If everyone is happy, how can it be a bad thing?

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Sure, but… Well, I have this possibly flawed model of how Governance gets from a report to the completed response, something like investigating, determining violation, choosing from some palette of possible responses, enacting the response, communicating to the offender, maybe recording any incident-specific considerations that aren't captured automatically. Maybe some responses involve a cycle of communications with the offender and response that could stretch over days or longer. Not a RL court proceeding or anything, but still… 

Maybe it's all more scalable than I imagine, but preventing the whole class of incidents from happening would let Governance work other kinds of reports instead—which they're obviously already doing. So prevention has appeal when cures aren't available.

I didn't say anything about Governance action and how long it takes.  I just said exactly what I said, no more, no less.

58 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

I didn't say anything about Governance action and how long it takes.  I just said exactly what I said, no more, no less.

I know, and thanks for the information, I guess I'm just not following the discussion. In an aside several posts ago I observed that the Mainland rule tweaks proposed in this thread seemed mostly about obviating the need for Governance action at all because the offenses wouldn't be possible to commit. I've belabored that to excess now, I'm just… not trying to say anything contentious. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Sure, but… Well, I have this possibly flawed model of how Governance gets from a report to the completed response, something like investigating, determining violation, choosing from some palette of possible responses, enacting the response, communicating to the offender, maybe recording any incident-specific considerations that aren't captured automatically. Maybe some responses involve a cycle of communications with the offender and response that could stretch over days or longer. Not a RL court proceeding or anything, but still… 

Maybe it's all more scalable than I imagine, but preventing the whole class of incidents from happening would let Governance work other kinds of reports instead—which they're obviously already doing. So prevention has appeal when cures aren't available.

I assume, that there are so many "spurious" Reports, that anyone reviewing the Reports ignores them if there is no text, just a picture, except for certain categories like "object SPAM" (or whatever the equivalent is these days for a self-replicating object filling a Region).

• Like 1

So I just found someone that cut out three 16 sq meter parcels and is selling them for $100 L each, and he has a great big ugly sign on each one. I take a picture, do an AR and include the owners name?

I don't even know what to put it under.

adfarm01.png

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So I just found someone that cut out three 16 sq meter parcels and is selling them for $100 L each, and he has a great big ugly sign on each one. I take a picture, do an AR and include the owners name?

I don't even know what to put it under.

adfarm01.png

Harassment.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 5:43 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

That which isn't forbidden, is allowed

There are always people trying to skirt the rules on technicalities. The current 64m "store" that doesn't actually sell anything issue is one example. It is a cat and mouse game and LL will have to keep modifying the rules to enforce the spirit of the rules - which is to keep the mainland a place where people want to hold tier. But that isn't any different than RL.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Xerses Goff said:

There are always people trying to skirt the rules on technicalities. The current 64m "store" that doesn't actually sell anything issue is one example. It is a cat and mouse game and LL will have to keep modifying the rules to enforce the spirit of the rules - which is to keep the mainland a place where people want to hold tier. But that isn't any different than RL.

So what do you suggest as a minimum size for a store?

My suggestion of a "no made made objects on a parcel smaller that 128 sq m" rule would fix that.

Or maybe nothing under 512 sq m would be better?

• Like 1

So I submitted the AR for the signs. A line from the form letter reply said

"We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant encounter in-world"

Well I wouldn't exactly say it was unpleasant, I wasn't triggered or anything.

The letter makes it sound like SL is one giant safe space for people to get away from all the unpleasantness which is their Real Life.

Trouble is, many people drag their RL baggage in here with them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So I submitted the AR for the signs. A line from the form letter reply said

"We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant encounter in-world"

Well I wouldn't exactly say it was unpleasant, I wasn't triggered or anything.

The letter makes it sound like SL is one giant safe space for people to get away from all the unpleasantness which is their Real Life.

Trouble is, many people drag their RL baggage in here with them.

Well, it bothered you enough to submit an Abuse Report.

Of course people bring their RL baggage in here. It's a social platform. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2023 at 5:43 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

That which isn't forbidden, is allowed

Ethics much?

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do, and what is right to do. That little quote of yours fails the ethics test.

That same way of thinking you used is also used by the smoker who stands one foot outside a clearly marked no smoking zone at the hospital entrance puffing away getting smoke into a patient's face who is inside the zone, justifying their smoking with the excuse "I'm outside the zone so is allowed."

Rules, but no ethics or common courtesy toward anyone else. Law without ethics is a terrible thing.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So what do you suggest as a minimum size for a store?

My suggestion of a "no made made objects on a parcel smaller that 128 sq m" rule would fix that.

Or maybe nothing under 512 sq m would be better?

Store size has never been an issue before now as setting up vendors, displaying products, etc. does require some space to do it effectively. I don't have issues with smaller stores if they actually sell something. Having hundreds of nearly identical locations that only give links to larger inworld store or a web page aren't really stores. They are ads. We have some compromise policies that allow ads within certain boundries.  Everyone has some modifications they would like to make, but they have had some success in keeping out adfarms. The issue is that LL isn't enforcing those rules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Your own signs? I may have missed a transition.

Scroll up a bit. Presumably these signs are the ones being reported.

The irony is that anything that makes a market for microparcels is responsible for the landsplitting violations that create them. They're the scummy SL version of rhino horn aphrodisiacs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.