Profile pics on my.secondlife

Lewis Luminos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What's this then?

It seems like it's no longer possible to change your profile pic via the web on my.secondlife.  

da8a403e168eb6e57c768b551a80745e.thumb.png.28e1a6dffb9762914a78a98957cb2c3f.png

Is this a bug or a permanent change?  If the latter, I'm very disappointed. I can spare L$10 for an upload but there are many, many users who can't.

• Like 3

On 09/10/2022 at 16:49, Lewis Luminos said:

O que é isso então?

Parece que não é mais possível alterar sua foto de perfil pela web em my.secondlife.  

Isso é um bug ou uma mudança permanente? Se for o último, estou muito decepcionado. Eu posso poupar L$10 para um upload, mas há muitos, muitos usuários que não podem.

It won't take long for free accounts to be extinguished... it's getting more expensive and more oppressive every day...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/10/2022 at 3:49 AM, Lewis Luminos said:

What's this then?

It seems like it's no longer possible to change your profile pic via the web on my.secondlife.  

Is this a bug or a permanent change?  If the latter, I'm very disappointed. I can spare L$10 for an upload but there are many, many users who can't.

Uploading a new profile pic to your profile in-world is free. There is no charge, whether it is from your in-world inventory or from your PC.

1 hour ago, Olivier Marques said:

Uploading a new profile pic to your profile in-world is free. There is no charge, whether it is from your in-world inventory or from your PC.

It's only free if it's a.picture saved to.inventory.  Uploading a.pic from your computer is still 10L unless you're premium plus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's only free if it's a.picture saved to.inventory.  Uploading a.pic from your computer is still 10L unless you're premium plus.

Nope. I use the LL Viewer and it is free to upload a pic from my PC to my profile. Always has been. I do it a lot. Just tried again and upload photo from PC, change photo using inventory texture and remove photo, all free.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

There's two (three) different things being talked about here.

Lewis is talking about my.secondlife.com when visited from your browser.

Rowan is talking about legacy profiles (for which you can only use SL textures, which must be uploaded for 10L first).

Olivier is talking about the web profiles seen in the viewer, which are basically just my.secondlife.com.

Uploading to the website is free, because the image doesn't need to be an SL asset. The website is also used for for the viewer, which isn't very different (besides not being the same as legacy profiles).

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

There's two (three) different things being talked about here.

Lewis is talking about my.secondlife.com when visited from your browser.

Rowan is talking about legacy profiles (for which you can only use SL textures, which must be uploaded for 10L first).

Olivier is talking about the web profiles seen in the viewer, which are basically just my.secondlife.com.

Uploading to the website is free, because the image doesn't need to be an SL asset. The website is also used for for the viewer, which isn't very different (besides not being the same as legacy profiles).

I've just tried using the SL viewer to do it Oliver's way, via the web profile in the viewer, and that is also broken and redirecting to do it via a L$10 upload.

I don't know how Oliver managed to do it today.  Unless it's broken only for people in certain countries?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I've just tried using the SL viewer to do it Oliver's way, via the web profile in the viewer, and that is also broken and redirecting to do it via a L$10 upload.

I don't know how Oliver managed to do it today.  Unless it's broken only for people in certain countries?

I never use the official viewer but I was able to upload directly to the web profile from my computer for free.   I've never used the web profiles on Firestorm but I'll check that next.  

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

I never use the official viewer but I was able to upload directly to the web profile from my computer for free.   I've never used the web profiles on Firestorm but I'll check that next.  

Hmm its starting to look like it's selectively broken then. I wonder if it really is something to do with what country people are in.

Can any other UK people confirm or deny?

As far as I know, this is an intended change because LL are doing away with web profiles.

On the latest LL Viewer release, which uses the new legacy profiles, open your profile & in the Bio tab, use the Actions drop down and choose "Upload Photo" to pick an image from your computer.
This has no cost.

The next Firestorm release will also switch over to the new legacy profiles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Hmm its starting to look like it's selectively broken then. I wonder if it really is something to do with what country people are in.

UK here.
I can't change my profile image via web profiles.index.png.ac3c61c57b240d72a8240ee61f67ece0.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was just going to post the same process that @Whirly Fizzle mentioned in the latest SL viewer: Me -> Profile, then on the new profile window "Actions" dropdown box, choose "Upload Photo".   

I did test it out with a basic alt (no premium account of any kind), and I was able to upload a photo for the inworld profile without any charge, so using my.secondlife.com in order to change your profile pic inworld without any charge is no longer necessary. 

• Like 1

• Lindens
47 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Hi Rowan!

Are you able to give steps onto how you uploaded your photo directly to the web profile? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Atlas Linden said:

Thanks Rowan!

Just wanted to clarify that this was being done in the viewer rather than through your browser

I've rarely used the LL viewer and in Firestorm, I've always used the old Legacy profile option so I had no idea if the behavior in the LL viewer was expected behavior or not.   I'm hoping it's expected behavior as this would make it much simpler for new residents without the 10L upload charge to have a profile picture.  One thing I am noticing is...The Legacy profile picture in the Firestorm viewer has switched to the picture I uploaded using the LL viewer but the photo on the website mysecondlife.com has not changed.

Firestorm Legacy profile

1269a106f47067491196eafdfb9473b4.png.de791a09a689b74a29f6808c681c125d.png

How it appears on the mysecondlife.com website...

3e72e8d8f7c455b59dbb227cb4a89ad7.png.695c4b2acf048b0947e22a00bc02b311.png

ETA:  After 40 mins, the web picture HAS changed to the one I uploaded.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I did wonder if my.secondlife.com was getting deprecated. It's not working for me. And similar experience to Rowan; on the occasions I've used it, it's sometimes failed to filter through to the legacy profile; sometimes the two profile pics have been diffeent for months before I noticed.

Also I can confirm that uploading a new pic to the "legacy" profile in the official viewer is free, and does not add the pic to your inventory.

Edited by Maitimo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.