1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I think he's going to remove the video card tonight and see if anything happens. He's been home late the last couple of days and just too tired..

We haven't gotten any kind of video yet and the keyboard and mouse haven't booted yet either.

He's gonna look for anything loose as  well. 

I'll know more tonight. 

Most likely, you won't be able to boot without a video card, unless you have integrated graphics as well, Most boards (not all) will hang once no gpu is detected.

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

Most likely, you won't be able to boot without a video card, unless you have integrated graphics as well, Most boards (not all) will hang once no gpu is detected.

It has the option for that aswell.. I remember him turning that off before putting in the video card.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well, personally, I think it was a complete waste of manpower building emojis into the viewer.  I'm sure there are far more useful things they could have been working on.

A good set of response buttons for the forums for instance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Fun is not allowed on the forums. Didn't you get the memo?

I honestly think the Lab is trying to kill the forums and at the rate signed in members are dropping in numbers, it looks like they will succeed.

That is easy to do:
A simple announcement from the Lab would be sufficient:
"As from this post the forums are closed the archive will be around for 30 days, so everyone can save their own baloney if they want to."
And then they simply disable the log-in possibility. So the forums become read only.
No need to chase us out first.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

I honestly think the Lab is trying to kill the forums and at the rate signed in members are dropping in numbers, it looks like they will succeed.

When you say fun, define it what you mean by Fun is not allowed on the forums? 

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Expand  

When you say fun, define it what you mean by Fun is not allowed on the forums? 

I assume she meant "trolling" and discussing topics that get people riled up. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I assume she meant "trolling" and discussing topics that get people riled up. 

I mean if it didn't get out of hand and include character attacks and other personal attacks. Then yeah I can see why we can't do that. If it was more just busting each others guts playfully, than I don't think LL would have a problem. But somehow trolling in forums, devolves into slander and political stuff, and well it becomes an all out bar brawl.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean if it didn't get out of hand and include character attacks and other personal attacks. Then yeah I can see why we can't do that. If it was more just busting each others guts playfully, than I don't think LL would have a problem. But somehow trolling in forums, devolves into slander and political stuff, and well it becomes an all out bar brawl.

Possibly since brawls and off-topic posts result in a "Report-Fest", then Mods have to actually come check what nonsense is happening. If "babies" (like me!) didn't report butthurt posts, then we'd be fine. Just a theory.

• Haha 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Possibly since brawls and off-topic posts result in a "Report-Fest", then Mods have to actually come check what nonsense is happening. If "babies" (like me!) didn't report butthurt posts, then we'd be fine. Just a theory.

Yeah but I have seen some people go for the metaphorical jugular in some of these posts, and it's like whoa calm down. Lol. It's not that they are necessarily taking away fun. They are trying to stop a bigger fight in progress. I enjoy a good troll here and there, but when it gets well volatile, I step out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It has the option for that aswell.. I remember him turning that off before putting in the video card.

It might default to that with  the videocard removed, or you may have to clear the cmos, which resets everything to default. It could be a button, an internal jumper, or you may have to remove the round lithium battery to do it. That may or not be immediate. I've had to leave my battery out overnight on a few occasions.

18 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

That is easy too do:
A simple announcement from the Lab would be sufficient:
"As from this post the forums are closed the archive will be around for 30 days, so everyone can save their own baloney if they want to."
And then they simply disable the log-in possibility. So the forums become read only.
No need to chase us out first.

They need some justification like "Hey, we tried but people can't get along so since it does not promote SecondLife, we are closing this down except the Answers section. Since the new policies came in they are following the same playbook as was used in another virtual world forum in past to shut their Forum down.

• Thanks 1

I think that's the problem. For some people, "poking the bear" IS fun.

Peeve: In Second Life, Bears poke back!

I mean it can be fun, but they need to learn when to back off. Especially when it gets toxic and volatile. So it ain't the Linden's fault these posts are getting shut down, it's our fault. We get all emotional and metaphorically up in arms. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I mean it can be fun, but they need to learn when to back off. Especially when it gets toxic and volatile. So it ain't the Linden's fault these posts are getting shut down, it's our fault. We get all emotional and metaphorically up in arms. 

Agreed.

For example, let's posit that one theoretical poster merely cannot keep themself from always creating "RAGEPOSTS!1!!".  This may be "fun" and even "funny" for them, but..not only does it get old, get personal, get reported, but if everyone did it - not so much fun.

It's on US for responding and reacting to the "rageposts" but, what would you expect?

Peeve: (Theoretical) Rageposting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed.

For example, let's posit that one theoretical poster merely cannot keep themself from always creating "RAGEPOSTS!1!!".  This may be "fun" and even "funny" for them, but..not only does it get old, get personal, get reported, but if everyone did it - not so much fun.

It's on US for responding and reacting to the "rageposts" but, what would you expect?

Peeve: (Theoretical) Rageposting.

I mean I would expect people to get emotional, but an easy way to let a post like this become a fart in the wind, is just to ignore and realize the difference between a troll and legit post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the Lindens and their representatives shutting the threads down, not the residents. The ones getting butthurt and emotional are mostly the thread reporters even when they are not personally involved.

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean I would expect people to get emotional, but an easy way to let a post like this become a fart in the wind, is just to ignore and realize the difference between a troll and legit post. 

Agreed. And, believe it or not, I post more than some people so, am learning that particular skill of ignoring the troll posts and moving on. Sadly, I doubt in many cases the people being ignored / "moved-on from" think they are trolling. Freedum of speach!!1!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It's the Lindens and their representatives shutting the threads down, not the residents. The ones getting butthurt and emotional are mostly the thread reporters even when they are not personally involved.

So we should just allow the volatile and toxic character attacks and not take responsibility for our own actions. Most posts that get closed are due to someone or a group of people getting volatile and toxic at another person. We are not the victims here, especially when you see character attacks and things going way off-topic. I mean they have community guidelines for a reason and if we don't follow them in a certain post, they are gonna shut it down. 

Edited by Sammy Huntsman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So we should just allow the volatile and toxic character attacks and not take responsibility for our own actions. Most posts that get closed are due to someone or a group of people getting volatile and toxic at another person. 

Doesn't happen that often really and when it comes down to it, if one is going to be opinionated and controversial, better be bringing some fire retardant underwear and have a thick skin.

I do.

Edited by Arielle Popstar

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So we should just allow the volatile and toxic character attacks and not take responsibility for our own actions.

Peeve: Some who would say, "leave my thread alone!" are also the ones to say, "people should take personal responsibility".

Peeve: Paradoxes! <= Note: Did not say, "Hypocrisy!"

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Agreed. And, believe it or not, I post more than some people so, am learning that particular skill of ignoring the troll posts and moving on. Sadly, I doubt in many cases the people being ignored / "moved-on from" think they are trolling. Freedum of speach!!1!!

We all have our opinion as to what constitutes trolling. Like me as an example finds that off-topic posts like some regularly engage in, are trolling.

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Doesn't happen that often really and when it comes down to it, if one is going to be opinionated and controversial, better be bringing some fire retardant underwear and have a thick skin.

I do.

I mean I don't, as I have seen some posts where people are getting bullied and harrassed and that is not right. Nor should it be on these forums. This ain't 4chan this is the Second Life Forums. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peeve: I ordered something on Amazon and my package was shipped from a warehouse in NY. It traveled to two cites in California, before making its way back to the east coast in New Jersey. It then passed through the same neighborhood where the NY warehouse is before reaching my mailbox. I live in New York.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Peeve: Some of the posters in this thread write, like they are the angels of the forums, never troll, never suck, never derail threads, never make cheesy jokes,  never do anything wrong, but the others..... yeah right.
Almost all regulars do their fair share here.
All Saints is later in the year. Right after Halloween.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Peeve: I ordered something on Amazon and my package was shipped from a warehouse in NY. It traveled to two cites in California, before making its way back to the east coast in New Jersey. It then passed through the same neighborhood where the NY warehouse is before reaching my mailbox. I live in New York.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? I've never noticed weirdness like that. 

Do you have Prime? Was it "shipped & sold" from Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon, or sold/shipped from a 3rd party seller? Asking because I'm also a NYer and Amazon is always pretty on point with their shipping, but I'm super picky and generally choose things shipped or fulfilled by Amazon whenever possible. That's WILD! I'd be peeving hard, too.

• Like 4