Object Properties

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,  I always enjoy seeing really cool stuff in SL and then bringing up the Properties of the item so I can see who the Creator is and the exact name of the item. That way I can do some research and hopefully find and buy the item for myself.

Anyway, lately I have come across a few Items that have their Properties hidden.  Is this something that is done in the Firestorm viewer?  And if not how are these owners making the information hidden?   Please see Gyazo photo to help explain what I am seeing.  I went to "edit" the sailboat to see the Properties and this is what I got.

https://gyazo.com/549f05c586859bc75ce80a790f769124

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, VelvetTaco said:

Hi,  I always enjoy seeing really cool stuff in SL and then bringing up the Properties of the item so I can see who the Creator is and the exact name of the item. That way I can do some research and hopefully find and buy the item for myself.

Anyway, lately I have come across a few Items that have their Properties hidden.  Is this something that is done in the Firestorm viewer?  And if not how are these owners making the information hidden?   Please see Gyazo photo to help explain what I am seeing.  I went to "edit" the sailboat to see the Properties and this is what I got.

https://gyazo.com/549f05c586859bc75ce80a790f769124

Thank you.

Probably more of a lag issue or your connection.

"Nothing selected". For whatever reason, there's no selected object.

There are situations in which you can't select objects. If the object is on the other side of a privacy boundary (a "ban line"), you can't do much to it.

Can you get close to the object?

34 minutes ago, animats said:

"Nothing selected". For whatever reason, there's no selected object.

There are situations in which you can't select objects. If the object is on the other side of a privacy boundary (a "ban line"), you can't do much to it.

Can you get close to the object?

Well, no offense but I obviously selected "something", in this case the sailboat, like I mentioned, otherwise the property window would not nave come up ;).  I am literally on the deck of the boat and there are no ban lines in the Marina.

And no, it is not a lag issue.  I can click on another item and see the Properties of it immediately.

Edited by VelvetTaco

35 minutes ago, VelvetTaco said:

Well, no offense but I obviously selected "something", in this case the sailboat, like I mentioned, otherwise the property window would not nave come up ;).  I am literally on the deck of the boat and there are no ban lines in the Marina.

And no, it is not a lag issue.  I can click on another item and see the Properties of it immediately.

If you click something to bring up properties and it fails to select it, the window will still come up. It just won't show anything because nothing is selected. You can see on your own screenshot that nothing is selected, both from the lack of outlines around the object and the properties window telling you this is the case. You've checked the main things that might stop you selecting, so it's hard to say why without knowing where the object is and being able to take a look at your viewer settings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polenth Yue said:

If you click something to bring up properties and it fails to select it, the window will still come up. It just won't show anything because nothing is selected. You can see on your own screenshot that nothing is selected, both from the lack of outlines around the object and the properties window telling you this is the case. You've checked the main things that might stop you selecting, so it's hard to say why without knowing where the object is and being able to take a look at your viewer settings.

Ah, ok, I see what you are saying now.  Let me go back to that particular boat and see if I can get it to "select" properly.  Thanks everyone for trying to help me.  I really do appreciate it.

the usual practice for edit mode inspection is do it twice. first time won't show anything, twice is the charm. a more efficient manner is to use right click>Object Profile. it'll give you links to owner/creator. right click>Inspect will give you finer details on all the subcomponents of the object. only the edit mode will give you the guts in the Contents if that's what you're looking for.

You always need to select twice, if it's an object you don't own.  I run into this all the time, when I'm trying to move decor and stuff that's owned by my alt.  Select once to open the window, then select again and the window will then populate with the info.

I edit an item if I want to see who the builder is

Right click, click the edit box. Builder and owner both come up.  You can then click the builders name to get a profile. 

This has never failed to work for me. 

Edited by Doris Johnsky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.