Yet Another Disillusioned Mainland Land Owner

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 333 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/4/2023 at 2:36 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I did a search for mainland the other day, any size, less than $250 L.  Three came up, all on the same sim. Two that were 2x protected for $250 (#2 and #4 in the picture), one 1x protected  for $200 L (#3 in the picture).

Just out of curiosity I checked the 512 (#1 in the picture), it had been claimed two days earlier.

Number 5 had a vendor box on it, but in the description the owner said he would give it to anyone with adjacent property that wanted it.

I bought numbers 2 and 4, put my ad board on #2, and listed #4 for sale for $500 L.

A couple of days later I dropped by, and the owner of the 512 had abandoned his land.

My question for that landowner is , why didn't they buy the three 16 sq m parcels for the total asking price of $750, and then ask the owner of the forth parcel to give it to him.

There was lots of empty space at the back of his property. They could have cut off and abandoned a 16 x 64 strip first, then bought the ones in front, and then he would have had a nice 512 with full roadfront.

And also, why buy a parcel with three 16 sq m parcels in front of their parcel?

I can only assume they were  too arrogant or too naive to think anyone would use those 3 parcels, and destroy his view.

Now we have one more resident decrying the evils of micro parcel advertising, instead of looking out for themselves and making things right on their own.

One thing about Second Life though, there is enough whine for everyone.

😁

Note, the road in encroaching on my ad board parcel, but i won't complain.

mainland04.png

Serious question. See emboldened paragraph from your original post above. Why did you not ask the landowner directly? Only they actually know the real and true answer. 

In answer to the question you raise in your newly-created thread, just click on the three little dots at the top right hand corner of any post in the thread, select "report" and request the moderators close the thread down now it has run it's course.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Weird.  I don't find a group called Southland Property Management. 

Thank you for informing me about the error in my SPM notecard. I used to have an office in a room at that location, but I took it out. Since you informed me of this, I edited the notecard to take out the link, and replaced it in all my adboards. Also, I found several that didn't have the newest panel, so I was able to update them to the newest version.

Thank you again.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Serious question. See emboldened paragraph from your original post above. Why did you not ask the landowner directly? Only they actually know the real and true answer. 

In answer to the question you raise in your newly-created thread, just click on the three little dots at the top right hand corner of any post in the thread, select "report" and request the moderators close the thread down now it has run it's course.

Thank you very much, I think I shall.

As for asking the owner of the abandoned land, I didn't know he was going to abandon it, and I doubt he would want to talk to the person that caused him to abandon his parcel

As for asking the owner of the abandoned land, I didn't know he was going to abandon it, and I doubt he would want to talk to the person that caused him to abandon his parcel

the person that caused him to abandon his parcel

Imagine knowing this.

Imagine knowing this without trying to make it right.

Imagine knowing this and then doing the same thing. Even once.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Imagine knowing this.

Imagine knowing this without trying to make it right.

Imagine knowing this and then doing the same thing. Even once.

Oh its not the first time someone abandoned their land after I put up an adboard. But,  I'm free to do what I want as long as I follow the rules, and so are they.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'm free to do what I want as long as I follow the rules, and so are they.

I totally agree 100%.

And, people who replied to your original question were consistent: If the user became disillusioned and abandoned their parcel, it was not because they failed to take responsibility and buy the neighboring micro parcels.

As you yourself point out in the same post from above, it was more likely that it was because you put adboards on those micro parcels: 

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Oh its not the first time someone abandoned their land after I put up an adboard.

And so, your original assertion was seen by many to be absurd, and a form of "trolling".  Perhaps in this case, "trolling" could mean, "looking for an argument by making assertions that are ridiculous on the surface". That's how we got here.

There's no harassment here and never was; many of us are just giving you the argument and debate which you clearly and plainly asked for in your original question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

10 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Thank you very much, I think I shall.

You didn't know he was going to abandon his parcel? But you believe you were the cause of him abandoning his parcel? Wow, you are quite the piece of work aren't you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

What Is Property Management?

Property management is the daily oversight of residential, commercial, or industrial real estate by a third-party contractor. Generally, property managers take responsibility for day-to-day repairs and ongoing maintenance, security, and upkeep of properties. They usually work for the owners of investment properties such as apartment and condominium complexes, private home communities, shopping centers, and industrial parks.

A friend of mine used to work for a legitimate property management business in SL and they did not flip land.  They managed for a couple rental companies mostly those that rented to people housing breedables.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

You didn't know he was going to abandon his parcel? But you believe you were the cause of him abandoning his parcel? Wow, you are quite the piece of work aren't you. 

They bought their land two days before I bought mine,and  they abandoned their land two days after my ad board went up.

I think one can be fairly certain as to the reason they abandoned it.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed gender specific pronouns to they their.

29 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

What Is Property Management?

Property management is the daily oversight of residential, commercial, or industrial real estate by a third-party contractor. Generally, property managers take responsibility for day-to-day repairs and ongoing maintenance, security, and upkeep of properties. They usually work for the owners of investment properties such as apartment and condominium complexes, private home communities, shopping centers, and industrial parks.

A friend of mine used to work for a legitimate property management business in SL and they did not flip land.  They managed for a couple rental companies mostly those that rented to people housing breedables.  

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I totally agree 100%.

And, people who replied to your original question were consistent: If the user became disillusioned and abandoned their parcel, it was not because they failed to take responsibility and buy the neighboring micro parcels.

As you yourself point out in the same post from above, it was more likely that it was because you put adboards on those micro parcels: 

And so, your original assertion was seen by many to be absurd, and a form of "trolling".  Perhaps in this case, "trolling" could mean, "looking for an argument by making assertions that are ridiculous on the surface". That's how we got here.

There's no harassment here and never was; many of us are just giving you the argument and debate which you clearly and plainly asked for in your original question. 

Oh yes, anyone that doesn't think advertising on micro parcels is a blight on SL and should be banned, is being "absurd" and "trolling".

But no, sorry, thinking that micro parcel advertising is a legitimate use is a valid position, and one that is backed up by Linden Lab policy.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
fixed a word

30 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Oh yes, anyone that doesn't think advertising on micro parcels is a blight on SL and should be banned, is being "absurd" and "trolling".

But no, sorry, thinking that micro parcel advertising is a legitimate use is a valid position, and one that is backed up by Linden Lab policy.

Sorry, but your interpretation of my post does not match my intended meaning. 

Thank you very much for replying!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

They bought their land two days before I bought mine,and  they abandoned their land two days after my ad board went up.

I think one can be fairly certain as to the reason they abandoned it.

if you keep up the behaviour you mentioning here then you pretty much on the road that ends in banhammer

a often overlooked reason for getting a banhammer is behaviour that affects the enjoyment of SL by others. Linden have over the years interpreted behaviour and subsequent affect quite broadly. Sometimes to the bewilderment of the person banhammered who had previously spent considerable effort informing all and sundry about how they observe the letter of the Community Standards 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I happen to be able to contribute a tiny bit of history to that plot in question, because it has some history.

This is what it looked like early May:

bed6cf1de3b63be7ed288b87d71a8c18.jpg

What happened here was likely something like this:

Land was bought as a whole. Then one single micro parcel was cut from it and on that they placed an ad (and made the rest of the land pretty much worthless), the whole rest sold cheap. The one who bought it cheap cut it even further and placed the "LAND FOR SALE" signs. And today we got 3 ad parcels (without Linden we would have 4), some more micros, and the main part of the land that nobody will want.

So when you talk about being "Disillusioned", please be disillusioned about the right thing that was fuc*** up here. And yes, there should be technically enforced limitations in regards of cutting micros. Obviously. And keep in mind it started with one single micro that was cut to use as an ad. That step already needs to be made impossible.

Edited by MiraFall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, elleevelyn said:

if you keep up the behaviour you mentioning here then you pretty much on the road that ends in banhammer

a often overlooked reason for getting a banhammer is behaviour that affects the enjoyment of SL by others. Linden have over the years interpreted behaviour and subsequent affect quite broadly. Sometimes to the bewilderment of the person banhammered who had previously spent considerable effort informing all and sundry about how they observe the letter of the Community Standards 

So, you are saying I could be banned for buying land that others end up not liking what I do with it?

That really doesn't seem fair.

LL has stated quite clearly that I can own up to 50 networked advertising parcels, so potentially 50 people could be upset and abandon their land.

I'm sorry, but following the rules isn't a bannable offence, since all my ads comply with all the rules set out for networked advertising.

In this case its not community standards, its rules regarding networked advertising.

27 minutes ago, MiraFall said:

I happen to be able to contribute a tiny bit of history to that plot in question, because it has some history.

This is what it looked like early May:

bed6cf1de3b63be7ed288b87d71a8c18.jpg

What happened here was likely something like this:

Land was bought as a whole. Then one single micro parcel was cut from it and on that they placed an ad (and made the rest of the land pretty much worthless), the whole rest sold cheap. The one who bought it cheap cut it even further and placed the "LAND FOR SALE" signs. And today we got 3 ad parcels (without Linden we would have 4), some more micros, and the main part of the land that nobody will want.

So when you talk about being "Disillusioned", please be disillusioned about the right thing that was fuc*** up here. And yes, there should be technically enforced limitations in regards of cutting micros. Obviously. And keep in mind it started with one single micro that was cut to use as an ad. That step already needs to be made impossible.

Land cutting happens for all sizes of land, big and small. If a flipper has a 1/4 sim and cuts it into 512's should that be banned, or just cutting to land under a certain size.

Someone making 16 sq m parcels can defo be reported.

If the land left over was sold cheaply enough, someone on the sim will buy it for the prims.

I didn't realize that picture was from the same spot i bought land. Here is the picture with the latest land cuts.

2 and 4 are mine, 3 was bought by someone else, 5 has a vendor box, but the owner is  willing to give the parcel away for free.

The 512 is still there and if it was cheep enough, someone would buy it. No land ever gets wasted, there is always a right price for someone to purchase it.

Since its abandoned though, LL would demand $0.5 L per sq m, $256 L which someone might spend considering it still has road access.

When you look at it that way, despite the ad boards, its not a bad deal at all.

landcutting.png

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are trying to justify reckless egoism. This whole crap started with one ad parcel that doomed the rest of the land, because nobody wants to live next to it (or any other obnoxious ad parcels), devaluing the land around it. What about the neighbour? Ever thought about them? You gonna tell them "Ah you know, just derender everything you don't like. And when you get a visitor, just ask them to derender everything as well since it's you who choses to stay next to it and not move away."

I'm trying to imagine I would buy micros next to a pretty house, place some ads on them, and then just leave, knowing I messed up the place for everyone around. Man, I tell you something. I couldn't do that.

Edited by MiraFall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MiraFall said:

You are trying to justify reckless egoism. This whole crap started with one ad parcel that doomed the rest of the land, because nobody wants to live next to it (or any other obnoxious ad parcels), devaluating the land around it. What about the neighbour? Ever thought about them? You gonna tell them "Ah you know, just derender everything you don't like. And when you get a visitor, just ask them to derender everything as well since it's you who choses to stay next to it and not move away."

I'm trying to imagine I would buy micros next to a pretty house, place some ads on them, and then just leave, knowing I messed up the place for everyone around. Man, I tell you something. I couldn't do that.

The land wasn't doomed. Who cares what is beside you? It's whats in front that counts. Just put up a high hedge on the offending side and forget about it.

I've seen lots of threads in here about obnoxious builds, obnoxious privacy screens, obnoxious low hanging sky boxes, so please don't blame all mainland blight on conforming networked advertising.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

What does the offending adboard look like? Out of genuine curiosity

According to one post:

On 6/6/2023 at 12:13 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Come on .. show everyone the rest ... 

mTV1w2s.jpg

ETA: Prior to when someone else posted this, the OP only posted a picture of the rock.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 333 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.