Lab Gab?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok. The devil's in the details obviously, and we'll have to see how the new policy looks when it comes out, but I am pleasantly surprised by the response to the question about bots. And putting more control over access by scripted agents into the hands of estate owners is a great idea (and one that was suggested here, so good on them for listening).

(I'm sorry, however, that this will only be available to estate owners. It rather disadvantages the mainland . . . again.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Can you by any chance indicate where approximately in the show the bot part starts?
I'm not all that interested in wading trough important info like why a Linden changed avatar and stuff.

There's a transcript in YouTube that shows the bot subject coming up at 12:05.

Anybody know what a "single folder Inventory view" would be?? (about 18:45)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

There's a transcript in YouTube that shows the bot subject coming up at 12:05.

Anybody know what a "single folder Inventory view" would be?? (about 18:45)

I'm guessing the single inventory folder might have a lot of the regular inventory options maybe..

Maybe we'll be able to sort and things in there.. It'll be interesting to see for sure..

A lot still seems down the road..

Also the NUX seems like it won't be at the beginning of the year either.. I was hoping for that to be soon..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting view of the Mobile they are working on though bit of an eye roll that they didn't start on it till last October. Would have been good if they committed themselves for a change and gave a definite date when the beta would be released one way or another. I think it could be a game changer for new users, much more than the PBR stuff.

12 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Can you by any chance indicate where approximately in the show the bot part starts?
I'm not all that interested in wading trough important info like why a Linden changed avatar and stuff.

There's not a great deal of detail there, Sid -- mostly just that the add-on about changing estate tools to help manage bots.

But the fact that it's the second question addressed would seem to suggest that they are taking it seriously. I am reasonably optimistic?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There's not a great deal of detail there, Sid -- mostly just that the add-on about changing estate tools to help manage bots.

I can't help but wonder why they'd put that in Estate tools instead of regular About Land parcel access control.

But I really wonder why this demanded (apparently extensive) review by Legal and Compliance. I suppose bots are accounts too, but jeeze.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

About 12:30 when I checked. As Qie says, the index also shows in the video.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I can't help but wonder why they'd put that in Estate tools instead of regular About Land parcel access control.

But I really wonder why this demanded (apparently extensive) review by Legal and Compliance. I suppose bots are accounts too, but jeeze.

..so it applies to your entire Estate (all your holdings), or you can manage that option all in one place?

Does this indeed mean it does not apply to Mainland "parcel owners"?

That mobile viewer preview looks promising. If it can stream the world like shown today, that will be a major improvement and may be a game changer in attracting new people (If they repair the sign up module on the website in time that is).

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Does this indeed mean it does not apply to Mainland "parcel owners"?

That's the inference.

Bots can scrape information from a region from any point within a region; excluding them from your parcel won't prevent them from accessing what's within, I don't think. (Although I wonder if restricting the ability to see within the parcel would? Possibly?). So I can sort of understand why the controls are at the estate level -- although this seems to exclude landowners of entire mainland regions.

On the other hand, there's plenty of evidence that people are just annoyed at having bots simply pop in unannounced and uninvited into their homes, etc. So parcel controls would be nice. And I'm not really sure why they'd be more difficult to implement?

• Like 8

We may be kinda speculating that it won't be available on Mainland (or Estate) parcels because:

we are making some product changes uh where we're putting control in the hands of Estates so that an estate owner will be able to choose access levels for scripted agents going forward

which doesn't exactly preclude it also being available at the parcel level. (It doesn't even specify that it will be at the Region level, as opposed to the whole Estate, but I can't imagine any large estate wouldn't want at least Region specificity.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Really good question. Patch said, as I recall, that they were consulting lawyers about the impact of the GDPR on this, so that might be the issue -- what can they safely allow bots to scrape, without triggering a possible privacy challenge?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Because I asked about the NUX avatars, I'm glad Patch addressed the subject (around 25:50) although of course I have more questions. They'll be "PBR ready" which is a little vague although I think it implies the dev kit will include ways of using PBR materials at least. ("some of our initial content won't necessarily come out with PBR materials and such enabled on them but they absolutely will work with them.") The permissions subject wasn't part of the discussion, but he did mention the avatars would "give them a nice set of Standards to kind of grow from" whatever that turns out to mean.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Because I asked about the NUX avatars, I'm glad Patch addressed the subject (around 25:50) although of course I have more questions. They'll be "PBR ready" which is a little vague although I think it implies the dev kit will include ways of using PBR materials at least. ("some of our initial content won't necessarily come out with PBR materials and such enabled on them but they absolutely will work with them.") The permissions subject wasn't part of the discussion, but he did mention the avatars would "give them a nice set of Standards to kind of grow from" whatever that turns out to mean.

The other key bit of information there was the news that dev kits would be available to creators in advance of the release of the avatars, so that there will hopefully be content for them ready to go at launch. And that's definitely a good thing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The other key bit of information there was the news that dev kits would be available to creators in advance of the release of the avatars, so that there will hopefully be content for them ready to go at launch. And that's definitely a good thing.

Mainly for user created content at launch.. The thing that is holding them up right now is the finishing touches on the content they are coming with..

The real nice thing about these kits is, it's gonna put dev kits in everyone's hands.. So now rather than filling out applications that get turned down because you haven't proven yourself worthy to a creator.. people can start to learn from these kits , build up an inventory of work and get approved if they do decide to apply for a creators dev kit..

Just wih that we should see a lot of content getting created for the NUX.. it's almost like a byproduct of a new creators growth which  could keep them constantly getting new content for the NUX avatars..

To me that's one of the best most smoothest slickest things about the NUX.:D

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:37 AM, Sid Nagy said:

I think it would be a great improvement, if they would film Lab Gab with their RL identities instead of their emotionless SL avatars.

Sid, I'm surprised at you!  IMMERSION.  I think many folks would be disappointed not to see Strawberry, given her pre-Linden identity as the blogger helping residents sort the early mesh body madness.  And the "Patch" avatar has a fan club that I doubt his typist, fabulous tho he may be (glances dubiously at LL's "About" pages), could muster.  Witty and charming tho his typist obviously is. 

Also, I don't believe that Mojo and Patch are co-located, and I have no idea what office Grumpity works out of.  Dunno about you, but I've had enough of staring at a bunch of Zoom cameras to last me a lifetime.

And finally, if they didn't do Lab Gab virtually, wouldn't that sort of poke holes in the premise that it's possible to use SL as a collaborative work environment?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Sid, I'm surprised at you!  IMMERSION.  I think many folks would be disappointed not to see Strawberry, given her pre-Linden identity as the blogger helping residents sort the early mesh body madness.  And the "Patch" avatar has a fan club that I doubt his typist, fabulous tho he may be (glances dubiously at LL's "About" pages), could muster.  Witty and charming tho his typist obviously is. 

Also, I don't believe that Mojo and Patch are co-located, and I have no idea what office Grumpity works out of.  Dunno about you, but I've had enough of staring at a bunch of Zoom cameras to last me a lifetime.

And finally, if they didn't do Lab Gab virtually, wouldn't that sort of poke holes in the premise that it's possible to use SL as a collaborative work environment?

I can see your point, but Lab Gab is taped so static. It pretends to be some kind of TV talk show, but it is more radio than anything else. No advertisement for SL compared to what others produce  inside of SL and post on Youtube IMHO.

The first minutes about the mobile app were reasonable the rest way too static.
Most exciting motion was the moving tale after that.
I personally would go for a podcast production when I only could come up with so little action on the screen.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I can see your point, but Lab Gab is taped so static. It pretends to be some kind of TV talk show, but it is more radio than anything else. No advertisement for SL compared to what others produce  inside of SL and post on Youtube IMHO.

Ahhhh, now I'm with you!  It IS like radio.  LL is missing an opportunity to make Lab Gab into more of a showcase of what SL can really do.  It is so LAME that there was discussion of Grumpity changing her avatar, like it's a big thing, when SL performers regularly completely change their avatars in regions with 60 spectators, just to better emote a moment in a dance. @Strawberry Linden could:

• Make up - or buy, god knows there are a billion 3D backdrops around -  a studio version of LL's office.  While Strawberry does introductions and a quick agenda in voiceover, show the meeting participants arriving, chatting, and being seated.  Do NOT rely on the meeting participants to actually do this, use people-movers like SL dancers do.  Have it choreographed.    Easy for anyone familiar with the tools to do.
  • Use SL camera management to zoom in on things on the wall or presentations, and then cross-fade to either a different SL or RL scene.  Yes, just a little post-production editing!  
  • You're gonna ask Patch about Linden Homes every time until Belli is done.  This clearly is painful for him.  So show him in an interrogation scene, projector light blinding him and all.  Or have him get up and move the hands on a doomsday clock to show how soon he hopes something will happen (that clock is still in - oh, I forget the region ... unused nowadays).  Or have him actually say a date, but have it be inaudible because a mask appears and blocks his mouth. Or somebody's terrier comes in and barks frantically.
  • Feel free to have someone momentarily completely change their avatar, on camera, to illustrate a reaction.  This can be done in one keystroke, or via your movement control tool.  Like if Mojo is very proud of something his team does, change into a WWE champion!  Whatever! 
  • Have meeting participants stand up and walk out while Strawberry high-5s the cameraman. Or have the floor & chairs disappear and dump them all in the water, I've been to weddings that ended that way.  Particularly impressive if they're wearing clothes that actually get wet and drip.

These things can be done, no big deal.  If you have to, hire a mole to do choreography and filming.  These are things SL performers and machinima-makers do every week.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.