Pesky Linden Weeds!

Marcus Hancroft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some of the crazy Linden Weeds have appeared at our club entrance and none of us can grab them to get rid of them (of course)!  They do not show up when you turn on alpha (ctrl - Alt - T), so there's no way to try to delete them that way either!  I've had them show up on one my parcels some time back, and I had to grab them (if I remember correctly) just under the ground.  This is not working now, however.  Anybody have ANY suggestions on how to delete these ugly things, because all of us are frustrated with the whole affair!

Thank you if you can help!

Marcus H.

https://gyazo.com/e82fe7b368121c9c6a3da4840256c36a

• Like 2

I deal with them all the time and the approach you mention is close enough it should be working for you: right-click them right at the point they meet the ground and they should be selectable. Not sure it matters but I always have cam constraints turned off (Advanced menu: Disable Camera Constraints), which can make a difference for working at or below the terrain surface, so maybe check that. Otherwise I'm not thinking of anything that might help or hurt.

These "weeds" are, however, very wily (and underappreciated) objects, most notably because they respond to terrain changes, and weave each little plant into a rough terrain surface pretty precisely. That adaptation to terrain also means they aren't good prospects for decorating a skybox. And they suffer from an old, little-known, very strange bug: every region restart, they all transmogrify from whatever species they were when planted to look like "Grass tall 1".

[ETA: couple tips that may be obvious: If a bunch seems especially elusive, it may help to select something easy first, then cam way in to the grass to select it. Also, the way to tell it's selected is by watching what the editor's General tab says is selected because the thing won't get highlighted and the origin is at the center of all the little plant tufts that make up the object.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

I think another option is to select them off the area search results?

Oh cool, yeah, Firestorm's World: Area Search allows selecting on the list and then right-clicking and deleting or returning.

I've never had any luck dragging around these to select them but I may be doing it wrong. (I have Build: Options: Surround by Selecting enabled, and it works for other stuff, but won't seem to grab the grasses for me, even in Firestorm.)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Oh cool, yeah, Firestorm's World: Area Search allows selecting on the list and then right-clicking and deleting or returning.

I've never had any luck dragging around these to select them but I may be doing it wrong. (I have Build: Options: Surround by Selecting enabled, and it works for other stuff, but won't seem to grab the grasses for me, even in Firestorm.)

I think that is a relatively recent innovation (like in last 5 years?), before that you could select objects through odd way of using a Pathfinding Character search, you still sort of can do it that way but area search is easier and more intuitive.

And yes drag selecting is far from a perfect method, but something easy enough to consider that can be useful when lucky.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marcus Hancroft said:

Unless they are not named "weeds" or "grass"

Well, they might not be. One of the items that degenerate into "Grass tall 1" is called "Leafy ground cover". The others are "Grass - short 1", "Grass - short 2", "Grass- long 1" and "Grass- long 2" as far as I know. They're all in the Library (along with the other original Linden plants) so you can rez them out to see what they're really supposed to look like.

If that's not it, I'm sensing the need for a field trip to examine the tough specimens you got growing there.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Well, they might not be. One of the items that degenerate into "Grass tall 1" is called "Leafy ground cover". The others are "Grass - short 1", "Grass - short 2", "Grass- long 1" and "Grass- long 2" as far as I know. They're all in the Library (along with the other original Linden plants) so you can rez them out to see what they're really supposed to look like.

If that's not it, I'm sensing the need for a field trip to examine the tough specimens you got growing there.

Thanks for that idea, Qie!  The ones I can't grab are Grass - Tall 1.  I rezzed them on my own parcel to make sure.  And I was able to easily delete them.  At the club though...not!

Edited by Marcus Hancroft

Yes very odd, I have an alt at the club and they don't come up in area search for me and I can't select them. 

It might be worth asking one of the Weasles Real Estate managers to come over and take a look. It is possible that they will have some additional group right that will allow them to show up, or they might have an idea how to get rid of them.

Ps nice club.

Edited by Aethelwine

3 minutes ago, Marcus Hancroft said:

Thanks for that idea, Qie!  The ones I can't grab are Grass - Tall 1.  I rezzed them on my own parcel to make sure.  And I was able too easily delete them.  At the club though...not!

Search under owner using just Mole or Linden in search?

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Search under owner using just Mole or Linden in search?

Good idea, but just nothing there. Only a handful of objects showing in the area like steps, and some others bits. There s a sort of rod under the ground that might have a script in that is temp rezzing them but I don't think so I am really clutching at straws with that, I suspect the rod has a greeter in of some sort. It looks more like some sort of region glitch.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Good idea, but just nothing there. Only a handful of objects showing in the area like steps, and some others bits. There s a sort of rod under the ground that might have a script in that is temp rezzing them but I don't think so I am really clutching at straws with that. It looks more like some sort of region glitch.

I saw that rod also, Aethlwine.  It's part of the doorway.  There are two large prims one of grass cover, the other of tiles that are sitting right on top of the ground and every time I try to select one of them I just grab the tile prim.  And thank you for the compliment on the club!  We've been there for over 6 years now!

I wondered if they might have been linked to a larger linkset obscuring them, but I cycled through edit linked parts to see if I could see Eric Linden's grass, but can't see it.

I think you might need the group ability "landscaping with linden plants" in your group role to select them? Which sort of takes me back to thinking your next step might be to ask one of the WRE Managers to take a look for you.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

OK, this morning, I had a brainstorm...what if I derendered the two ground prims, and turned off the surface patch?  Then I could get right to the bottom of them and not be obscured by them?!  So, I tried THAT.  And still, no luck.  I just kept getting the ground prims again.  So, that didn't work.  

I made a site visit and think I know what's been so confusing: y'all have had the weeds selected all along. What's confusing here is that this particular plant was created using the build editor's "Grass" tool, which rezzes one of the grasses/groundcovers at random and names it, ever so helpfully, "Object". It also makes its creator be whoever clicked the build button (revealing another DJ to be the culprit here! 😜).

My Firestorm-wielding alt* demonstrates thusly:

image.thumb.png.2624a423074805d172f3c53bc8f99465.png

Once I realized "Object" was the name of the target weed, I had no trouble selecting it.

*I'm not that secretive about an alt, but I'm already a fugitive from "naming and shaming" justice after I got spanked yesterday for outing a notorious adfarmer, leaving another thread in a most confusing state after my naughty post was removed. 

• Like 10

Qie!  OMG That must have been YOU when I rezzed in!  LMAO!  I figured that out just now too!  When I thought I was grabbing the patio floor (under the grass prim) every time, I was actually grabbing the stupid weed prim!  So, I moved that prim under the deck and out of the entrance to the club.  Yes, it was named 'Object'  Stuff like that drives me absolutely crazy!  I KNOW I can fix it, but thinking I couldn't was infuriating!  Thank you so much for all the help, Sir!  FINALLY...this problem is SOLVED!

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Marcus Hancroft said:

Dang it!  After the region restart this morning, they were back to their original position next to the front door!  So, I edited them, and clicked "temporary" in the menu, and in 30 seconds they were gone.  They just did NOT want to go away!  

Those were the most realistic weeds ever! 

• Haha 7

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.