Reputation in the Forums

Ags Falconer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Thanks! (In a world where there are no reactions..)

I couldn't help but think of this guy 🤣

I personally have a love/hate thing going on for reactions, they feel lazy a lot of the time but I can be lazy a lot of the time.  They are great for the photo threads though, because people go there to look at the pictures and simply writing Like would become a bit of a nuisance.  If I like one photo though, then I feel bad for everyone else that posted a photo, so I will start giving likes to every photo I see posted on that page (sometimes the previous page as well)

@Ags FalconerTo achieve world domination a spot on the leaderboard, this might be the way to boost your reputation, post lots of pictures in the various picture threads.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not to mention how long those threads would get if everyone quoted all of the pictures just to say "Like".  I already get frustrated with the folks that feel the need to quote and comment on every single picture.

Are they commenting on all those pics to get reputation points such as a Thank you?  Hmm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Are they commenting on all those pics to get reputation points such as a Thank you?  Hmm

You don't pick up much reputation from "thank yous," I'd have thought?

I try to keep my comments down to a dull roar -- I maybe average one or two every couple of pages -- because I am sensitive to those who don't like comments burying the pics. (Although, honestly, that seems to be a battle that has been won by the chatterboxes -- the complaining about comments has almost disappeared.)

But I do think comments that single out particularly nice pics or avatars, especially in posts by newer contributors, are worthwhile. Everyone needs, and deserves, a bit of validation sometimes.

• Like 3

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I try to keep my comments down to a dull roar -- I maybe average one or two every couple of pages -- because I am sensitive to those who don't like comments burying the pics. (Although, honestly, that seems to be a battle that has been won by the chatterboxes -- the complaining about comments has almost disappeared.)

But I do think comments that single out particularly nice pics or avatars, especially in posts by newer contributors, are worthwhile. Everyone needs, and deserves, a bit of validation sometimes.

I meant the Thank You reaction button which does up your reputation.  One feels obliged to Thank someone who comments nicely on their picture.  I prefer to just react to other's pictures unless there is something specific I want to say or ask.   But, that's just me and how I use the picture threads.

I do agree that comments to newer poster are nice and encourage them to post more.   

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I like reading the comments, but it would maybe be nice if they would include a thumbnail of the original photo that links to the full-sized.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I do sometimes quote a picture that I really love and comment on it.

For those that do want to comment on every picture posted, I much prefer it when they use the Multi-quote function so that all of the quoted pictures are in a single comment box.  The forum software will show an abbreviated version of the comment window that doesn't fill the entire page and I can expand it if I want to read the comments. 

2 hours ago, Istelathis said:

If I like one photo though, then I feel bad for everyone else that posted a photo, so I will start giving likes to every photo I see posted on that page (sometimes the previous page as well)

I usually start in the threads wherever I left off before and I typically give a Like to just about every picture posted because I want the people to feel like their participation is appreciated.  There are certain "types" of photos that are not my cup of tea and I always just scroll past those without giving any reaction.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There are certain "types" of photos that are not my cup of tea and I always just scroll past those without giving any reaction.

I will confess to doing this as well. Fortunately, such images are pretty rare.

I have on occasion (very rarely, in fact) commented about pics that I think are inappropriate for those threads -- generally for reasons having to do with the representation of "adult activities." I absolutely believe there should be a place for them -- and, in fact, there now is -- but it is important that the pics there be SFW generally.

(That said, the nipple thing still steams me.)

• Like 5

On 10/24/2022 at 12:28 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

In one discussion awhile back, there was consensus that a good "true" measure of "reputation" is the ratio of "likes" (positive reactions) vs. "post".

If your # "Likes" is close to or more than your # Posts, that is supposedly "good".

This will happen if most of your posts are pictures. If you only post intelligent and helpful responses to questions posed by other members speaking advice, you will have a much lover like to post ratio. Is this the way it should be. Probably not. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

This will happen if most of your posts are pictures. If you only post intelligent and helpful responses to questions posed by other members speaking advice, you will have a much lover like to post ratio. Is this the way it should be. Probably not. 

I used to see this too, but lately, the people with the highest "likes" seem to post a combination of helpful posts AND pictures!

@Rowan Amoreis a great example.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 3:42 PM, Ags Falconer said:

I'm easing back into SL after a 9 year hiatis. And now I'm pondering my reputation. Naturally, Joan Jett's lyrical commentary (https://youtu.be/2RK9jjOLDHc) on the general topic sprang to mind.
But for me specifically, I'd love to hear your thoughts dear friends. Should I work toward a good reputation? Or a bad one? Or a bit of both?

reputation.png

Welcome back, Ags, I've missed you and the rest of the derailment crew. I went too, for a while, and I come and mostly go all the time now. The forums is a very different place to be, as you will see (or have seen - I'm catching up again, think I've been gone a few weeks or a month this time). Different bunch, different fun.

As to your question, should you go for having a good reputation, or a bad one, hmmm, I would say, go with the flow, be the you that you are, but I'm laughing because even good old green-loving tree-hugging Marigold has had a few pre-warning warnings! The moderation is a bit ... excessive at times. But it's not my garden and I've had to stop p1ssing in their pool. 

Have fun!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There are certain "types" of photos that are not my cup of tea and I always just scroll past those without giving any reaction.

I will try to click like to all of them, if I have liked at least one on the page.  There are some that I don't find appropriate, which I will pass by but usually they are all fine.  I actually start to feel guilty if I don't, which is pretty weird on my part.  I just imagine the person who wanted to be appreciated in some way being left behind, I get all weird about that for some reason. 

I tend to overthink the reactions in general, and it becomes a bit of a chore to give a reaction to posts, I imagine there are subtleties involved with them - plus sometimes there are parts of a post I like, and others I don't like. Despite how much easier it is to just leave a reaction, I miss when forums in general did not have reactions in them, because it was one less layer of social interaction for me to try to understand 🙃  My typical formula now is I try to give a like to people who respond to me, regardless if I agree with it or not, as a gesture of gratitude for their time.  I only use reactions as a gesture of good will, and not over use them in the forums outside of picture threads.

Anyway, that is way too much thinking on my part regarding the reaction system we find on so many social outlets.  With trying to keep with the flow of the OP and not derailing the thread so much, I wish them well on their quest to have the best reputation :D

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I actually start to feel guilty if I don't, which is pretty weird on my part.  I just imagine the person who wanted to be appreciated in some way being left behind, I get all weird about that for some reason.

Or . . . maybe it just means that you're a nice person!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 4:31 PM, SeattleChris said:

I've been telling myself things will start making sense for over half a century. If it suddenly happened in the Second Life forums... well, why not? Many times I feel when I'm not logged in that I'm just LARPing SL anyway.

Self-awareness doesn't seem all that difficult. Could be as easy as knowing the difference between a turtle and a tortoise.

I tend to avoid peeve threads unless to touch on them tangentially for the purposes of humor, lest it become less of a peeve thread and more of an existential trauma support group. (Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him Horatio.) Also, I have no slights to report. The last forum I frequented was an MMORPG forum. Y'all seem like adorable kittens filled with nothing but love for one another. Or something equally nice but less obsequious. At any rate, so far I've avoided torches and pitchforks, so no peeves to report.

I strongly suspect this is because you give off a very agreeable vibe and have something of a lilac/pink aura, or at least this is what I feel and see whenever you're around. 

• Like 2

On 10/25/2022 at 6:05 PM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Ohhhh, that thing. I always forget it exists since I'm only ever in my profile to change my avatar or somefin.

"Sashay away" is my preferred phrase. But my SL walks are usually fairly over-the-top, so that works in my case. 😂

Still wading through this thread.

Just in case this wasn't mentioned before.

For Ags' information.

https://community.secondlife.com/leaderboard

And another hidden thing that may be of interest:

https://community.secondlife.com/online

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I couldn't help but think of this guy 🤣

I personally have a love/hate thing going on for reactions, they feel lazy a lot of the time but I can be lazy a lot of the time.  

@Ags FalconerTo achieve world domination a spot on the leaderboard, this might be the way to boost your reputation, post lots of pictures in the various picture threads.  

+3 @Istelathis!!

1. The intro is awesome!!

2. Laziness has gotten a bad rap--most of humanity's tech stems from laziness in some form.

3. Reference to World Domination (pretty sure we had a topic posted on this back in the day ... must go look for it)

🤣

Edited by Ags Falconer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 10:46 AM, Maryanne Solo said:

😲
I WON'T even say this only once.... 🤭

HippieStockBig.jpg

Get a haircut and get a real job Ags!... lolgif62074390805.gif.99dea0980a7cb0628e1da6fe39616da2.gif

That probably really was the most fun - thanks Maddie for adding us all, it was such an amazing project to be part of. And didn't everyone have their own very unique look? I'm just trying to remember everyone's names - I did save the other screenshot that had everyone labelled, but it's saved to a USB in a different place to where I am right now. 

What's that saying ... "You had to be there" ... except some of us weren't actually.

Amazing. Just amazing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"adult activities."

Now looking for pics to post from this list:

• Paying the mortgage
  • Driving to work
  • Riding metro/subway to work
  • Getting prostate exam
  • Getting colonoscopy
  • Getting miffed because the last group did not tidy up the conference room before my meeting
  • Posting in the forums about my reputation in SL and the forums

To be continued

Edited by Ags Falconer
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

@Gabriele Graves has pointed out, somewhere above, one legitimate use for reactions on posts -- in that it provides an opportunity for people who don't post to still engage with the community here.

I've thought of another, as well.

Images posted on the picture threads routinely receive anywhere from about 10 to 30 "likes" each. I know that there are some people who think that getting that many "likes" for a picture is sort of cheating, or unfair -- but what it does do is really create a community of support.

I like that everyone, regardless of photographic skill or even avatar appearance, gets welcomed onto those threads with a flurry of congratulatory reactions. I think it makes those threads really lovely places to be.

I totally agree.

Whenever I've been away from the forums for a few days or weeks but get back in for a lengthy session, the first place I like to look is the How does your avatar look today thread and see what everyone has been up to. I see I missed the talk like a pirate day that a lot of people acknowledged in their photos on that thread. It did cheer me up. 

And that particular thread seems devoid of the knowledge of anyone's actual reputation, which makes it as neutral as Luxembourg.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ags Falconer said:

Now looking for pics to post from this list:

• Paying the mortgage
  • Driving to work
  • Riding metro/subway to work
  • Getting prostate exam
  • Getting colonoscopy
  • Getting miffed because the last group did not tidy up the conference room before my meeting
  • Posting in the forums about my reputation in SL and the forums

To be continued

I guess, pictures of an avatar doing these would show the avatar with a sad / crying face.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I find I have to sit on my hands a lot on the photo threads as I am in awe of so many people's talent. Fortunately, as I am so often quite behind with even looking now at threads, I find at least one other person will have said that someone really looks exceptionally good in green or has asked where a particular hair has come from. I like to see some comments sprinkled in with the photos, even from the contributors themselves, and some even take the time to add a list of all the places they got the component parts for their avatars, which is good for the creators, and saves people asking, even though I think that might be seen as advertising or favouring particular creators and vendors and isn't that against ToS or something? (I lose track.)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.