9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ironically -- isn't that thread about how noobs and others should be "better educated" about LOD?

Well, semi-ironically, that was my post. I said if it was a noob post, shouldn't someone define LOD and explain why we care before getting all geeky "this is the way to build!"  I was at least told it was "level of detail" I haven't gone back to read if anyone said why I should care. Truthfully, and sadly, while I can do some things well in SL, I'm rather an average user in that I've never been motivated to get a PhD in SL and keep up with it all. I want to log in, move my avi, and do stuff without having to read the instructions. Even still, because I post on the Forums, and have done for years, I think I'm probably above the average user because you guys keep shoving information into my head by osmosis. Ow.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Well, semi-ironically, that was my post. I said if it was a noob post, shouldn't someone define LOD and explain why we care before getting all geeky "this is the way to build!"  I was at least told it was "level of detail" I haven't gone back to read if anyone said why I should care. Truthfully, and sadly, while I can do some things well in SL, I'm rather an average user in that I've never been motivated to get a PhD in SL and keep up with it all. I want to log in, move my avi, and do stuff without having to read the instructions. Even still, because I post on the Forums, and have done for years, I think I'm probably above the average user because you guys keep shoving information into my head by osmosis. Ow.

Don't include me in "you guys" -- I doubt I'm a whole lot more knowledgeable.

I have a pretty basic understanding of LOD. (For those keeping score, I usually keep mine at 3, because I jack it up for pics and then forget to lower it again.)

What I didn't understand, and no one explained, was this:

12 hours ago, wesleytron said:

I think it's really cool that all the people who like to wander around with their LODS set permanently on 4 don't care what their avatars look like and don't mind that they might look bald and naked to the rest of us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Don't include me in "you guys" -- I doubt I'm a whole lot more knowledgeable.

I have a pretty basic understanding of LOD. (For those keeping score, I usually keep mine at 3, because I jack it up for pics and then forget to lower it again.)

What I didn't understand, and no one explained, was this:

Ummm... so post over there and ask them wtf they mean. :)

Gotta tell you everything... sigh

• Haha 1

I just keep mine at whatever the default is when running around, which I believe is 2.0..

in ultra it's at 3.0.

I'll jack it up for pictures if I have to, but for the most part don't mess with it much.. There is a lot of well made things at those levels.. I wouldn't be able to see them otherwise..  I could jack it way up, but I'm not gonna be playing with it all the time, especially if I'm buying something.

• Like 3

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

I just keep mine at whatever the default is when running around, which I believe is 2.0..

in ultra it's at 3.0.

I'll jack it up for pictures if I have to, but for the most part don't mess with it much.. There is a lot of well made things at those levels.. I wouldn't be able to see them otherwise..  I could jack it way up, but I'm not gonna be playing with it all the time, especially if I'm buying something.

OOOOH! LoL. NOW I know what slider you are talking about! :::facepalms::: for walking around 2. Photos 4. Well it used to be. It doesn't like my crappy laptop. But...

that said, we probably don't want to turn the peeves thread into a 2nd LOD thread, yeah?

omg. I just turned hall monitor

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

OOOOH! LoL. NOW I know what slider you are talking about! :::facepalms::: for walking around 2. Photos 4. Well it used to be. It doesn't like my crappy laptop. But...

that said, we probably don't want to turn the peeves thread into a 2nd LOD thread, yeah?

omg. I just turned hall monitor

I was just chiming in.. hehehe

I chimed in over there already and seen it going on in here too..

• Like 1

This is truly a peeve, and online with the "derail" we're doing. Story time:

I like to think of myself as relatively intelligent, ya know. I can play Teh Stoopid Card if I have to, and lately I've been having it dealt to me, but, basically I think I can navigate a myriad of subjects. 

I've been recently talking to a few people who are SL geeks. My inner convo is basically a running sliding scale of, "Hm. I followed that 20%. That 84% WTF??? -10%." I come out of those conversations doubting my mental capacities. I want to whine, "I know how to buy shoes!"

Then again, I've had some convos with avatars who are 10+ years who have never heard of Bellisaria (I can't spell it though, and I live there). I can act all morally superior and know-it-all then, and that helps stave off the "OMG, I'm a blithering idiot" conversations I've been having with the geeks.

I haz new hairs...

• Like 3

Real peeve, but more at myself than anything..

After organizing my inventory and getting things into their certain areas, I can't find crap!

After thinking hard on it, because a lot has to do with using so many different mesh bodies and things getting mixed up.. I think i found my solution to knocking down the chaos.

I'm going to make a folder for each body and everything related to that body goes in there..

So any outfits with a version of each will be separated when I get them and each version of the body will have that outfit in their directory.

Right now I put on a certain body, it's like opening up a whole separate inventory for it  trying to figure what I have in there for it..

It takes me hours just to get things to wear for a photo I had an idea for.. by the time I have things together, it's bed time already.. hehe

So hopefully not a peeve for too much longer.

I just had to say this somewhere  because I'm so close to ripping my hair out, because  i've been trying to get things together for the last two days for one picture.. lol

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

After organizing my inventory and getting things into their certain areas, I can't find crap!

After thinking hard on it, because a lot has to do with using so many different mesh bodies and things getting mixed up.. I think i found my solution to knocking down the chaos.

I'm going to make a folder for each body and everything related to that body goes in there..

So any outfits with a version of each will be separated when I get them and each version of the body will have that outfit in their directory.

Right now I put on a certain body, it's like opening up a whole separate inventory for it  trying to figure what I have in there for it..

It takes me hours just to get things to wear for a photo I had an idea for.. by the time I have things together, it's bed time already.. hehe

I just had to say this somewhere  because I'm so close to ripping my hair out, because  i've been trying to get things together for the last two days for one picture.. lol

My mesh bodies are in my Body folder. Mesh Bodies -> then a separate folder for Maitreya, then one for both Freya & Isis (because they both use the same HUD & some other stuff). My mesh heads each have their own folders inside my Body -> Mesh Heads folder, which include my go-to shape for each head with my Freya body. Makeup for my mesh heads are in my Body -> Makeup folder. Skins are in Body -> Skins -> then folders for types of skins (Light, Medium to Dark, Fantasy, etc.)  Each skin folder has (Genus), (Catwa HD) (LeL) or (EvoX) after it's name, then - tones, then - store.

Clothing is in subfolders of my Clothing folder, with identifiers in the title of each folder to let me know which bodies it fits. M * means it fits Maitreya only; M B * means it fits Maitreya, Freya & Isis. M F * means it fits Maitreya & Freya. (Since I don't wear Isis now, I might change those M F * notes to M B *, so I can find my Freya clothes by searching on B *. Searching on "Freya" usually works, unless the creator has labeled those sizes with BF. ) I wouldn't want to have folders for each outfit based on body-type, because they all use the same HUD & I don't need multiples of it. In fact, if I have multiple HUDs for different color sets, they're all inside the same folder too. The title for such an item would be something like "Cozy Cardigan - Classic, Halloween HUD, M B * - Blueberry". Clothing that doesn't have a HUD would look like " Sugar Ballet Shoes - High, Black, Cream, Pink, M * -  Oubliette"

I like to have my inventory organized, which makes it easier to find stuff, but many items are still unpacked or only partially sorted inside of Sort this Stuff folders. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I feel your pain. Griping about my inventory is a chronic event, and I do then go in and try to organize it. I make progress but it, the whole thing, has never been organized. Lately, I've been griping about not being able to find ANYTHING, and just the other day drove myself bonkers trying to find one piece of furniture I knew I had but I couldn't remember the store name. Easy, type in the type of furniture, right? "Chair." no no no and no.

Your project sounds like a good solution and one that would take me to 2058 if I worked on it every day.

I so get the frustration of dinking around on the set up for the photo that by the time you get around to being able to do the photo, you do have to go to bed, or you can't stand sitting in front of the screen for one more minute.

I wish you luck, Ceka! When you're done, do you want to do mine?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

My mesh bodies are in my Body folder. Mesh Bodies -> then a separate folder for Maitreya, then one for both Freya & Isis (because they both use the same HUD & some other stuff). My mesh heads each have their own folders inside my Body -> Mesh Heads folder, which include my go-to shape for each head with my Freya body. Makeup for my mesh heads are in my Body -> Makeup folder. Skins are in Body -> Skins -> then folders for types of skins (Light, Medium to Dark, Fantasy, etc.)  Each skin folder has (Genus), (Catwa HD) (LeL) or (EvoX) after it's name, then - tones, then - store.

Clothing is in subfolders of my Clothing folder, with identifiers in the title of each folder to let me know which bodies it fits. M * means it fits Maitreya only; M B * means it fits Maitreya, Freya & Isis. M F * means it fits Maitreya & Freya. (Since I don't wear Isis now, I might change those M F * notes to M B *, so I can find my Freya clothes by searching on B *. Searching on "Freya" usually works, unless the creator has labeled those sizes with BF. ) I wouldn't want to have folders for each outfit based on body-type, because they all use the same HUD & I don't need multiples of it. In fact, if I have multiple HUDs for different color sets, they're all inside the same folder too. The title for such an item would be something like "Cozy Cardigan - Classic, Halloween HUD, M B * - Blueberry". Clothing that doesn't have a HUD would look like " Sugar Ballet Shoes - High, Black, Cream, Pink, M * -  Oubliette"

I like to have my inventory organized, which makes it easier to find stuff, but many items are still unpacked or only partially sorted inside of Sort this Stuff folders. 

1) I have the same set, in the same colors of those Oubliette shoes :)
2) I got tired reading your very organized system. Will you adopt me?
3) However, this system just gave me reason #892 why I only have one body. Will only have one body. I'm gonna die in this avatar body. When clothes come in a folder for 100 different bodies, I pluck out the one for Lara. That's what I see. Sometimes I delete the others, but I get itchy, even though "other body" ain't happening, what if I need it! (I don't trust redeliver?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

1) I have the same set, in the same colors of those Oubliette shoes :)
2) I got tired reading your very organized system. Will you adopt me?
3) However, this system just gave me reason #892 why I only have one body. Will only have one body. I'm gonna die in this avatar body. When clothes come in a folder for 100 different bodies, I pluck out the one for Lara. That's what I see. Sometimes I delete the others, but I get itchy, even though "other body" ain't happening, what if I need it! (I don't trust redeliver?)

1. Great minds think alike,...or at least know where to shop.

2. No, but I'll send you a virtual hug.

3. Clothes for the bodies I don't use stay in the package, which stays in the folder for the outfit/ item. If I didn't have so many items that only fit Maitreya, all the unpacked clothing in my inventory would be for Freya or BOM/system layers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I use the main directories and my body parts are in the body parts folder. Mesh heads ,bodies, eyes,shapes,skins and things like that..

I just want to simplify it some in the clothing folder more than anything..

Just kind of mimic my body parts folder, where when I am wearing a body,I just open that folder and not have to sift through all the other things for the other bodies.. Everything for Maitreya will be in the maitreya clothing folder, Kalhene which pretty much has her own things will be in that one..

I've tried it where they are all in the same folder, but having all the different bodies items in one folder and having to look through say a top folder with different bodies, even that can be hard on the eyes after awhile..

I just want to be able to go in knowing it's for this body and just have to look for pants rather than read the whole line to make sure I'm getting the right one..

A lot of it I think is to save on the eye strain that I seem to be getting these days too.. hehehehe

I start out with my reading glasses at the beginning, then I'm having to jump up to another pair that are a little more stronger which I don't like wearing.. Then when I'm done, everything is blurry..lol

Squinting leads to brain hurts.. hehehe

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I use the main directories and my body parts are in the body parts folder. Mesh heads ,bodies, eyes,shapes,skins and things like that..

I just want to simplify it some in the clothing folder more than anything..

Just kind of mimic my body parts folder, where when I am wearing a body,I just open that folder and not have to sift through all the other things for the other bodies.. Everything for Maitreya will be in the maitreya clothing folder, Kalhene which pretty much has her own things will be in that one..

I've tried it where they are all in the same folder, but having all the different bodies items in one folder and having to look through say a top folder with different bodies, even that can be hard on the eyes after awhile..

I just want to be able to go in knowing it's for this body and just have to look for pants rather than read the whole line to make sure I'm getting the right one..

A lot of it I think is to save on the eye strain that I seem to be getting these days too.. hehehehe

I start out with my reading glasses at the beginning, then I'm having to jump up to another pair that are a little more stronger which I don't like wearing.. Then when I'm done, everything is blurry..lol

Squinting leads to brain hurts.. hehehe

I do have all my Petite clothing in it's own folder too - but that doesn't get used much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I feel your pain. Griping about my inventory is a chronic event, and I do then go in and try to organize it. I make progress but it, the whole thing, has never been organized. Lately, I've been griping about not being able to find ANYTHING, and just the other day drove myself bonkers trying to find one piece of furniture I knew I had but I couldn't remember the store name. Easy, type in the type of furniture, right? "Chair." no no no and no.

Your project sounds like a good solution and one that would take me to 2058 if I worked on it every day.

I so get the frustration of dinking around on the set up for the photo that by the time you get around to being able to do the photo, you do have to go to bed, or you can't stand sitting in front of the screen for one more minute.

I wish you luck, Ceka! When you're done, do you want to do mine?

I have everything in their directories.. I just need to restructure things some, so the hard part is over really.. it was a real mess before.. hehehe

• Like 2