Fun with Physics in Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made a swing set once. It uses physics and you have to push yourself along using the arrow keys. I've set it up at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Shermerville NW/118/88/27 so you can come play with it if you want.

https://gyazo.com/c0c529f3f861912b6c9228e068068dd9

Edited by CaithLynnSayes
  • Like 4

There was a sim where somebody made a trebuchet and if you clicked it, it would rez a temporary cow and then fling it across the sim 🙂 You could also sit on it and click it and it’d throw you instead...was brilliant!

There’s a bouncy castle built by Silent Mole at Rizal, perhaps it's the oldest one on SL? 

On 4/7/2023 at 10:03 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

I also enjoy making physical balls on a sky platform, especially if you can make them rubber. Then either push them off or make the platform phantom. This can of course seem like griefing to neighbors, so be careful where you do this. Objects falling from the sky and rolling about can be fun to some, but annoying to others.

I once made a skybox physical and it crashed on a poetry night :/ I also once rezzed physical beach balls and drove around into them on a golf course and the owner went bananas...so yes, check before you do it! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rat Luv said:

There was a sim where somebody made a trebuchet and if you clicked it, it would rez a temporary cow and then fling it across the sim 🙂 

There was a TV show "Northern Exposure" in which (as I recall) the characters were going to fling a cow, but decided to fling an old piano instead.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

🙂 

I once made a skybox physical and it crashed on a poetry night :/ I also once rezzed physical beach balls and drove around into them on a golf course and the owner went bananas...so yes, check before you do it! 

In the old days when we used mega prims, I once accidentally set my megaprim sky platform physical. It crashed into a neighboring goth club.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

One of my first commissions as a scripter was to help commemorate a historic event somewhere -- I've forgotten now -- in South America, where part of the action involved blowing a building apart. It involved a dreadful mess of fire and smoke particles, loud bangs, and a prim-heavy building that suddenly went physical and scattered itself over the region. I think a cow was involved somehow too. It wasn't very sophisticated even by 2008 standards, but it was impressive.  

• Like 5

Positioning a giant anvil over someone without their knowledge, and then letting it drop on them as if from out of nowhere is always fun. Pianos, too. It's like being in a cartoon.

If you do it right, and they're on anything other than ground level, you can even poke them through the floor if you hit them just right. When they get back from the bathroom they have no idea how they ended up in the harbor 4000 meters down, lol.

It's also fun when someone tries to catch me with an orbiter cage, and I hop out of it and grab it and knock them off the platform with it. XD

Or they rezz a follower and I make it teabag them.

I can't help it. I know, I'm awful.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, PheebyKatz said:

Positioning a giant anvil over someone without their knowledge, and then letting it drop on them as if from out of nowhere is always fun. Pianos, too. It's like being in a cartoon.

If you do it right, and they're on anything other than ground level, you can even poke them through the floor if you hit them just right. When they get back they have no idea how they ended up in the harbor 4000 meters down, lol.

It's also fun when someone tries to catch me with an orbiter cage, and I hop out of it and grab it and knock them off the platform with it. XD

I miss my anvil drop.. I really loved doing that to friends..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I miss my anvil drop.. I really loved doing that to friends..

OMG that's right, there's actually an anvil dropper thingy that does it for you!

I kinda like scattering them all around and then whipping them up like a whirlwhind though, and that takes manual manipulation.

Playing pinball with inworld objects is a lot of fun, too, you just give yourself points for difficult shots and stuff.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

OMG that's right, there's actually an anvil dropper thingy that does it for you!

I kinda like scattering them all around and then whipping them up like a whirlwhind though, and that takes manual manipulation.

Playing pinball with inworld objects is a lot of fun, too, you just give yourself points for difficult shots and stuff.

I just remember someone in the older forums was the one that made the one I used..  I just remember picking who to drop it on and then it coming out of the sky and landing on them and they would go to the ground like in the cartoons and then get right back up.. It didn't really do much more than that, that I know of.. But I was still sort of new then and only like a year in.. So it may have been able to do more than that..

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I just remember someone in the older forums was the one that made the one I used..  I just remember picking who to drop it on and then it coming out of the sky and landing on them and they would go to the ground like in the cartoons and then get right back up.. It didn't really do much more than that, that I know of.. But I was still sort of new then and only like a year in.. So it may have been able to do more than that..

A friend of mine had one, and used it on me once. Well, more like ten times in a row, but it was one occasion. XD As for scattering and moving them manually, that's just me doing stuff with anvils I made, lol.

I'm really big on playing with what they gave us by default, some of what can be done is freaking hilarious. Like ball pits full of bananas and stuff. Heck, with a little help, you can even go surfing.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 5

• Moles

For the epic grid-wide searching adventure Tyrah and the Curse of the Magical Glytches, LDPW moles created dropping anvils, dropping pianos, bear traps, sinking mudholes, runaway buses, whirlwinds, meteors, and all sorts of other perils.  You can still run across them in selected surprise spots around the grid.  Lots of fun with physics (and other things).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

For the epic grid-wide searching adventure Tyrah and the Curse of the Magical Glytches, LDPW moles created dropping anvils, dropping pianos, bear traps, sinking mudholes, runaway buses, whirlwinds, meteors, and all sorts of other perils.  You can still run across them in selected surprise spots around the grid.  Lots of fun with physics (and other things).

I think you are describing random grid-wide glitches though. ;)

j/k

Edited by CaithLynnSayes
  • Like 2

I made some domino bricks.

The second ball should have been a little further back so the tall brick had hit it. If you look closely, you can see that i had to click the second ball to start it.

sorry for the quality of the gif.

image.gif.b31442e55c289adb8cf4c9c109587f12.gif

The video the gif was made from was speeded up about 15 times to make the file size small enough to upload to the forums.

Edited by Bent Luik
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.