same sim. Two that were 2x protected for $250 (#2 and #4 in the picture), one 1x protected  for $200 L (#3 in the picture).

Just out of curiosity I checked the 512 (#1 in the picture), it had been claimed two days earlier.

Number 5 had a vendor box on it, but in the description the owner said he would give it to anyone with adjacent property that wanted it.

I bought numbers 2 and 4, put my ad board on #2, and listed #4 for sale for $500 L.

A couple of days later I dropped by, and the owner of the 512 had abandoned his land.

My question for that landowner is , why didn't they buy the three 16 sq m parcels for the total asking price of $750, and then ask the owner of the forth parcel to give it to him.

There was lots of empty space at the back of his property. They could have cut off and abandoned a 16 x 64 strip first, then bought the ones in front, and then he would have had a nice 512 with full roadfront.

And also, why buy a parcel with three 16 sq m parcels in front of their parcel?

I can only assume they were  too arrogant or too naive to think anyone would use those 3 parcels, and destroy his view.

Now we have one more resident decrying the evils of micro parcel advertising, instead of looking out for themselves and making things right on their own.

One thing about Second Life though, there is enough whine for everyone.

😁

Note, the road in encroaching on my ad board parcel, but i won't complain.

mainland04.png

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Because...

... it takes all sorts to make a world. 

... a 16m parcel of land shouldn't be for sale for more than .5L$ per m, so L$8.

... on principle. 

____

The Linden road encroaches on your microparcel? Have you got your boundaries correctly measured? 

• Like 2

Let's see..putting myself in their place:

"I want to give my land to someone who will use it.

That is not the same as someone who will sell it.

Oh look, someone is buying adjoining parcels to re-sell. Guess I'll just abandon my land."

In the above proposed thought process/experiment, the owner of the land had no plan to "buy up land" for resale or otherwise. They may have presumably (again just a thought) only been interested in giving their land away. 

Your question was:

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

My question for that landowner is , why didn't they buy the three 16 sq m parcels for the total asking price of $750, and then ask the owner of the forth parcel to give it to him.

So in answer: I can only wonder why you thought they would want more land (for any reason at all), since they were only saying they wanted to give the plot away. 

ETA: Projecting that they were "disillusioned" also does not make sense to me. Just because they chose to abandon their land instead of doing what YOU think they should have done. Unless you're saying that "you" are the disillusioned one. Hard to tell!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

Because...

... it takes all sorts to make a world. 

... a 16m parcel of land shouldn't be for sale for more than .5L$ per m, so L$8.

... on principle. 

____

The Linden road encroaches on your microparcel? Have you got your boundaries correctly measured? 

I have boundary lines turned on, my boundary dipped below the road, ergo the road is encroaching.

As for selling land for only $0.5 L per square meter, go take that one up with the hundreds of land flippers operating in SL

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
fixed the one spelling mistake I saw, there are probably others

46 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Let's see..putting myself in their place:

"I want to give my land to someone who will use it.

That is not the same as someone who will sell it.

Oh look, someone is buying adjoining parcels to re-sell. Guess I'll just abandon my land."

In the above proposed thought process/experiment, the owner of the land had no plan to "buy up land" for resale or otherwise. They may have presumably (again just a thought) only been interested in giving their land away. 

Your question was:

So in answer: I can only wonder why you thought they would want more land (for any reason at all), since they were only saying they wanted to give the plot away. 

ETA: Projecting that they were "disillusioned" also does not make sense to me. Just because they chose to abandon their land instead of doing what YOU think they should have done. Unless you're saying that "you" are the disillusioned one. Hard to tell!

You are talking about two different people, the owner of the 512, and the owner of the 16 sq m. I personally would never give land away.

I had a 16 sq m parcel one time and the flipper that bought a giant parcel beside mine imed me and asked if I would give him my 16 sq m, since it was cut out of the edge of his new parcel. I laughed and said no way, you can buy it. He said but but but, giving the land to the large landowner is how its done.

I had to wipe the tears from my eyes before I could reply to that one.

😂

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I have boundary lines turned on, my boundary dipped below the road, ego the road is encroaching.

As for selling land for only $0.5 L per square meter, go take that one up with the hundreds of land flippers operating in SL

(ergo)

I don't need to take anything up with land flippers. It's not a problem to me. When I used to attempt to tidy up the mainland, I used to negotiate with 16m parcel owners and if I got no response from them would bring in LL and if it turned out those land owners had not been active for a while, I would get them for zero L$. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marigold Devin said:

(ergo)

I don't need to take anything up with land flippers. It's not a problem to me. When I used to attempt to tidy up the mainland, I used to negotiate with 16m parcel owners and if I got no response from them would bring in LL and if it turned out those land owners had not been active for a while, I would get them for zero L$. 

So you approve of LL confiscating land that has tier paid on it, and giving to you?

Nice

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

DontTakeBait.jpg.987c270f710d67ca85de622318109d3c.jpg

Actually the purpose of this thread is to try and understand why people don't try to make things better for themselves, instead of relying on LL to fix everything.

Contribute to the discussion, or don't, it's up to you and everyone else that reads this thread.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Note that there's probably no way to combine 1X and 2X parcels, which may be a factor in theoretical decisions made by 3rd parties. 

I'm not sure what you mean, i was talking about 1 side protected and 2 side protected.

4 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Imagine being so proud of ruining someone's view and forcing them to abandon their parcel that you feel compelled to post in the forums to brag about it. 

I'm not proud, i was asking why people don't take responsibility for their own situation, and ensure their view isn't ruined.

Buying land does NOT give you the right to tell your neighbors what they can do with theirs.

Besides, at that price someone else would have scooped up the parcels.

I was using this as a teaching moment, but some people in this forum don't want to explore alternate points of view, and alternate possibilities.

Its all lets ask LL to save and protect us.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Suggestion for a better thread title: "A Success Story: How I disillusioned several land-owners, and You can Too!"

As long as 2x protected 16 sq m parcels go on the market for $250 L or less, I will purchase them, for use, or for resale. Its a free market.

And. like I said in another thread, don't buy land that has micro parcels between you and the road

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'm not proud, i was asking why people don't take responsibility for their own situation, and ensure their view isn't ruined.

Buying land does NOT give you the right to tell your neighbors what they can do with theirs.

Besides, at that price someone else would have scooped up the parcels.

I was using this as a teaching moment, but some people in this forum don't want to explore alternate points of view, and alternate possibilities.

Its all lets ask LL to save and protect us.

This isn't about people not helping themselves, because the land owner looks to have done exactly that. They likely moved in without realising the microparcels were there, saw the mistake, and took action. You would have preferred them to make their parcel an odd shape and buy your land, but that's not about what's best for them. They almost certainly will be able to find a better parcel elsewhere. One that's a nice regular shape and doesn't have microparcels around it.

So there's no teachable moment here. You're just grumpy that the land owner realised they could get a better deal elsewhere.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

..if someone unexpectedly buys the land next door from someone else, and then ruins your view, you don't get a chance for any say in the matter.

..and, not everyone can afford the extra tier to endlessly expand their land to avoid an "unspoiled view".

Your use-case for "micro-parcels" is not most people's reality.  Most people want to use the tier they get from Premium, or whatever land tier they "leveled up to".

- That does not mean buying tiny parcels all over the grid then jumping up and down and screeching like an impotent monkey because a neighbor bought the microparcel next door and built a giant Sith obelisk on it.

- It means, once someone uses their full land tier level, they can't just go and buy the neighbor's parcel once it becomes available, to avoid an unspoiled view.

Restated: Your example using microparcels is not representative of how people actually buy and use land (usually).  Recall that YOU are buying the land to sell, not to use for yourself. So in this case, YOU do not care whether someone spoils the view, unless it makes the land unsaleable. 

The complaint that one of your parcels in this example is encroached by the road:

8 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Note, the road in encroaching on my ad board parcel, but i won't complain.

The above is a specious argument. You don't really care that that the road is encroaching your parcel, you care because it is an "ad board" parcel;  you want someone to see your ad boards (or buy the land).  Anyone else would be upset that there are ugly ad boards blocking THEIR view.  

So..someone else should take responsibility for what YOU do? They should take responsibility for the fact YOU block THEIR view?  That sure is an interesting argument.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Note that there's probably no way to combine 1X and 2X parcels, which may be a factor in theoretical decisions made by 3rd parties. 

I'm not sure what you mean, i was talking about 1 side protected and 2 side protected.

Here, where you say: 

8 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Three came up, all on the same sim. Two that were 2x protected for $250 (#2 and #4 in the picture), one 1x protected  for $200 L (#3 in the picture).

Usually, - to me -  "1X" means, "standard allotment of prims / LI on the parcel".  And, "2X" means, "double prim / LI allotment on the parcel".   Adding the word "protected" just would usually mean, "protected land is on at least 1 side".

If I am searching for "double prim / LI allotment", I will search "2X".  If I find that they are referring to the "number of sides that are protected land" and NOT "double prim / LI allotment on the parcel", I will be very frustrated.

If I am wrong about my understanding then - oops.  Guess I got lucky in finding my "2X prim / LI" land without going through that confusion.

48 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If I am wrong about my understanding then - oops

"#X - protected" generally means the number of sides which are adjacent to linden-owned property or a border to a non-extant region.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

"#X - protected" generally means the number of sides which are adjacent to linden-owned property or a border to a non-extant region.

I've seen it used to imply an open view to linden protected land (a hill looking out to linden water with a private parcel between) and when adjacent to abandoned land.

#X - Protected means "check the borders and don't assume a thing."

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Thanks, I'm conflating "2X Prim" with "2X Protected"!

It looks like you'd need 4X Protected and a short draw distance to avoid seeing adboards discussed here. Just IMHO.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

This isn't about people not helping themselves, because the land owner looks to have done exactly that. They likely moved in without realising the microparcels were there, saw the mistake, and took action. You would have preferred them to make their parcel an odd shape and buy your land, but that's not about what's best for them. They almost certainly will be able to find a better parcel elsewhere. One that's a nice regular shape and doesn't have microparcels around it.

So there's no teachable moment here. You're just grumpy that the land owner realised they could get a better deal elsewhere.

I wasn't asking them to buy my land. I bought my parcels AFTER they had bought their 512 and moved in. My point was they should have bought the micro parcels BEFORE I bought them, to assure unblocked access to the road.

I really have no interest in who buys my parcel. I kept one for myself with no intent to sell it to anyone, the other will sell in a week or two at $500 L

By the way, someone bought parcel #3 in the original picture, the 1x protected piece I declined to buy for $200 L. They have some sort of game on it now

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.