A Positive Brainstorming / Suggestion Box Thread - Ideas for Improving Second Life Sociability, Usability and Retention

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Zalificent said:

I didn't say "web search" I said specifically "Destination Guide" as in the floater that opens when you click the destination guide button on the tool bar, don't shift the goal posts.

And it was about 2 yrs ago.

The Destination Guide is also found when you simply open Search which is also on the toolbar and I'm fairly sure is just as easily found and used by new people.  Goal posts didn't shift.  There's just a set on both sides of the field.  

I'd also like to remind everyone that perhaps we.should stay on topic and only Positive Brainstorming and less condescension.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A community driven broadcast channel, like PBS,  called SLBS?   Does anything like that exist in SL already? I wonder if there would even be enough interest in putting together such a streaming channel in today's day and age, and if people would use it.

I'm just goofing around, but it would be kind of neat to see entire SL machinima created by our fellow residents, perhaps some virtual cooking shows, SL got talent, Sleapordy!, Wheel of Fortune, local news, Home Repair, decorating channels, cops, etc.  There could even be live sets, with an audience 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

A community driven broadcast channel, like PBS,  called SLBS?   Does anything like that exist in SL already? I wonder if there would even be enough interest in putting together such a streaming channel in today's day and age, and if people would use it.

I'm just goofing around, but it would be kind of neat to see entire SL machinima created by our fellow residents, perhaps some virtual cooking shows, SL got talent, Sleapordy!, Wheel of Fortune, local news, Home Repair, decorating channels, cops, etc.  There could even be live sets, with an audience 🤣

SLBS idea, Sitcom/Game Show: "GACHA!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd also like to remind everyone that perhaps we.should stay on topic and only Positive Brainstorming and less condescension.  

Thank you, I try every few pages to remind people when things get negative.

We did not get here from "It will never work!"

Second Life is built on a "YOU can do it!" attitude.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya, I can kind of see it happening now for like a room where people are used to coming to chat.. It sure happens a lot in product groups in SL.. Rather than announcements or someone needing help is product groups.. now it's groupies just popping the groups to say hi and hang out..

I had to kick off a lot of my group chats because of groups popping up with people just saying hi or doing any other random unrelated to the group things..

So ya,I guess a hangout is a hangout hehehehe

Yeah, offline chat quickly becomes a hangout full of regulars. Much smaller group than the one that shows up for live events, it's cozy, mods hang out too so it stays very chill, very few if any trolls, etc. Many users also tend to use platforms like that on their phones, so lots of chatting while at work, etc.

If our group chats in SL could handle that type of volume and speed without exploding, that might help things along a bit. And you're right - I'm always seeing regular banter in store groups. It's that same kind of behavior. I'm even getting to know who the regulars are now in some of them, lol. The UI's not great, though. Definitely could use some love there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Like an in-world TV channel? OMG that'd be amazing (and probably very difficult to pull off) but I'd love this, lol!

• Thanks 1

I am not sure people can be educated as old people as us could. I grew up with books. I still pack a book in my bag and read on the bus, instad of looking at a small screen. I read fast. I can still try to figure out some things, or ask for help. I can read the wiki. Many see a wall of text. They can't keep the concentration for more than a few minutes.

So perhaps, the introduction to SL has to be dumbed down. Big blinking buttons. Not that they have to read and understand what it stands for. It is no curiosity in so many people. Everything has to be as easy as possible, until they want to stay on their own.

Perhaps then the curiosity comes. The wish to explore. Find out more than the basics. Most will still want it as easy as possible.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Like an in-world TV channel? OMG that'd be amazing (and probably very difficult to pull off) but I'd love this, lol!

It would have to be better than the individual efforts out there to get views. Curated.

I imagine something like Weird Al's "UHF" movie.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I am not sure people can be educated as old people as us could. I grew up with books. I still pack a book in my bag and read on the bus, instad of looking at a small screen. I read fast. I can still try to figure out some things, or ask for help. I can read the wiki. Many see a wall of text. They can't keep the concentration for more than a few minutes.

So perhaps, the introduction to SL has to be dumbed down. Big blinking buttons. Not that they have to read and understand what it stands for. It is no curiosity in so many people. Everything has to be as easy as possible, until they want to stay on their own.

Perhaps then the curiosity comes. The wish to explore. Find out more than the basics. Most will still want it as easy as possible.

I for one, am part of the first Sesame Street generation - when it was first broadcast.  Not admitting that I learned anything, but it "worked" for me; I was entertained.

Maybe we need to keep any such SL programming at the "Sesame Street" level of education..? Look how populate Teletubbies was with "so-called adults".

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It would have to be better than the individual efforts out there to get views. Curated.

I'm trying to figure out if this is even possible. You'd have to pre-record and then have an agreed upon channel to put it on - maybe on YouTube it could work, with a few people managing the channel, uploading the content, etc, and we'd just tune in with our TVs and watch the shows/episodes? But it'd still take so many people to coordinate it all. Would be a lot of fun, though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yeah, offline chat quickly becomes a hangout full of regulars. Much smaller group than the one that shows up for live events, it's cozy, mods hang out too so it stays very chill, very few if any trolls, etc. Many users also tend to use platforms like that on their phones, so lots of chatting while at work, etc.

If our group chats in SL could handle that type of volume and speed without exploding, that might help things along a bit. And you're right - I'm always seeing regular banter in store groups. It's that same kind of behavior. I'm even getting to know who the regulars are now in some of them, lol. The UI's not great, though. Definitely could use some love there.

hehehehe Group chat can't handle a saturday half the time..  It's luck of the draw in some channels that have a zillion members, that when you type something, it doesn't time out..

Some just make a new group because the old one became so full that chat became almost useless.. hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm trying to figure out if this is even possible. You'd have to pre-record and then have an agreed upon channel to put it on - maybe on YouTube it could work, with a few people managing the channel, uploading the content, etc, and we'd just tune in with our TVs and watch the shows/episodes? But it'd still take so many people to coordinate it all. Would be a lot of fun, though.

It would be extra fun if it landed as a channel on pluto.tv - we gotta aim for the stars here to get more residents. (I realize how unrealistic that is, but it would be pretty cool)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

hehehehe Group chat can't handle a saturday half the time..  It's luck of the draw in some channels that have a zillion members, that when you type something, it doesn't time out..

Some just make a new group because the old one because so full that chat became almost useless.. hehehehe

I remember back when the Chamber was popular,.they had a regular group that you had to have for access and a second group just for chat.  I know that eats up group slots but it would be a nice idea for some popular chatty groups.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

It would be extra fun if it landed as a channel on pluto.tv - we gotta aim for the stars here to get more residents. (I realize how unrealistic that is, but it would be pretty cool)

Lol the possibilities are endless. I saw someone do this with Minecraft - had a whole news program and it was actually quite funny. That definitely is a good way to get a bunch of residents together on a project that doesn't require going back to college, though. Well, minus the video editing part, but many people already have skills in that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It reminds me of the "cooking" / "spells" stuff. Ok, not sure I ever saw "cooking" in SL, but definitely saw "spells" where you had to mix different items / ingredients to achieve a result.

I will have to look for that sounds interesting!

Bring back Starax's wand that was one of the most amazing things that made me fall in love with using SL!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I remember back when the Chamber was popular,.they had a regular group that you had to have for access and a second group just for chat.  I know that eats up group slots but it would be a nice idea for some popular chatty groups.

Ya, there were a lot of places did that.. They wouldn't even let you chat in the product group..

Now there is so much chat in product chats, that it's not uncommon to see a lot of people making oopsies and accidentally posting something meant for a different chat.. hehehe

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zalificent said:

NO!

Pay attention. THERE IS NO OFFICIAL LIST OF "REGISTERED DESTINATIONS"!

I'm sorry I thought I attached this list of registered distinations earlier? I thought remember reading about how to be added to this list via registering somehow. Never did it but this is the resource I think should be shoved in all new users faces as much as possible. 

https://secondlife.com/destinations?_gl=1*or0lfo*_ga*MjE0MjQxOTY5NC4xNjc2NTA4MjY3*_ga_T7G7P6DCEC*MTY3NjUwODI2Ny4xLjEuMTY3NjUwODkzMC42MC4wLjA.*_fplc*VUFna1h0bzVMbXlvVERETUtvUE0zUlp0eVBHciUyRlVGYXFtYmdyY3puZ3hHSEZENzNWJTJCWWx6dDRoeEJiVFViMHhRYXlTYWl3UEhocTROSGhrZXRPdVNrMVQlMkZBT0NhcjVLUkpldmpDMkl0cU5CUzhzQkNKJTJGR0prZGw5dCUyRjRvQSUzRCUzRA..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:
5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Expand  

I for one, am part of the first Sesame Street generation - when it was first broadcast.  Not admitting that I learned anything, but it "worked" for me; I was entertained.

Maybe we need to keep any such SL programming at the "Sesame Street" level of education..? Look how populate Teletubbies was with "so-called adults".

I'd watch the that. SL version would look like this. "Hello kids, today we are going to learn how to dig large holes."

Annotation 2023-02-15 194439.png

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:
5 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

So now lemme explain why I just said that, just to keep things productive. Um, yesterday on Twitch, I saw someone with half of SL's entire population watching him sleep on cam. I'm not even joking. I peeked - he's literally just zzzzzzzzz.

😳

I have never in my life ever been that bored. I hope, if I ever do become that bored, I get a free ride into space.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Istelathis said:

SL got talent

Dinkies have "Dinkies Got Talent" show but as far as I know it's once a year.  No seats for biggies, sorry.   lol  It's all small avatar seating.  It was very adorable.  One of our tiny singers won for her performance of "Rocketman".  It's a good idea for humans too.  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.