THE SKIN FAIR 2023

Ceka Cianci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, CalypsoJewel said:

I was so busy looking at things on the walls that I never noticed a single gift lol. Since i'll be going back to grab a LOWEN skin, i'll have to take a look around again!

Lowen did have some nice skins!! I only mentioned the ones I could post a picture of! I’m definitely going back sometime next week to see what kind of makeup and addons they have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

It is so overwhelming. I found the gallery. I could not scroll more than maybe 1/6, perhaps 1/10 down before my eyes glazed over.

It can be a good thing for creators, to be an event sponsor, or in sim A. I managed to scroll to the letter "B" in sim A.

I get the option to buy tons of makeup every weekend, so makeup packs should be mostly 100 L, for me to consider them.

It was some really good skins, but I just can't look at all. It is good of you to post pictures here, and please include the price.

The LelEvo heads is 25% off, and since they are much cheaper than Catwa, the special ones for the fair should be something like 3000 L now? Roughly 4000 L ordinary price, 25% off is 1000 L.

It is so great that LelEvo makes so many male heads.

Catwa is pricing themself out off the market.

The bad thing for them is, if they don't update to the Evo X map on their heads, they probably won't do very well in the current market with getting new customers..

Honestly, I thought they pretty much were out of the market.. I was surprised to see them at the Skin fair.

I keep trying to attach the demo of either of the new heads to unpack them and they keep detaching and won't unpack..

I tried wearing  them, putting them on the ground, they just go poof.. That sucks.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The bad thing for them is, if they don't update to the Evo X map on their heads, they probably won't do very well in the current market with getting new customers..

Honestly, I thought they pretty much were out of the market.. I was surprised to see them at the Skin fair.

I don't know the details (not sure if anyone does, really), but I think Catwa's been out of SL for quite a bit to deal with RL issues. I'm glad she's back and I hope she's doing well. 

Getting a new head dropped at Skin Fair was a bit of a surprise, so I hope that means she's back in the game. HOWEVER, as you note, Evo X has taken over so completely now, that I dunno what creators who don't use the map are going to do. Unless they can convince skin/makeup designers not to drop SLUV support, that's going to be rough. I only know of a few stores I can reliably buy brand new SLUV skins from.

Genus is in the same position. The last I heard, their new heads and updates will be backwards SLUV compatible, but they aren't going for Evo X. They're using a different/custom system from the sound of it? It'll be interesting to see if anyone picks it up.

Which reminds me - the Skin Fair catalog AND sims are so overwhelming I didn't really spend much time checking - has anyone seen any SLUV skins or makeup at the event? I think there's at least one lipstick pack, as I saw it in the Genus catalog, but...?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I don't know the details (not sure if anyone does, really), but I think Catwa's been out of SL for quite a bit to deal with RL issues. I'm glad she's back and I hope she's doing well. 

Getting a new head dropped at Skin Fair was a bit of a surprise, so I hope that means she's back in the game. HOWEVER, as you note, Evo X has taken over so completely now, that I dunno what creators who don't use the map are going to do. Unless they can convince skin/makeup designers not to drop SLUV support, that's going to be rough. I only know of a few stores I can reliably buy brand new SLUV skins from.

Genus is in the same position. The last I heard, their new heads and updates will be backwards SLUV compatible, but they aren't going for Evo X. They're using a different/custom system from the sound of it? It'll be interesting to see if anyone picks it up.

Which reminds me - the Skin Fair catalog AND sims are so overwhelming I didn't really spend much time checking - has anyone seen any SLUV skins or makeup at the event? I think there's at least one lipstick pack, as I saw it in the Genus catalog, but...?

Ya if Genus goes with their own map, that' won't be good for them at all..They really need to become more compatible with the market.. Lelutka seen a good opportunity and had a really good product that made the change worth it.. those really good Christmas heads drawing so many to them, then a couple months later coming out with new heads with the new maps and updating their other heads to those.. They just haven't slowed down ever since..

I'm curious if anyone has tried to demo the newest Catwa heads from the fair yet and had any problem unpacking the demos.. The things are in there.. I just can't get the package to stay rezzed on my screen or on the ground or in my hand , long enough to get the things into my inventory..

It has to be done by edit mode and by the time they are just starting to load in the contents window I see them for a split second and then,* POOF*

Edited by Ceka Cianci

28 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya if Genus goes with their own map, that' won't be good for them at all..They really need to become more compatible with the market.. Lelutka seen a good opportunity and had a really good product that made the change worth it.. those really good Christmas heads drawing so many to them, then a couple months later coming out with new heads with the new maps and updating their other heads to those.. They just haven't slowed down ever since..

Yup, that's the plan. No Evo X. Now, for female heads, that might not be toooo much of an issue as there are still some SLUV creators around and Genus stuff is still around here and there, but for their new male heads, that's gonna hurt a bit. Unless they release with an event and creators onboard (or a big ole pack of skins), guys might find themselves having to wear old Lel or Catwa skins/hairbases/etc. for a while until some new stuff for the map is created.

28 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm curious if anyone has tried to demo the Catwa heads and had any problem unpacking the demos.. The things are in there.. I just can't get the package to stay rezzed on my screen or on the ground or in my hand , long enough to get the things into my inventory..

It has to be done by edit mode and by the time they are just starting to load in the contents window I see them for a split second and then,* POOF*

Hmm, I have not heard that yet. Lemme hop over to Skin Fair, assuming I can get my non-premium butt in, and I'll grab a demo and check for you. I've been meaning to test out the head myself anyway! Back in a bit. ❤️

Edit: Got into the event just fine. Crashed on the way out. As one does. 😄

The unpack HUD worked for me. It does pop up with a message about where it's attached blah blah Center 2 blah blah rigged meshes attached to HUD points blah blah. But it stayed on long enough to give me the folder. Maybe try tossing your copy and pick up a new one?

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Thanks 1

Ahhhhhh CEKA!!! I'm mad at you, girl. 😄 Why'd you let me try this head on?! It's SO CUTE!!! AAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!

Granted, it does look a lot like Queen HDPro, which is the only thing saving you from my wrath at the moment! I won't buy it because it is really close, but omg, I feel like it's even prettier without any help on my part.

This is without any shaping at all and only a touch of lipstick (hud-based). I'm wearing my regular skin and one of the No Modify shapes (the Legacy one, if you're curious) just for yolos. And yes, that IS a tree sitting on my roof and going through my ceiling. Lemme alone, I'm in the middle of building a skybox. 🤣

image.thumb.png.29dd4c3c37c7f4ea856bdecb710f75bd.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have been finding the Skin Fair disappointing for a few years now, mainly because it seems 99% of the skins/makeups are for EvoX and I am clinging to my Catwa like a fat kid to a bag of cookies!!!  I did grab the AlaskaMetro makeup though, cos I LOVE how colourful and creative they are...and they accommodate Catwa still! 

Ironically wearing an EvoX head in this pic cos I was blogging the hairbase!

Snapshot_002a.jpg

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Are there any male skins? 

And can someone post the LM?

There are!

Links (lemme know if any don't work - I grabbed them from the Juniper Events site):

Skin Fair shopping guide - https://juniperevents.net/skin-fair/sf-2023/shopping-guide/

Skin Fair SLURLs:

Sim A - https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Vahine Island/186/129/25

Sim B (Lelutka landing point) - https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Oxford/129/128/25

Sim C - https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Soulcity/73/128/25

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I honestly didn't think I'd find anything since I haven't in the past but...I was pleasantly surprised!  This is Yanet from Mila.  Love love love that it came with a shine reducer and those freckles!

NewfromtheSkinFair.thumb.jpg.874f84921ac53252146503fea29266ed.jpg

That is so pretty!

I kind of hate that everything good releases all at once. I'm right smack in the middle of a skybox renovation, so trying to reserve my Lindens for landscaping/outdoor items. Then Skin Fair happens and suddenly there are heads on sale, tons of brand new skins on sale, a whole new body I now want. GRRR! 

To make things worse, I just saw Moccino released a new male skin at Skin Fair, and considering how much I looooooooooooooooooooooove the one I'm currently using by them and have been wishing for more, now I want that, too! 😒😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Ahhhhhh CEKA!!! I'm mad at you, girl. 😄 Why'd you let me try this head on?! It's SO CUTE!!! AAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!

Granted, it does look a lot like Queen HDPro, which is the only thing saving you from my wrath at the moment! I won't buy it because it is really close, but omg, I feel like it's even prettier without any help on my part.

This is without any shaping at all and only a touch of lipstick (hud-based). I'm wearing my regular skin and one of the No Modify shapes (the Legacy one, if you're curious) just for yolos. And yes, that IS a tree sitting on my roof and going through my ceiling. Lemme alone, I'm in the middle of building a skybox. 🤣

image.thumb.png.29dd4c3c37c7f4ea856bdecb710f75bd.png

Ya, it's cute, but it really doesn't have anything different or new that separates it from the older heads that is gonna pull me from my lilly..

I was hoping they would have added something new to them.. Especially for not releasing something for awhile.. That's what had me excited seeing them there with new heads..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I honestly didn't think I'd find anything since I haven't in the past but...I was pleasantly surprised!  This is Yanet from Mila.  Love love love that it came with a shine reducer and those freckles!

NewfromtheSkinFair.thumb.jpg.874f84921ac53252146503fea29266ed.jpg

They do make some really nice head skins.. I haven't really gotten any of their 3rd generation skins yet, mainly because I've been hooked on some of their 2nd generations skins and I know I'll spend a ton of money if I go in there and start trying on demos of their new line.. hehehe

I think I did try the first few that came out last year, but they only came in lighter tones if i remember..

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya, it's cute, but it really doesn't have anything different or new that separates it from the older heads that is gonna pull me from my lilly..

I was hoping they would have added something new to them.. Especially for not releasing something for awhile.. That's what had me excited seeing them there with new heads..

Nope, standard HDPro. If you picked up Catwa Queen HDPro when that went free, you're going to get the same exact thing, pretty much. I'm totally fine with that, except I do wish the head looked a lot different. Straight out of the box, it looked pretty much just like me in Queen - with a slightly different nose. 

For me personally, the best HDPro feature is one I've never gotten a chance to use - the additional Beyond Shape sliders and the ability to shape OTHER people's heads for them in real time. Since I'm always getting asked for makeover help, I figured something like that would be a game changer. No more walking people through creating their own shapes - they can just export a HUD, transfer it to me, and I can grab their shape sliders and do it for them. However, since the heads never really took off, that's not something I've ever been asked to do. Most wear Lel, so it's back to shape coaching for me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Nope, standard HDPro. If you picked up Catwa Queen HDPro when that went free, you're going to get the same exact thing, pretty much. I'm totally fine with that, except I do wish the head looked a lot different. Straight out of the box, it looked pretty much just like me in Queen - with a slightly different nose. 

For me personally, the best HDPro feature is one I've never gotten a chance to use - the additional Beyond Shape sliders and the ability to shape OTHER people's heads for them in real time. Since I'm always getting asked for makeover help, I figured something like that would be a game changer. No more walking people through creating their own shapes - they can just export a HUD, transfer it to me, and I can grab their shape sliders and do it for them. However, since the heads never really took off, that's not something I've ever been asked to do. Most wear Lel, so it's back to shape coaching for me!

Oooh! Are any of those "help someone else" for guy heads? 

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Oooh! Are any of those "help someone else" for guy heads? 

You mean the HDPro Beyond Shape sliders? Yeah, Catwa George HDPro would have it. That's their only HDPro male head so far, unfortunately. I think it's at Skin Fair, but I don't think it's got a discount. I believe only the newest Emerald head has the 25% off.

It's designed to be used in addition to the base shape sliders, so you can't do 100% everything in-HUD, but you can tweak and fine tune pretty decently.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I take it the other person would have to have a catwa head as well?

If not, that would be good just putting the hud on to do that in a help situation.. I can't see them being able to do something like that without permission either..

Someone runs up to you with a catwa hud on and swooshes your nose to the side.. hehehe

17 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They do make some really nice head skins.. I haven't really gotten any of their 3rd generation skins yet, mainly because I've been hooked on some of their 2nd generations skins and I know I'll spend a ton of money if I go in there and start trying on demos of their new line.. hehehe

I think I did try the first few that came out last year, but they only came in lighter tones if i remember..

I've never used a Mila skin before.  I know I've tried them over the years but I'm kind of picky about tone.  Too many darker tones are orangish which I don't care for.  This one is just lovely.  Bonus is that the body skin from Mila for this tone works well with the Amber head skin I was wearing from Ives.  In fact, it matches better than the Velour body skin.  Go figure.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I take it the other person would have to have a catwa head as well?

If not, that would be good just putting the hud on to do that in a help situation.. I can't see them being able to do something like that without permission either..

Someone runs up to you with a catwa hud on and swooshes your nose to the side.. hehehe

I think it's a sharing system designed to be used between two HDPro users, yeah. Basically, user 1 says ahhh I need shape help. They create and export a HUD from their Style HUD, transfer it to user 2, and user 2 can then wear that shaping HUD and use it to manipulate person 1's sliders for them.

Here's a quick overview of the feature and how the shaping/sharing works, in case anyone's demoing the new head and is curious. It should start at the right time (45 seconds in, if not) - 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've never used a Mila skin before.  I know I've tried them over the years but I'm kind of picky about tone.  Too many darker tones are orangish which I don't care for.  This one is just lovely.  Bonus is that the body skin from Mila for this tone works well with the Amber head skin I was wearing from Ives.  In fact, it matches better than the Velour body skin.  Go figure.

Ya, it has to be the right mix, too bronze or olive or too much red mixed in and I just take them off right away and don't bother looking at the details.. If I can tint things then I'll try and see if I can, but ya it has to feel natural.. It's really hard to find good darker tones and those that can do them right..

When using darker tones, a lot more factors come into play for us I think, because more stands out.. Material layers need to be the right material layers or they look like we are waxed, neck lines stand out hard and wet can look like we have a disease  if we don't have the mix set right.. hehehe

I have a few from their 2nd generation in toffee, almond and cocoa.  Their almond in that generation is good for South Western  or South American tones which I really like..Their Cocoa is good for a summer time blend of those and feel right.. I think i have like 5 from their 2nd generation that hooked me  really quick.. one I wear most of the time.. hehehe

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I think it's a sharing system designed to be used between two HDPro users, yeah. Basically, user 1 says ahhh I need shape help. They create and export a HUD from their Style HUD, transfer it to user 2, and user 2 can then wear that shaping HUD and use it to manipulate person 1's sliders for them.

Here's a quick overview of the feature and how the shaping/sharing works, in case anyone's demoing the new head and is curious. It should start at the right time (45 seconds in, if not) - 

Oh ya, I remember those now.. I remember thinking ,if they could do something like that for any head and make something kind of like the axis where you could do that to any head. they would make a fortune.. hehehe

I was gonna mess with it, but remembered, when I got my HDpro. I thought I was on this avatar and was on an alt at the time.. So I don't even have it on this one.. I hate when I do that on big purchases.. hehehe

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Oh ya, I remember those now.. I remember thinking ,if they could do something like that for any head and make something kind of like the axis where you could do that to any head. they would make a fortune.. hehehe

I was gonna mess with it, but remembered, when I got my HDpro. I thought I was on this avatar and was on an alt at the time.. So I don't even have it on this one.. I hate when I do that on big purchases.. hehehe

Omg, imagine if someone created a system like that that could be used with all heads and/or bodies? Here, hold still, I'll customize your shape in real time - regardless of brand? Every stylist/shape creator on the grid would cash right in!

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how much work it is to walk someone else through shape sliders, which is why premades are so popular, I guess. Omg, the hours that would save. 

Oh, add to that the ability to apply makeup on other heads, too. Woot!

Ok speaking of shapes and makeup, lemme run myself over to Skin Fair again and grab that Moccino skin demo, LOL. It's too cute not to at least try it. 

Here it is, in case any guys are in the market for a skin (there are others by other designers, but this is my fav so far):

MOCCINO_SF23__001.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Omg, imagine if someone created a system like that that could be used with all heads and/or bodies? Here, hold still, I'll customize your shape in real time - regardless of brand? Every stylist/shape creator on the grid would cash right in!

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how much work it is to walk someone else through shape sliders, which is why premades are so popular, I guess. Omg, the hours that would save. 

Oh, add to that the ability to apply makeup on other heads, too. Woot!

Ok speaking of shapes and makeup, lemme run myself over to Skin Fair again and grab that Moccino skin demo, LOL. It's too cute not to at least try it. 

Here it is, in case any guys are in the market for a skin (there are others by other designers, but this is my fav so far):

MOCCINO_SF23__001.png

Nice uh..eyes! Yeah, eyes!

(And lips. Very nice lips.)

/me unglues eyeballs from screen

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.