10 best subscription MMO's includes SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:44 PM, EliseAnne85 said:

Okies, I should have said "spanning across three decades"...  (I'll edit my other post).

2003 (SL opened to public) to 2013 is one decade. 2013 to 2023 is the second decade.   

While it is true Linden Research was founded in 1999 at the time the focus was on hardware, not software. It wasn't until 2001 that Philip made the decision to go the software route instead. Sorry, it doesn't actually span 3 decades, only 2.

With the help of a financial windfall that he reaped from his time at RealNetworks, Rosedale formed Linden Lab in 1999. His initial focus was on the development of hardware that would enable computer users to be fully immersed in a 360 degree virtual reality experience. In its earliest form, the company struggled to produce a commercial version of "The Rig," which was realized in prototype form as a clunky steel contraption with several computer monitors that users could wear on their shoulders.[5] That vision soon morphed into the software-based application Linden World, where computer users could participate in task-based games and socialization in a 3D online environment. That effort would eventually transform into the better-known, user-centered Second Life.

During a 2001 meeting with investors, Rosedale noticed that the participants were particularly responsive to the collaborative, creative potential of Second Life. As a result, the initial objective-driven, gaming focus of Second Life was shifted to a more user-created, community-driven experience.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linden_Lab

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

2003 (SL opened to public) to 2013 is one decade. 2013 to 2023 is the second decade.   

While it is true Linden Research was founded in 1999 at the time the focus was on hardware, not software. It wasn't until 2001 that Philip made the decision to go the software route instead. Sorry, it doesn't actually span 3 decades, only 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linden_Lab

You are talking ten years as a decade, which a decade can be ten years of anything.  A calendar decade, from my understanding, is different.  Thus, SL has been alive in three decades or one could say three calendar decades - the 2000's, the 2010's, and the 2020's.  

It makes sense to me.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

21 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Sounds decadent, sort of.

Kind of, yes.  

Now onto the topic and SL is subscription - NO!  And, I *hope* sincerely SL will never be subscription only unless they provide a wallet of some kind.  I have had issues with auto payments since some months have 5 weeks and things get screwy with auto pay.  I have one auto pay and it's enough of a headache.  I won't do another one.

27 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I have had issues with auto payments since some months have 5 weeks and things get screwy with auto pay.  I have one auto pay and it's enough of a headache.  I won't do another one.

How does that screw anything up? Your monthly subscription should come out on the same date each month. I've never had any issues with autopay.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

How does that screw anything up? Your monthly subscription should come out on the same date each month. I've never had any issues with autopay.

Same day each month?  My auto pay for another thing does not.  Don't ask me how the one I'm talking about bills because it's beyond me.  Just too weird to even try to reiterate what they told me when I asked about their billing method.  How did I get screwed up with auto pay.  I've been screwed up twice by two different prominent businesses by them billing twice in a month.  Only one I had an overdraft.  The other I caught in time, by random luck.  I was wondering about my odd situation and that they should be billing me the same day every month so there are no problems.  BTW, I've never had a subscription with SL.  Ever.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

I can't speak for SL billing as I've always been basic (lol), but I've used auto pay for all my payments/subscriptions across the years and never hade any issues. 

Streaming services, Game Pass, game subs, domain names and hosting, regular bills, etc. Some direct (via credit card/bank account) and some via Paypal.

I got double charged by a company once in 10 years, but they caught and fixed the mistake within a day or two. I didn't even contact them about it.

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I can't speak for SL billing as I've always been basic (lol), but I've used auto pay for all my payments/subscriptions across the years and never hade any issues. 

Streaming services, Game Pass, game subs, domain names and hosting, regular bills, etc. Some direct (via credit card/bank account) and some via Paypal.

I got double charged by a company once in 10 years, but they caught and fixed the mistake within a day or two. I didn't even contact them about it.

I'm lucky I caught this last one.  The other one was considered my fault but that auto pay was a long time ago too and I think the billing cycle was every 30 days way back then which can get screwed up.  I am going to call my other auto pay and ask if they will bill me on the same day each month and see what happens.  I don't wish to be subscription to SL, though.  I've always been a vagabond SLer but not a free player.  I spend what I make.  I've only cashed out once my entire SL.  But, overall, I hope SL stay F2P, and I give out my free things.  I'd prefer SL keep charity and affordable to all.  I don't like when companies start enforcing things, they may end shooting themselves in the foot...they never know. 

2 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

You are talking ten years as a decade, which a decade can be ten years of anything.  A calendar decade, from my understanding, is different.  Thus, SL has been alive in three decades or one could say three calendar decades - the 2000's, the 2010's, and the 2020's.  

You don't measure the lifespan of things, events, or people by calendar decades. If something is 'three decades old' it's thirty years old, SL is barely twenty years old and thus '(almost) two decades'.

A person born in 1999 wouldn't be 'two decades' old in 2000, but in 2019. 

WWII lasted from 1939-1945 which is 'less than a decade', not 'two decades'. 

What you're referring to is the (rather odd) way English sometimes says 'it's the 21st century', which doesn't mean that 2100 years since year 0 has passed, but that 20 centuries have passed and that we're currently working our way through the 21st. It's a fair bit more rare (even though, by the same logic, not incorrect) to say that we're 'in the third decade of the twenty-first century' though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Orwar said:

WWII lasted from 1939-1945 which is 'less than a decade', not 'two decades'.

Ok.  I don't wish to talk decades too much longer as it's the weekend and I'm outta here.

But, we know the 1930's and 1940's are two distinct decades, but they just don't become a decade until they reach the number 9 and then start anew with the number 0, such as 1939 finishes one decade and 1940 begins the new decade.  (Is this what you are saying?  In short, it needs to be a full 10 years to become a decade?)  It's complicated, I think.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

2 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

It makes sense to me.  

A decade is 10 calendar years.

A decade (from Ancient Greek δεκάς (dekas) 'a group of ten') is a period of ten years. Decades may describe any ten-year period, such as those of a person's life, or refer to specific groupings of calendar years.

[...]

Public usage of the two methods[edit]

A YouGov poll was conducted on December 2, 2019, asking 13,582 adults in the United States, "When do you think the next decade will begin and end?" Results showed that 64% answered that "the next decade" would begin on January 1, 2020, and end on December 31, 2029 (0-to-9 method); 17% answered that "the next decade" would begin on January 1, 2021, and end on December 31, 2030 (1-to-0 method); 19% replied that they did not know.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade

21 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I'm lucky I caught this last one.  The other one was considered my fault but that auto pay was a long time ago too and I think the billing cycle was every 30 days way back then which can get screwed up.  I am going to call my other auto pay and ask if they will bill me on the same day each month and see what happens.  I don't wish to be subscription to SL, though.  I've always been a vagabond SLer but not a free player.  I spend what I make.  I've only cashed out once my entire SL.  But, overall, I hope SL stay F2P, and I give out my free things.  I'd prefer SL keep charity and affordable to all.  I don't like when companies start enforcing things, they may end shooting themselves in the foot...they never know. 

I wouldn't worry about SL. There is zero chance SL goes sub only. That ship has sailed. That was popular back in 2004 and whatnot, but not in modern day gaming.

WoW and FFXIV are the only two that I know of that still function with a "sub required to access all content" model (and WoW's subs are purchasable by grinding for in-game gold, so no real cash needed if you play a lot), and that's to fund, among other things, ongoing development of major content expansions, which LL doesn't have to worry about, since we do all that for them. 😁

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

A decade is 10 calendar years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade

Well, (lol) I was married for nearly three decades and you can see who did the finances...(hint)...it wasn't me.  Although, I could "budget" for meals really well in my head and maybe went over budget perhaps four times in total in my whole married life, which was a long time.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

It's complicated, I think. 

It really isn't though. 10 years = 1 decade, whether that's 1992-2002 or if it's 'the nineties' (i.e. new year's day 1990 to new year's eve 1999). Just the same way 'a century' can refer either to all the years starting with the first two digits (like the 1900's, or the 20th century), or a given period of 100 years (such as 1856-1956). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Or how about this one.

SL will soon be celebrating it's vicennial.  

No.

Vicennial suggests that it's a 20-year cycle, i.e. something occurring every 20 years (such as a planet completing a revolution around the sun in 20 earth years' time). 

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

No.

Vicennial suggests that it's a 20-year cycle, i.e. something occurring every 20 years (such as a planet completing a revolution around the sun in 20 earth years' time). 

What do you think of this first definition below (I'll paste link where I got it, kinda crappy dictionary?)  BTW, I was just thinking the other day that some of AI isn't all that great and some AI even presents difficulty in our lives.  I wish that the world would get back to hiring more people.  I think we do a better job than AI.  AI is often crap.  It gives us a lot of misinformation.   I need to put up a new dictionary, me thinks. 

adjective
1. of or for 20 years.
2. occurring every 20 years.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.