Why is PIOF for parcel/region entry a thing?

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, colleen Criss said:

I thought that came about as an age check thingy.

That was the must be 18+  I believe which I think came about when the teen grid was shut down and them moved to the main grid..

It's been awhile though.. I think the PIOF was earlier..  But then again back then is all wishy washy to me for the most part.. hehehe

• Like 2

6 hours ago, colleen Criss said:

I thought that came about as an age check thingy.

I was hoping somebody would volunteer what I think I remember, but I'm drawing a blank on where to find documentation of this:

If I recall correctly, land access based on PIOF was possible some time before "age verification".

I do remember a brief interval when it was possible to restrict parcel access to age-verified only (the 18+ checkbox that's still on the Access tab) before there even were Adult rated regions, but my fuzzy recollection is that PIOF was around before that.

FWIW, that wiki list of llGetParcelFlags constants I mentioned above also got the similarly unassigned PF_DENY_AGEUNVERIFIED "find if a parcel prevent residents who aren't age-verified" added in the same edit as the _IDENTIFIED and _TRANSACTED flags were red-lined. It may or may not be significant that the AGEUNVERIFIED pseudo-flag was listed with the value 0x80000000 — with several other flags of intermediate values including a couple voice switches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I have an adult application that requires 30 days, PIOF and PIU to gain access.

My lobby, though, only has a 18+ restriction which allows noobs/alts to at least enter and see the wares I offer and get a notecard that explains the service in case they want to come back later with their paid account. It also allows them to click my ad boards.

The reason for the 30 days, PIOF and PIU restrictions for actual access to the service is not only to deter grief, but to deter fraud.

Prior to running my own adult service, I dealt with Linden Assessments doing AFK for 3 years with an alt in places that had no access restrictions.

In the almost 4 years I've run my own adult service with the restrictions above, I've yet to incur a single Linden Assessment.

A Linden Assessment is money debited from your account due to someone previously paying you with fraudulently obtained money.

Will it deter ALL grief/fraud? No. Is any setup perfect? No.

This sounds like a legitimate reason to use/need PIOF.  

Me just continuing on the subject, not directed to Lucia:  Other reasons could include they are an exclusive club such as "Frank's Jazz" was a kind of exclusive club in SL.  You had to pay X-amount of lindens and wait to be accepted in.  I don't know if Frank's even used PIOF or not.  

The problem I'm having with it is - bots.  It's one of the main tools we have to fight any and all future bot invasions, and that's not good.  It can create problems when the landowner doesn't know what else to do.  

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I was hoping somebody would volunteer what I think I remember, but I'm drawing a blank on where to find documentation of this:

If I recall correctly, land access based on PIOF was possible some time before "age verification".

I do remember a brief interval when it was possible to restrict parcel access to age-verified only (the 18+ checkbox that's still on the Access tab) before there even were Adult rated regions, but my fuzzy recollection is that PIOF was around before that.

FWIW, that wiki list of llGetParcelFlags constants I mentioned above also got the similarly unassigned PF_DENY_AGEUNVERIFIED "find if a parcel prevent residents who aren't age-verified" added in the same edit as the _IDENTIFIED and _TRANSACTED flags were red-lined. It may or may not be significant that the AGEUNVERIFIED pseudo-flag was listed with the value 0x80000000 — with several other flags of intermediate values including a couple voice switches.

If there was an 18+ before the adult  sims, it was probably put there to get ready for them coming I would think.. Because you had to be 18+ to be in second life main grid anyways, I believe..

• Like 1

PIOF (2006) existed long before LL decided they needed to do age verification (May 2007) prior to changing the region ratings to what we have now.

PIOF (2006): https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Version_1.10.5

Age verification (2007): https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Age_verification

Region rating changes took place in 2009: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/History/Adult_content

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If there was an 18+ before the adult  sims, it was probably put there to get ready for them coming I would think.. Because you had to be 18+ to be in second life main grid anyways, I believe..

Oh, yeah it absolutely was part of the Adult Content policy transition. And I remember testing it on a Moderate region, or whatever that rating was called back then… "Mature" maybe?

The access restriction was based on whether the avatar had age-verified, back when that was a whole crazy process run by Aristotle/Integrity. (Bet they learned a lot from their SL experience.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Oh, yeah it absolutely was part of the Adult Content policy transition. And I remember testing it on a Moderate region, or whatever that rating was called back then… "Mature" maybe?

The access restriction was based on whether the avatar had age-verified, back when that was a whole crazy process run by Aristotle/Integrity. (Bet they learned a lot from their SL experience.)

It's all there under the third link I posted above.

Region Ratings

Previously there were only two ratings for map regions on the SL Main Grid: PG and Mature, and they were open to anyone to visit. Now there is a new category, Adult, which only "verified" accounts with the right settings activated can visit.

After 15 Sep 2009, publicly promoted Adult Content is supposed to be stored either on Regions on the newly built Zindra mainland "continent" or on private Regions having the Adult Region rating. Estate owners can set their region ratings as they choose, and it is expected they will change or create adult rated regions according to the demand for it.

As of 1 Nov 2009, 1325 private regions were rated Adult, and 348 mainlaind regions (mostly Zindra). Together they represent 5.69% of the 29,409 region total grid area [4]

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2023 at 2:39 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It is, by definition, classist...

Punish people for what they do, not for the fact that they belong to the same class as people you don't trust.

Hmmm, using the same criteria, isn't it fair to say that it is classist to discriminate against those who choose to use PIOF?  *quickly runs out of here*

• Haha 1

I have one alt that is No payment info on file..

I have to admit, I've caught my other alts with payment info, really give her a hard time..

She's always like, what are you guys talking about over there?  They're always like, It was just something we all heard from a party the other night..

Then they'll be like Geeze, She is sooo nosey!  And then she'll be like, Hey can I join you guys over there.. They'll be like, don't you have work to do? Those floors aren't going to mop themselves..

Then I'll finally have enough of it and be like, Girls Girls!! Can't you all see I'm trying to do my hair!!

Now You all Shhhh, before i just revert you all back to defaults and clean all your inventories!

Freaking alts, can't live with them and can't really hide without them..

:P

hehehehe

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I have one alt that is No payment info on file..

I have to admit, I've caught my other alts with payment info, really give her a hard time..

She's always like, what are you guys talking about over there?  They're always like, It was just something we all heard from a party the other night..

Then they'll be like Geeze, She is sooo nosey!  And then she'll be like, Hey can I join you guys over there.. They'll be like, don't you have work to do? Those floors aren't going to mop themselves..

Then I'll finally have enough of it and be like, Girls Girls!! Can't you all see I'm trying to do my hair!!

Now You all Shhhh, before i just revert you all back to defaults and clean all your inventories!

Freaking alts, can't live with them and can't really hide without them..

:P

hehehehe

For some strange reason this story reminds me of Cinderella, starring Ceka as the evil step-mother.

5ce1a20f265fb724f37666f3a05eb68d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I use it on my RP sim one it deters bots two i have a few stalkers who know my SL account and will purposely cause problems on my sim so payment info on file works as well my security orb. it just makes it easier to handle the problem rather than deal with it. Not to mention estate banning lists only go up to 500 people max. I don't want drama on my sim to disrupt it. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.