If everyone is happy, how can it be a bad thing?

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Perhaps one of you would like to start a thread discussing the effectiveness of roadside advertising.

Honestly, I hadn't been giving the whole subject much thought till you raised your own totally awesome micro parcel advertising business. I don't think anyone here would feel comfortable debating the actions and unknowable intentions of your competitors.

Although, as we've been discussing the ethics and efficacy of your own micro parcels in your own thread reminding the world about your own micro parcels, that you started, specifically, to talk about your micro parcels, I feel it only fitting to welcome you to the Streisand effect.

Personally, I would avoid anything I saw on a roadside advert. My personal perception is any "business" using such a service is demonstrating a profound lack of judgement and ability to "read the room", at worst they're selling a deliberate scam or fraud to parasitically leach money from the inexperienced.

Are my perceptions misplaced? How does your own completely on topic micro parcel advertising business hope to combat this (perhaps) terribly poor perception I have after 17 years roaming mainland.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Qui Niango, ad farm policy and networked advertising policy are two  different things. Ad Farming is NEVER allowed. Networked Advertising is allowed IF all the rules are followed.

LOL @ respect the wishes of nearby landowners. All they have to do is AR and say "I wish I didn't have to look at that ugly adboard"?

There IS a simple way to remove ads on micro parcels once and for all. It has been suggested in here before that no one be allowed to put manmade structues on any parcel below a minimum sq m size, say perhaps 64 or 128.

That would solve the problem once and for all, because I certainly wouldn't use 128 sq m of my tier for one ad.

On 4/26/2023 at 2:13 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Honestly, I hadn't been giving the whole subject much thought till you raised your own totally awesome micro parcel advertising business. I don't think anyone here would feel comfortable debating the actions and unknowable intentions of your competitors.

Although, as we've been discussing the ethics and efficacy of your own micro parcels in your own thread reminding the world about your own micro parcels, that you started, specifically, to talk about your micro parcels, I feel it only fitting to welcome you to the Streisand effect.

Personally, I would avoid anything I saw on a roadside advert. My personal perception is any "business" using such a service is demonstrating a profound lack of judgement and ability to "read the room", at worst they're selling a deliberate scam or fraud to parasitically leach money from the inexperienced.

Are my perceptions misplaced? How does your own completely on topic micro parcel advertising business hope to combat this (perhaps) terribly poor perception I have after 17 years roaming mainland.

I have roadside advertising in SL, because it amuses me to have roadside advertising in SL.  It's surplus tier I'm paying for and not using. If I get bored with them I can sell them all at a profit.

When LL bans advertising on micro parcels, I'll remove them.

I also flip interior micro parcels, but I suppose that's a topic for another thread

• Haha 1

I've been traveling to my various micro parcels, updating my signs, and yes, I must admit it,  mainland is a mess, a crazy jumbled up mess, and I love it

At least I haven't seen any wind turbines. 😂

mainland01.png

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a picture

Hello!
Im sorry I couldnt find time to read aaall the answers at 100%
Im also sorry I didnt wait enough for the objects to rez them all their textures until I shot the sherriff.. erm the 2nd screen..

So, its all about settings.
Someone who join SL and goes premium and want to buy land (1024m)
They open auctions  and they see this one ->> https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/271290/park-240-16-moderate-1024m
and they cannot bid on it (dont want to ) because... give me a sec and read this:
Their settings, due to their computer,  are at the medium by default for to rez only what is  at 128m and all they see is this -->
A very beautiful Grass Valley  BUT there is something "ugly" next door.. And they have to BLAME its uglyness!
I am standing at the middle of the picture - Yes, this little black dot/line, is the size of an avatar, so we can compare!
everythingbeautifull_001.thumb.jpg.a388be29ce6873e08ab4f0f8d1d91d7a.jpg
Note & Mention:
a)  this is an UGLY ( who defines that btw? ) actually TWO ugly skyboxes placed floating above the ground ( Illegal - or ugly -  defined by LL)
 - dry cough - LL put that parcel in auctions just now....though!
Its the same like when a cop pass by a double parked car and doesnt give them a ticket.
So, they cant bid on this parcel and then have a floating eerm two floating skyboxes in them front yard...

But WAIT... What if they knew?
Its actually "worst"!

Its all about settings.
This one is taken with settings for to see all what is rezzed at 1000m (Im still this little dot/line)
everythingbeautifulltoo_001.thumb.jpg.949bbec1ac9f91eb28c5c443bdb8467f.jpg

Welcome to our "ugly" Mainland!
My term, I was always joking with: ...

Welcome to Mad Max Lands...!

So, what I want to question with these pictures is the WHY it matters when the "ugly" stuff is placed near a road and it doesnt when its placed in the middle of..."nowhere" as it appears in medium settings! These parcels are NOT 16 , neither 256 meters..
These are normal/big parcels...!

This is a pixel world!
Welcome! ;)

p.s. because...
The one who finally bid on that parcel and won it - they bid on it because:
They never read this post.
They never thought of all that.
They wasnt in world and they never TP there!
They didnt care. They was worst than that.
They thought that their neighbor will suiside.
They thought their neighbor will quit SL because went heartbroken
They LOVE floating skyboxes.
They knew that LL will take action after they report the floating stuff.
They bought it for L$550 and they was hoping to sell it for L$1000
They had claim it from LL to put it in auctions
Someone else won it and wantted to sell it to those who claimed it from LL for profit! 😮
They bought it for another reason!
They bought it for another cause!

p.s 2. I dkn if this is a bait, but this is one it is for Sure! -->
Note & Remember, how many of you was having their answer BANNED/REMOVED (THIS WEEK) because it was violating the Forums Guidlines after replying on someones REQUEST at wanted section and YOU mention names?

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 6:43 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Today I found a parcel in search, 96 sq meters, for sale for $180 L. How did this parcel come into existance?

I'd guess a land baron was shedding the excess sq meters to create a tier level parcel, which he will sell at a profit to some willing buyer. He is happy, and the purchaser is happy.

I scooped the parcel up, protected roadfront at that price is a fantastic deal. I carved out the part I wanted, then relisted the remaining 80 sq m parcel (still roadside protected) for the selling price point of $500 L. It will sell to a willing buyer in a matter of weeks. They will be happy, I will be doubly happy, everyone involved in all these transactions will be happy.

So whats is the problem? Well it seems people not involved in any of these transactions believe none of this should be allowed. They want LL to ban subdivsion under a certain land size, they want to ban the sale or transfer of land under a certain size, they want to make it illegal to build on parcels under a certain size.

And no, I'm not breaking rules about subdividing land, I'm entitled to reduce the size of a parcel to meet my needs. Those rules refer to buying a parcel then dividing up the whole thing to resell. If there was anyone breaking that rule, it was the original land baron. who cut off the parcel i ended up buying.

It all boils down to people wanting LL to force everyone to live Second Life the way THEY think it should be lived.

My message to LL, please  ignore these complainers, Second Life works just fine the way it is.

It's because you're ruining the view -- the buyers or renters of these parcels often put up ugly sounds. That devalues land we paid for. Then we're not happy.

No, it's not working fine when people who paid any amount, low or high, for tiny parcels, can devalue the land of larger owners of 4096 or even an entire sim, forcing them or their tenants off the land. No, that's not happiness.

The Lindens need to code it such that land of this type simply cannot be put for sale under X amount - 128 makes sense but they could contemplate higher or lower. I also think that Lindens need to install their own networked roadside ad system with tasteful signs for which residents pay as they do search/places ads, which now don't work well if at all.

When a top Linden executive tells me in a public meeting that they can't do billboards because this blights the landscape, he must not get inworld and see how buyers and sellers of microparcels already blight the land with ads or towers or glowing obelisks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2023 at 2:13 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

PS I thought people couldn't advertise your business in the discussion forums, and ads had to be put in the proper for sale/for rent forum. All of this is basically advertising on the OP's part.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

PS I thought people couldn't advertise your business in the discussion forums, and ads had to be put in the proper for sale/for rent forum. All of this is basically advertising on the OP's part.

I think if that is the case, it might backfire on them.   I'm fairly sure anyone reading this thread will NOT be using the goods or services of the OP.  In fact, some may even tell their friends about it and so on and so on.  

Ironic, don't ya think?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

When a top Linden executive tells me in a public meeting that they can't do billboards because this blights the landscape, he must not get inworld and see how buyers and sellers of microparcels already blight the land with ads or towers or glowing obelisks.

The landlord nevers checks in on the tenants .. shock supirse.

That said .. might not be a bad thing, the last time I saw mine it was because he decided to save a buck and do the plumbing himself, backed the drains up and flooded all the kitchens on the ground floor with effluent.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That said .. might not be a bad thing, the last time I saw mine it was because he decided to save a buck and do the plumbing himself, backed the drains up and flooded all the kitchens on the ground floor with effluent.

It could be worse. My landlord is terrible at maintenance, landscaping, and general upkeep, and I'm a homeowner.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's because you're ruining the view -- the buyers or renters of these parcels often put up ugly sounds. That devalues land we paid for. Then we're not happy.

No, it's not working fine when people who paid any amount, low or high, for tiny parcels, can devalue the land of larger owners of 4096 or even an entire sim, forcing them or their tenants off the land. No, that's not happiness.

The Lindens need to code it such that land of this type simply cannot be put for sale under X amount - 128 makes sense but they could contemplate higher or lower. I also think that Lindens need to install their own networked roadside ad system with tasteful signs for which residents pay as they do search/places ads, which now don't work well if at all.

You paid for land, not a view. Dial your draw down to 32 m and forget about what the neighbors are doing.

I like my idea better, ban man made ( as opposed to natural) objects on parcels smaller that 128 sq m.

Of course i suppose someone could rezz a giant boulder, then grafitti an ad on the rock. 😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
fixed a couple of words, aded a couple of lines

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

If you can show me where I put an ad for my business anywhere in this thread, I'll remove it.

Perhaps you mean saying that I advertise my business is advertising my business?

You constantly go on about your rentals, isn't that advertising?

I'm not selling advertising with my adboards, I'm self promoting.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff

It was a huge issue back in 2007-2008 which led to the start of the Arbor Project. We are starting to see it again and I am afraid we might have to get the organization more active. For example, in the past two weeks alone a resident has created 119 large neon blue ad towers by cutting up roadside plots and creating 16m - 64m plots promoting his estate. An area I might add where he doesn't allow ad towers. Making the mainland less livable to drive residents to his estates doesn't benefit Second Life. If you see any of these towers I recommend putting in an AR report. That practice certainly violated the LL policy on ad farming.

As to the comment:

They want LL to ban subdivsion under a certain land size, they want to ban the sale or transfer of land under a certain size, they want to make it illegal to build on parcels under a certain size.

That isn't true. What we don't want is a mainland filled with ad towers and deceptive practices (E.g. selling a 512 with a hole in the middle and griefing the resident to have to purchase it an inflated price. With Arbor, we have done small builds on microparcels that enhanced the SL experience. If everyone is considerate of their neighbors, this community thrives. If it is a "me at all costs" economic activity with no consideration of community members, then it isn't someone I want as a neighbor. Especially with a large blue ad tower.

Edited by Xerses Goff
Eliminate sim name
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Xerses Goff said:

It was a huge issue back in 2007-2008 which led to the start of the Arbor Project. We are starting to see it again and I am afraid we might have to get the organization more active. For example, in the past two weeks alone a resident has created 119 large neon blue ad towers by cutting up roadside plots and creating 16m - 64m plots promoting his estate. An area I might add where he doesn't allow ad towers. Making the mainland less livable to drive residents to his estates doesn't benefit Second Life. If you see any of these towers I recommend putting in an AR report. That practice certainly violated the LL policy on ad farming.

As to the comment:

They want LL to ban subdivsion under a certain land size, they want to ban the sale or transfer of land under a certain size, they want to make it illegal to build on parcels under a certain size.

That isn't true. What we don't want is a mainland filled with ad towers and deceptive practices (E.g. selling a 512 with a hole in the middle and griefing the resident to have to purchase it an inflated price. With Arbor, we have done small builds on microparcels that enhanced the SL experience. If everyone is considerate of their neighbors, this community thrives. If it is a "me at all costs" economic activity with no consideration of community members, then it isn't someone I want as a neighbor. Especially with a large blue ad tower.

I'm curious, how do you know they have 119 ad plots? The limit is 50, so defo AR them

The they I refer to is people in this very forum that have suggested those very things to eliminate the "scourge" of micro parcels and networked advertising, oh and rounding tier up to 128 for each micro parcel

And who would buy a 512 with a 16 sq m piece cut out of the middle?

It looks like all the cheap micro parcels have been scooped up, I've not found one in a while now.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed he to they, fixed spelling, added quotation marks
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.