Sorry. This is not OK. B bots profile scraping.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Personally I'm not really taking a position on the privacy issue, but I have to say that if the site really is supposed to do what it purports to do, then it does it so badly that if they are not lying about its actual purpose then they are profoundly stupid.

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm just starting through this thread, so maybe these questions are answered already.

How the hell do they get the stuff that only Friends can see? 

How the hell do they get my Premium status?

If you're basing the first question on the web Based profiles - those are no longer in use in the official Viewer and were only an optional bit for many TPVs. Consider any settings on the Web based profiles to be null.

Premium Status - like your Online Status and other bits - is script callable by litterally anyone.

Edited by Solar Legion

Has it occurred to anyone that because they are using bots, they do not need to use script to gather data, nor is their data collection limited to that which a script can see.

They are using a bot - that is the same as using a viewer.

They have everything.

Right down to the texture UUID of your skin.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:
7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

so LL sort of has a responsibility here, I think.

To do what, though?

The only way to prevent this sort of thing would be allow people to make themselves totally invisible to everyone else in the region with them.

Except that a Bot should not be able to see any aspect of my profile that any other non-Friend SL user can see.  And the Bot definitely should not be able to see whether or not I am Premium or Premium Plus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

If you're basing the first question on the web Based profiles - those are no longer in use in the official Viewer and were only an optional bit for many TPVs. Consider any settings on the Web based profiles to be null.

Premium Status - like your Online Status and other bits - is script callable by litterally anyone.

First question -- I totally forgot that the 'Nobody/Friend/etc...' profile settings were for the web only thing.  I shouldn't have forgotten because I use Firestorm and know that I can see all aspects of profiles because Firestorm uses the Legacy profile view.

Second part -- I knew that scripts could get my online status and see if I had Payment Info on File or Payment Info Used.  I did not know that the scripts also can get my membership type.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

First question -- I totally forgot that the 'Nobody/Friend/etc...' profile settings were for the web only thing.  I shouldn't have forgotten because I use Firestorm and know that I can see all aspects of profiles because Firestorm uses the Legacy profile view.

Second part -- I knew that scripts could get my online status and see if I had Payment Info on File or Payment Info Used.  I did not know that the scripts also can get my membership type.

Yeah, that call was recently added in and was actually linked to a few times now.

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Please help me understand - are they downloading the images, saving them, and placing the images on their own site, or are they re-downloading from LL each time their website is displayed?

Neither. The images seen on their website are directly linked to our profile URIs. If you mouse-over the picture it shows you a path for a virtual world protocol to open a profile (i.e. clicking on it prompts you to run your viewer of choice). 

All they've done is make a browser-based interface able to translate it directly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a lot of "missing the point" going on here.

1) That something is possible, or permitted by the ToS, does not make it desirable or ethical. And LL has changed its ToS before, and taken action against things that were permitted when they were seen as threats. RZ is an example.

2) There is a difference between data, aggregate data, and big data. I can collect a whole bunch of isolated first and last names that are essentially useless, but when I start pairing the former with the latter, I've got real information. Similarly, a phone number is an aggregate of 10 harmless numbers -- until they are assembled in a meaningful sequence. Someone posting my profile publicly is probably not much of a threat to anyone, including me. Posting my profile along with 10s of thousands of others? That's a very different thing.

3) LL may not "have" to do anything about this, but if it starts spooking people, or if there is enough noise, or if there is reasonable evidence that the data can be put to uses that harm SL's attractiveness, then they likely should, and possibly would take action. As they did with RZ.

ALL of the "calm down," or "it's allowed!" or "it's all public info anyway!" arguments being made here were made, incessantly, by defenders of RZ. LL recognized, eventually, that there was a threat, and they did take action, largely because of the clamour made here on the forums and elsewhere.

I am not yet convinced that BBB does represent a real threat. But I'm also not going to complacently shrug it off just because I'm pretty sure it doesn't directly threaten me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

@Scylla RhiadraThere are differences between this and the entire RZ fiasco. The implication you've made is not a welcome one by any means.

Linden Lab reacted when it became clear that there was far more going on with that situation and that it was being run by someone who was not supposed to be anywhere near a computer (convicted, malicious hacker).

Unless/until the operator of this system is shown to be such ... not much outside of debating morals/ethics can be done.

I'm personally not here to do either.

Edited by Solar Legion

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

but if it starts spooking people,

According to the TOS one is not allowed to alarm others under harassment, nor have repeated transmissions of undesirable content.  Do these apply as do nots against the residents of SL? (copy/paste is the community standards part of the TOS)  For repeated transmissions of undesirable content, scroll down towards DISTURBING THE PEACE and then under the words disturbing the peace it will say the above.

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/community-standards

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Solar Legion said:

@Scylla RhiadraThere are differences between this and the entire RZ fiasco. The implication you've made is not a welcome one by any means.

Of course there are. Which is why I said that I'm not yet convinced this poses a threat.

But there is potential here. And I think it merits some attention, and not a shrug. Because that IS how RZ started: with complacency. 

• Like 1

Just now, EliseAnne85 said:

According to the TOS one is not allowed to alarm others under harassment, nor have repeated transmissions of undesirable content.  Do these apply as do nots against the residents of SL? (copy/paste is the community standards part of the TOS)

Thing to remember too though, LL can not control what's posted to a 3rd party website,  but LL is contact with the sites owner and making sure things are going the way they need too according to what keira posted.   So we just have to rely on what LL is doing and working on with the owner at this point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EliseAnne85 said:

According to the TOS one is not allowed to alarm others under harassment, nor have repeated transmissions of undesirable content.  Do these apply as do nots against the residents of SL? (copy/paste is the community standards part of the TOS)

If, "I feel attacked!11!!1!!!"

As in, I FEEL "harassed"..

Is that the SAME as "being harassed"? 

I don't think so.

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There's a lot of "missing the point" going on here.

1) That something is possible, or permitted by the ToS, does not make it desirable or ethical. And LL has changed its ToS before, and taken action against things that were permitted when they were seen as threats. RZ is an example.

2) There is a difference between data, aggregate data, and big data. I can collect a whole bunch of isolated first and last names that are essentially useless, but when I start pairing the former with the latter, I've got real information. Similarly, a phone number is an aggregate of 10 harmless numbers -- until they are assembled in a meaningful sequence. Someone posting my profile publicly is probably not much of a threat to anyone, including me. Posting my profile along with 10s of thousands of others? That's a very different thing.

3) LL may not "have" to do anything about this, but if it starts spooking people, or if there is enough noise, or if there is reasonable evidence that the data can be put to uses that harm SL's attractiveness, then they likely should, and possibly would take action. As they did with RZ.

ALL of the "calm down," or "it's allowed!" or "it's all public info anyway!" arguments being made here were made, incessantly, by defenders of RZ. LL recognized, eventually, that there was a threat, and they did take action, largely because of the clamour made here on the forums and elsewhere.

I am not yet convinced that BBB does represent a real threat. But I'm also not going to complacently shrug it off just because I'm pretty sure it doesn't directly threaten me.

The only ones I remember Defending RZ was the ones using it.. hehehe

If they only knew what that guy had planned for them.. I remember seeing some of the videos that guy had in his library once we found out who he really was.. It was a lot worse than us getting our alts linked, that for sure..

That guy was scary..

• Like 2

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Of course there are. Which is why I said that I'm not yet convinced this poses a threat.

But there is potential here. And I think it merits some attention, and not a shrug. Because that IS how RZ started: with complacency. 

I'd much rather go by what is known than by what-ifs - at least in cases such as this.

1 minute ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

but LL is contact with the sites owner and making sure things are going the way they need too according to what keira posted.   So we just have to rely on what LL is doing and working on with the owner at this point.  

Missed it! One of the problem with big threads. And I TRY to follow all the Lindens.

2 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I don't know how LL would apply that here. But IF there are indications that the public accessibility of this mass of data is constraining people or impacting upon their use of the platform, LL should, and likely will, take action.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.