Sorely Limited ISP Selection

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As long as it's stable and there's no really big packet loss even 2-3mbps is enough. New/not cached places and avatars will rezz much slower, of course, but it'll be fine. Few years ago some building works completely destroyed a number of fiber cables in my city, so until they did clean up the mess and managed to restore it I had to use absolutely terrible mobile connection (I don't really use internet on the phone, so not paying more for the higher speed). It's around 1.5 down/0.5 up, has a packet loss (especially during evenings) and SL still was "okay" on it. Didn't even got disconnected once not counting usual TP disconnects.

• Thanks 1

I learned it also depends on your inventory size lol back when I still was on my laptop, and our ISP had struggles or was updating stuff, we went down to like 100mb ...from 1gb that we usually have. My husband and my daughter could log in fine. Mrs. 350k inventory? Not so much lol (⁠。⁠ノ⁠ω⁠\⁠。⁠)

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 2:36 AM, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Just signed a lease on an affordable apartment but the ONLY wired internet service runs at a lousy 50Mbps, which I know is awful for SL. What is the actual lowest speed I can connect with?

50 mega bits is 6.25 mega bytes. It's more than enough for internet connection, as long as you have wide bandwidth and low latency you will have zero worries.

• Like 1

Until I moved house last year I was on a 3Mbps down and 2Mps up ( in a rural location in the UK) and used SL successfully for 10 years on that speed.  The main thing I learnt was to stay away from busy hunts as they would take forever to load so I used to monitor the green dots on the map for each location to decide when to visit..

• Like 2

50 Mbps is enough to enjoy your SL comfy, as others already stated. More important is what is going on at the same time when you're on SL?
If there are more persons using the same connection at the same time or if the TV signal uses the same connection, that can influence performance.
Normally 50 Mbps should be sufficient for a 1 or 2 person household AND being moderate Internet users.

I personally would cable connect the computer used for SL. That means a lot less package loss and a bit less leg in packed places.

It needs a bit of trail and error to find out what is possible at the same time (streaming music, downloading a huge file, watching Netflix, watching TV), but when only running SL, you should be more than good with 50 Mbps even on WIFI connection.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Editting is a way of life.

I have 50 Mbps up and down on a direct wired fiber connection.  It is massive overkill for just SL.   Only time you want faster speed is for downloading movie and sound files, and that assumes the source doesn't limit their download speeds.  

I just TPed to a marketplace sim with many thousands of high resolution textures - a heavily loaded breeder marketplace using every last resource in their 30K private region.  These are the results, for all data, TCP and UDP and local LAN.  Note the download rate peaks around 11 Mbps for a few seconds. Data collection rate is every second on this graph:

e9841cc83d1fd25d3ed2c3cb2c77cbe9.png

And for my Home region with a few breedables and 2 avatars, I need about 180 kbps.  Turned on the radio stream and we need about 300 kbps.  So I could get by with a 0.5 Mbps connection if needed for SL, if I never went anywhere :)

43fb27a050d69625d789027e36aa49b4.png

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.