Missing local chat ....

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK this is a weird one. 

My partner and I were both on SL. We're sat side by side on different physical computers, on the same wired network, in SL, chatting with a mutual friend.

At one point, a handful of lines my partner typed just didn't appear on my screen, although everything was received by out friend.

Before I write up a bug report or go down a rabbit hole trying to unpick this .. anyone else had this happen?

• Like 1

I noticed something similar a few times when sitting on a part of a large object extending from one region to another region that is not active, from the unactive region perspective you can scream via typing in chat but no one will hear you unless you are physically in the same region. I've been trolled before where even though It appeared I was typing no one could see my typing, so physically moving the avater out of a region without actually doing it causes this chat limbo. Not sure how that is done. I've noticed my personal chat enteries being out of order before. for example I would say hello and then goodbye. The goodbye would show up first in chat and then hello. 

I have never been in Coffee's situation... two puters side by side. In my case, if someone typed and I did not see it, how would I know they even typed?

Dunno about regions that are not active. Chat ranges extend across region boundaries for active regions. Some of my scripts depend on this.

About chat being out of order, this is absolutely possible. In fact, scripters should never assume that they receive chat messages in the order they are sent.

The situation of two puters on the same network chatting on Second Life is topologically the same as any two puters anywhere in the world in that they both go through a chat server. I speculate that you were experiencing extreme lag or message loss, both of which I have experienced on numerous occasions.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

OK this is a weird one. 

My partner and I were both on SL. We're sat side by side on different physical computers, on the same wired network, in SL, chatting with a mutual friend.

At one point, a handful of lines my partner typed just didn't appear on my screen, although everything was received by out friend.

Before I write up a bug report or go down a rabbit hole trying to unpick this .. anyone else had this happen?

I haven't heard of it happening in over 10 years now. As I recall it's a router/routing (not modem) issue.

9 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Over the past days Ive seen this happen with online and offline IMs alike, the messages appearing minutes to half an hour later. And with Marketplace orders being logged on the transaction history list and delivered hour after they were issued. My guess it's related to the recent database outage event and its (alleged) fix.

something like this happened to me on Friday evening. Me and my friends were invited to a wedding and we stood almost exactly in the same place. They could read the whole local chat while I missed a lot of it. I didn't even know I was missing it, I thought the whole event happened on voice and that was the reason the chat was silent, until my friends actually told me that it wasn't. I was really surprised because, as I mentioned, we were standing the whole time in the same place so there was no way they could have been much closer to the people talking. I don't remember this happening to me before, unless it happened but I was not aware.

18 minutes ago, Saskia Rieko said:

something like this happened to me on Friday evening. Me and my friends were invited to a wedding and we stood almost exactly in the same place. They could read the whole local chat while I missed a lot of it. I didn't even know I was missing it, I thought the whole event happened on voice and that was the reason the chat was silent, until my friends actually told me that it wasn't. I was really surprised because, as I mentioned, we were standing the whole time in the same place so there was no way they could have been much closer to the people talking. I don't remember this happening to me before, unless it happened but I was not aware.

This exact scenario happened to me as well but it happened in June of 2022. Hasn't happened since as far as I know.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 1

We had this happen too on Saturday I think..me, hubby and a friend we're at our house in RL together. Friend brought their own laptop of course, hubby used his and I was on my desktop. And we met online on SL with some old college friends in SL, everyone chatting like a storm. And since their side (4 people) and we (3 people) were all together physically in RL it was easy to notice lol some of either group lost messages, no pattern and the people that couldn't read all messages were not always the same, so everyone was missing some lines at some point x3 but at least we could read on the other screens and later switched to voice 🤣

17 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I have never been in Coffee's situation... two puters side by side. In my case, if someone typed and I did not see it, how would I know they even typed?

It's very rare my partner comes on SL so just struck me as odd that it might happen at that exact moment. I very much doubt it's my network here .. it is somewhat over engineered (why yes, I do have a rack in my living room)

You're right .. normally no one would ever know if local got lost, which has me wondering if I need to script something to check if the local I see always matches what the server sees.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.