Anyone seeing objects missing?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/20/2022 at 5:43 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

There wasn't actually a bug report filed for this, so I filed one: BUG-233107 - Objects failing to render is happening more frequently of late

Thanks. I update that with a screenshot.

I've been able to reproduce this frequently, at Hyperion and Cretopia. Teleport in near 0,0,30 to either of those regions and look diagonally across the region with a long draw distance. At Hyperion, the same specific wall panels in the big GT building disappear somewhat consistently.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at this problem too much lately, because it hits my experimental viewer hard. For test purposes, I just get the interest list once and then look at what the sim told the viewer. Usually, you'd be moving the avatar or viewpoint around, which forces an interest list update and brings in some or all of the missing objects. (Technical details at BUG-233107). Some stuff  doesn't show up until you move around a bit.

The effect for most users is that the missing object bug looks like "lag".

It's not, though. Waiting won't help. Different problem.

• Like 2

I have discovered that in about 75-85% of the time, for me, the scrolling back a HUGE distance and then coming back in will work to display the objects.  I have to scroll so far out that wherever I'm at is not really even visible anymore.  And a small bit of the time, it still doesn't work and I have to TP out to another region and come back.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have discovered that in about 75-85% of the time, for me, the scrolling back a HUGE distance and then coming back in will work to display the objects. 

Yes, that too moves the viewpoint and forces an interest list update.

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

TP out to another region and come back.

Turning it off and turning it back on works, too.

It's not just draw distance. There seems to be some optimization sim side which looks at object distance, object size, and object motion, and decides if it really has to tell the viewer about each object. It's sometimes very wrong.

It has nothing to do with textures or meshes. I've had this repeatedly fail on a prim sphere with the default wood texture.

BUG-233107 is currently stuck at "needs more info", so keep posting here and on the JIRA, please.

• Like 1

I have had this problem for years with my relatively slow internet. At the end of Nov my internet moved into modern age with 10 times the speed previously that has solved the problem. What I have noticed though that might be related is that whenever I upload a new texture it will display blurry in my inventory and on objects until I relog.

3 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

What I have noticed though that might be related is that whenever I upload a new texture it will display blurry in my inventory and on objects until I relog.

Separate problem. Texture resolution is between the viewer and the content servers. The sim servers have no role there. Recent fixes to the viewer's texture loading order should improve that.

4 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I have had this problem for years with my relatively slow internet. At the end of Nov my internet moved into modern age with 10 times the speed previously that has solved the problem.

Now that's interesting. There's some kind of throttling system server side to prevent the sim server from overloading the UDP data path and the viewer with object updates when you enter an area. This suggests the throttling system may be part of the problem.

Well, I had the not unusual problem of a building not appearing this morning -- a relog fixed it.

But here's a new one for me, which might be the viewer rather than the platform: in Black Dragon, the BOM alpha layers for my outfit were not working. I detached and re-attached, and they still did literally nothing.

Eventually I changed outfits, and then went back to the one that was giving me trouble, and it did work the second time. But I've never seen this before.

I haven't noticed this often while using Alchemy, which I believe is a bit more dated than the viewers you all may be using at this time.  It does happen from time to time, where sections of road are missing, but that has always happened if I am moving too fast.  The physics are still there as I easily drive over the missing sections, but it looks as though I am floating over land.

I'm not sure how physics work in SL, that is, if it is client side or on the server, if you were to go to the objects that are missing are you able to pass through them?

Edited by Istelathis

22 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

if you were to go to the objects that are missing are you able to pass through them?

No, they're still impenetrable. I've tried. Collision is server side, and the server side data is OK. It's communicating that data to the viewers that seems to be broken.

The sim servers know where all the things are in in their sim. They tell the viewers about the things. The sim servers only tell the viewers about the things the sims think the viewers need to know about right now. Something is wrong with that part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, animats said:

Really bad day in Woodcrest. Moving around did not help.  Had to relog. Firestorm 6.6.3.

I see what is happening here, if you look a little closer, I think LL has unleashed the Langoliers into this region.  

lang.thumb.png.a27b32efe534d3adc51c5e5c11ff7750.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

bruissacmissing.thumb.png.d0d7a25a5ef768c7471227ccced27c3e.png

The dockside shops in Bruissac are missing. But the rent boxes on their roofs are still showing.

Moving around did not help.  Firestorm 6.6.3.

In both cases, it was after a login or teleport. After the failure at Bruissac, I did the Drivers of SL drive, and nothing was missing. One teleport followed by many region crossings.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting.

Tried visiting "Catwa Clip" region using LM provided in BUG-233107.

NONE of the building rendered. Some road segments also did not render. Waiting did not help. Zooming out then back in did not help.

However, I could see all buildings on the neighboring "Catwa Store" region just fine.

I am on Kokua 6.6.8.53435 btw.

Edit: Cleared cache + relog and now all assets load.

Edit2: Afterwards went directly to Hyperion. GT Building loaded okay.

Edit3: Tried going to Bruissac. Also no problems.

Edited by primerib1

• 9 months later...

image.png.5fb337fec958ebdf68b743ea840bc601.png

Yes, this thread is almost a year old - and YES it really is worth bumping the thread --- mostly because it has been a year and the issue is still here.

As we head into the holiday season, which will not only bring lots of sales events, but also the Advent Calendars.  However, it is really difficult to shop when lots of items at the events do not even rez.

Below is what I saw at a sales event this morning - after standing here a full 5 minutes.  My graphics settings were already reduced and I clicked the button to derender avatars - and then I finally even bumped my LOD up (just in case of bad mesh issues).  I went into Wireframe and back.  Scrolled way out and back in.  No change.  Below is what it looked like up close, even though one might think it was simply due to scrollilng out.

After TPing Home and back, twice, all of the booths and items have finally decided to rez.  As I mentioned in another thread, the biggest issue with the no-rezzing problem is that in some places, you do not even realize you have items missing.

20231119-SaleEvent_001.thumb.jpg.eb0f775a146c705845056f1b564be9e6.jpg  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is highly annoying, but it has always resolved for me by logging out and then logging back in at "Last Location".

Yes, but that is a total PITA -- especially with large inventories that make the relog take longer.

4 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

EDIT AWAY: Ah rats... I got lured by a necro post...

I intentionally resurrected the thread because it is still a BIG ISSUE that happens a lot.  I think LL needs to give it more attention.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.