New Last Names

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I did my name change back in 2020, and while I'd have preferred 'Spitfire' if that last name had been available, I feel that my chosen name works well and reflects more of who I am in Second Life. I dislike that it cost me $40 but the annoyance of people addressing me by my username instead of my display name was enough to push me to do the name change.

The latest additions are... okay, I guess? But I cannot help but feel that the Lab view these purely as a money-making exercise. The irony is that they could probably make the options way cheaper and end up making more money due to increased take-up.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Spiffy Voxel said:

The latest additions are... okay, I guess? But I cannot help but feel that the Lab view these purely as a money-making exercise. The irony is that they could probably make the options way cheaper and end up making more money due to increased take-up.

Yeah, I've looked a few times at the available names and not really been impressed. There was only the one we liked this time. I think it is purely a money making exercise... the whole way the last name thing works. As to making it cheaper, unfortunately standard business practice seems to dictate that selling fewer for more money each is always chosen over selling far more for less money. A trend I see more and more in RL, even when it seems nonsensical. Such is (second) life.

Anyway... I have a new name. Yay! (I never did like Daylight really, it was the best of the bunch I think when I first joined. Stupid idea* LL has always had with last names.)

*Edit: Stupid for everything except money-grabbing of course.

Edited by Rick Nightingale

Ha - this is confusing! It's so long since I've had a 'clean' account. No chat logs, no TP history... it didn't occur to me that it would be effectively a new account from the viewer's point of view.

I tried copying my profile folder over from the old account name and it seems to have worked. Got my history back. Nothing's exploded yet. Now to see if I can log into the beta grid*... (all these name change implications I never thought of, lol)

*Edit: Of course not - need to get my accounts added to Aditi now.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Livi Littlepaws said:

I am SO close to become Livi Pixelbottom!

I was thinking I might like Tipsy Pixelbottom myself.   Tipsy Pixelbottom sounds like a friend of James Bond.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

All I can say is I am still amazed I grabbed Heartsong when that last name was available. Still have yet to see any that I like more.

Unfortunately, the male name I wanted with that for my alt was taken and now can not get that last name for him anymore. LL should allow any previous last name they offered to be available.

• Like 3

I don't think I would have enough self control to rock the name sausage without getting timed out the first 5 minutes having it. 40 dollars for 5 minutes of.. 

I'm sure the Sausage families out there are very nice, (little too nice). They live in the shadows, for good reason. 

Edit: Adjusts my tolerance threshold, I vow to always be civil and respectful to every sausage I meat. 

Annotation 2023-03-01 103852.png

Edited by benchthis
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Furter would have been better.

Frank Furter.

These jokes are the wurst.

I dunno...maybe we are on to something here with these kinds of names.  Could be the new fad  "shiny" for SL.   Of course, if we go to names like Alpha Blending, I think we may have gone a bit too far.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Is he a Sex Pistols fan? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Nightingale

I think they should send the Moles back to building and have the Sausages moderate the forum.

This thread has been locked by Porky Sausage :P

Oh yes. 😉 very much so. It is still a madly expensive thing to buy since he isn't much in SL any more.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Juan Marques said:

you'll get a sign if it's taken

it's also safe to try, it's not defenitive before hitting the buy button at the last step.

He does not have to pay first? Hmm, that isn't so bad as I thought.

So create* a basic account, go to name change, try to see if the name he want is taken - you get ok, and then pay?

* he would not change his two other accounts with heritage names, so a new one it is.

I could bully him to upload textures for me, and just send them over when he has uploaded them. Hmm, how many textures could I make in a month? Making normal and specular maps for all my older full perm textures... making seamless textures, as many as I can... raid all frepik and other free texture resources. What a work that would be.

37 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

So create* a basic account, go to name change, try to see if the name he want is taken - you get ok, and then pay?

Yes. You get a final confirmation page of the changes after choosing your name, before being taken to the payment page.

17 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I misread your name as something different..my grandpa used to say, "___ fire and save matches"!

LOL! I also received a lot of compliments in-world concerning the WW2 fighter planes of that name, and for a time I had a few "My Little Pony" avatars referencing the character of the same name from that franchise. :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.