Profile pics on my.secondlife

Lewis Luminos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

anyone try changing their profile pictures in the official secondlife viewer  today,
and then check back on the (my secondlife website), the profile picture still does not sync. (my secondlife website still retains the old picture)

Also, doesnt the Forum uses the picture from (my secondlife website), so that means the forum's picture would still be oudated?

why is it disjoined and not synced?

27 minutes ago, GypsiesSoul said:

anyone try changing their profile pictures in the official secondlife viewer  today,
and then check back on the (my secondlife website), the profile picture still does not sync. (my secondlife website still retains the old picture)

Also, doesnt the Forum uses the picture from (my secondlife website), so that means the forum's picture would still be oudated?

why is it disjoined and not synced?

The my.secondlife.com website does update, for now, just it sometimes has a delay.

The community.secondlife.com has its own profile.

Seemples!

Edited by Olivier Marques

1 hour ago, Olivier Marques said:

The my.secondlife.com website does update, for now, just it sometimes has a delay.

The community.secondlife.com has its own profile.

Seemples!

The web profile does not sync. It's been several days since I changed the pic (which you can see on the previous page).

But that's expected since those are going away.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Olivier Marques said:

Yea this topic needs closing. It is a waste of time. Stuff moves on.

No, it does not need closing and is not a waste of time. Our profiles should work as expected, change photo instantly, like before. It is broken. If it is going away make it go away, this limbo phase is not enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

i think there should just be one single place to upload pictures and edit profiles, and it should be on the main secondlife website. right?

not on the different viewers. 

Because having it on one place then there is no differences and sync issues.

i remember for the longest time and years, firestorm even had their own photo uploading situation.  firestorm's profile pic were also mismatched with  official secondlife viewer profile pic. i think this year 2022 is the firsttime that  firestorm is finally using the picture from official secondlife viewer

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GypsiesSoul said:

i remember for the longest time and years, firestorm even had their own photo uploading situation.  firestorm's profile pic were also mismatched with  official secondlife viewer profile pic. i think this year 2022 is the firsttime that  firestorm is finally using the picture from official secondlife viewer

Um no.  I've been using Firestorm for a very long time and they have always used the legacy profiles that LL created and then dropped in favour of web profiles.  Now LL have created new in-viewer profiles again and are dropping web profiles.

For a long time throughout the years I could update the Firestorm inworld picture from the My Second Life part of the web site.  There have been many times when the sync from My Second Life to the viewer was broken though but that would have affected any viewers using legacy profiles.

Actually if u ever uploaded pictures through My secondlife or the official secondlife viewer, then you would have never had the problem.  the firestorm will be syncned up that way.

*However* , if you neever logged into official SL viewer or used the Mysecond life website, and  you ONLY uploaded directly to firestorm viewer all these past years, they never synced up.

But only this year 2022 , finally,, with the removal of direct upload button on firestorm viewer,  people's profile pictures will eventually sync up now

6 minutes ago, GypsiesSoul said:

Actually if u ever uploaded pictures through My secondlife or the official secondlife viewer, then you would have never had the problem.  the firestorm will be syncned up that way.

*However* , if you neever logged into official SL viewer or used the Mysecond life website, and  you ONLY uploaded directly to firestorm viewer all these past years, they never synced up.

But only this year 2022 , finally,, with the removal of direct upload button on firestorm viewer,  people's profile pictures will eventually sync up now

Well I cannot comment on your edge case but that wasn't Firestorm having a special upload, they have always supported the legacy profiles the same as other viewers that did.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

I  have used Both viewers from 2018 to 2022, and for these past few years and noticed how when i viewed someone's profile its very different.
like if im using firestorm viewer to look at person x's profile
while using SL official viewer to look at person x's profile.

so many profiles i have found to be disjointed. like unmatched profile pictures. unmatched information.
unmatched RL pictures.
thats because certain people only uploaded pictures and information through thirdparty firestorm and not through the official SL account.

i believe its because Firestorm is able to retrieve information from official SL account, but not the other way around. official SL account doesnt bother searching third party viewer's local information and pictures.

But only this year 2022, now with all the viewer updates happening, they are starting to sync up. disabling the  firestorm profile picture upload button was the best thing.  having one location to upload stuff is the best way .

Edited by GypsiesSoul

I've been using Firestorm for way longer than you.  There is no Firestorm account.  They're all SL accounts.  Firestorm just uploads and downloads it's profile pictures through the legacy viewer API same as all other viewers that use the legacy profile API and the same one that LL used to use for the official viewer profiles.  LL has been through 2 re-implementations of profiles since the legacy profiles.  The first was web profiles and now the new profile API.

There have been known issues with LL syncing profiles between the legacy API and the web API.

A lot of what you are saying doesn't make any sense.  What Firestorm profile picture upload button?  Do you mean the Snapshot Share to Profile Feed?  That shares a snapshot to your My Second Life Profile Feed and is still there in the latest.

No viewer is able to search "local information and pictures".  Anything any viewer can access has to be stored with LL on their cloud servers.  Anything stored locally on a users hard disk is either a cached copy of something on the servers or things like chat logs and no viewer can access those directly.

The real reason why things are probably getting better is that LL's newest profile API doesn't use web profiles at all because they are going away, it uses a similar mechanism to the legacy API but better.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

4 hours ago, GypsiesSoul said:

I don't think this is true. I mainly set my profile picture through Firestorm but I also use other viewers (including LL), and haven't noticed them being out of sync. (Been using Firestorm since day-one, long before web profiles existed.)

It also doesn't really make sense that Firestorm would host its own profile pictures when LL already has that system built for them and other TPVs are able to do it too. There'd be a lot of topics about that over the years but this is the first time I'm hearing about it. Sounds like a normal caching issue.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 2:58 PM, Neness Renard said:

I can confirm and I'm in France. Set a new photo in your SL profile or in your RL profile is still free.
- Click on your photo when you are logged in the grid
- Click to "local"
- Choose a pic in your computer and "apply"
- and OK.

Et voilà!
;)

Does this not equate to what used to be called temporary uploads? You may well see the profile picture but everyone else will just see a grey texture I think as they do not have access to the picture because it is stored locally on your computer and has not been uploaded.

Edited by Randy Pole
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Shamira1988 said:

Why can't I change my photo anymore through Firestorm webphoto, which can change from my.secondlife.com because apparently it doesn't work through the viewer.
and via the second Life viewer that also didn't work please can someone help me?

Shamira1988.png

Give it a lil bit of time.. i changed 1st life photo 10 days ago (Nov13), it will probably sync by Christmas time.

• Like 1

I think LL will have a lot of problems to fix because to the last version of Firestorm.
1- Upload the profiles pics for 10L., Before it was free. Marketing choice?
2- Fix the problem of the Slurl because there is no comunication anymore between Firestorm 6.6.3 (67470) and some web navigators.
See my article: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/493029-firestorm-663-67470-vs-firefox-ne-communiquent-plus/

and the Opensim version of Firestorm doesn't fix the problem...

In fact, the last Firestorm seems to be not compatible anymore with Windows Seven.

I wait impatiently the next version of Firestorm to see if I must emigrate my Windows 7 to 11

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2022 at 6:55 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The web profiles (my.secondlife.com) are being phased out and aren't intended to work.

Ah well, I guess I'll drop my decade-long grumbling about the web profiles not having an RSS feed and use the already-working Flickr link from Firestorm, which is easier to repost/reblog from anyway.

On 11/23/2022 at 1:13 PM, Neness Renard said:

I wait impatiently the next version of Firestorm to see if I must emigrate my Windows 7 to 11

You should do so anyway, because security updates for Win 7 ceased in January 2020 and even if you have the extended updates package, that still ends this month on January 10th. Which means that your system is now significantly more at risk.

If your system can't run 11, you should at least try for 10.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.