Profile pics on my.secondlife

Lewis Luminos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've rarely used the LL viewer and in Firestorm, I've always used the old Legacy profile option so I had no idea if the behavior in the LL viewer was expected behavior or not.   I'm hoping it's expected behavior as this would make it much simpler for new residents without the 10L upload charge to have a profile picture.  One thing I am noticing is...The Legacy profile picture in the Firestorm viewer has switched to the picture I uploaded using the LL viewer but the photo on the website mysecondlife.com has not changed.

Firestorm Legacy profile

1269a106f47067491196eafdfb9473b4.png.de791a09a689b74a29f6808c681c125d.png

How it appears on the mysecondlife.com website...

3e72e8d8f7c455b59dbb227cb4a89ad7.png.695c4b2acf048b0947e22a00bc02b311.png

ETA:  After 40 mins, the web picture HAS changed to the one I uploaded.

Yes, I noticed there can be a delay, with the new in-world profiles updating the web accessed one. It used to be quite long, but lately, it is updating more quickly and at times, immediately.

I do love the new in-world profile format in the LL Viewer. This is the viewer version I am using - Second Life Release 6.6.5.575257 (64bit)

Is there any purpose of the access to the web based my.secondlife.com continuing?

8 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

As far as I know, this is an intended change because LL are doing away with web profiles.

On the latest LL Viewer release, which uses the new legacy profiles, open your profile & in the Bio tab, use the Actions drop down and choose "Upload Photo" to pick an image from your computer.
This has no cost.

The next Firestorm release will also switch over to the new legacy profiles.

That is good news. At least we will all be looking at the same thing then.

The new profiles in the LL Viewer, does have a small issue with links, which has a JIRA. This is not directly related to the new profiles, but when using in-world search, it doesn't open the new profiles but links to web based profiles.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-232619

This is being worked on and the latest from Kyle Linden is this -

Hello Olivier,

Thank you for the report, we were finally able to reproduce this issue with a fresh install of Second Life and do seem to have figured out what is happening after your latest feedback.

For anyone seeing this behavior.

All web browsers default to what one would expect to be the URL for Second Life Search, https://search.secondlife.com

However Second Life viewers actually rely on a slightly different version of Search to link directly to the relevant floaters in the viewer. https://search.secondlife.com/viewer

The quick fix is to 'chat' https://search.secondlife.com/viewer into local chat and then right-click on the link and select Open in Internal Browser. Once you have done this in the Second Life viewer it will set a cookie to keep using the /viewer/ version of Search.
NOTE: If you open that link in your external web browser you will also be locked into using the Viewer based search and that will require you clear you browsers site data for 'search.secondlife.com' in order to use the Web browser intended search interface.

Please watch future release notes for an update on this issue being resolved.

Thanks!

Edited by Olivier Marques
Clarification
  • Like 3

This is also the case outside of the UK. .. Option to change Profile Photo is still unavailable at this very moment for me because of the same reason.

Completely outside of the Second Life viewer,.. but directly with Internet Browser, I am unable to change the profile image like I have done for years.

Edited by guardianx
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading over the posts in this feed & I am also experiencing this issue. I have been able to upload photos to my web profile for years directly from my computer Using both the SL viewer & Firestorm viewer. Tonight I went to change my profile picture and the only one I am able to change is the one on the Second Life tab that you have to have the texture/picture in Second life inventory. I had to upload the photo 1st. So my web photo is different than my SL photo now. Hope this issue gets fixed soon cuz this is really annoying and I am in the US having this issue btw.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2022 at 12:55 AM, Reba Sands said:

I have been reading over the posts in this feed & I am also experiencing this issue. I have been able to upload photos to my web profile for years directly from my computer Using both the SL viewer & Firestorm viewer. Tonight I went to change my profile picture and the only one I am able to change is the one on the Second Life tab that you have to have the texture/picture in Second life inventory. I had to upload the photo 1st. So my web photo is different than my SL photo now. Hope this issue gets fixed soon cuz this is really annoying and I am in the US having this issue btw.

I have been having these same exact results for weeks now. Also US.

• Like 1

Now after dropping a picture into the SL tab from within SL, the next day I did notice that the picture on the web tab had changed as well. My husband also added a profile picture to his SL tab and since he was on a new avatar, it immediately added the picture to his Web tab as well. But again it had to be done within SL from a texture in our inventories.

2 minutes ago, Reba Sands said:

Now after dropping a picture into the SL tab from within SL, the next day I did notice that the picture on the web tab had changed as well. My husband also added a profile picture to his SL tab and since he was on a new avatar, it immediately added the picture to his Web tab as well. But again it had to be done within SL from a texture in our inventories.

If you're using the LL viewer you can update your profile picture inworld (via the new profile window) and you can either choose an existing picture from inventory, or you can upload a picture directly to your profile picture tab without having to pay any upload fee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoiraKathleen said:

If you're using the LL viewer you can update your profile picture inworld (via the new profile window) and you can either choose an existing picture from inventory, or you can upload a picture directly to your profile picture tab without having to pay any upload fee.

In theory, yes, but have you tried it recently?

26 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

That's how it works right now. The web profiles (my.secondlife.com) are being phased out and aren't intended to work.

You have to change your profile picture via the viewer, either by uploading a texture and dragging that onto the legacy profile slot, or by using the new legacy profile's Upload/Change Photo actions. ("Upload Photo" is free and selects a file from your computer. "Change Photo" selects a texture from your inventory.)

image.png.f774466d50daf5d90d00ed63430d5549.png

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

The being able to upload a profile picture without an upload fee?  Yes, I did it a few days ago, and just did it again before posting this comment. 

It's done in the new profile window.  The "Actions" dropdown has an option for "Upload Photo". 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MoiraKathleen said:

The being able to upload a profile picture without an upload fee?  Yes, I did it a few days ago, and just did it again before posting this comment. 

It's done in the new profile window.  The "Actions" dropdown has an option for "Upload Photo". 

Thank you, which viewer?

5 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

That's how it works right now. The web profiles (my.secondlife.com) are being phased out and aren't intended to work.

You have to change your profile picture via the viewer, either by uploading a texture and dragging that onto the legacy profile slot, or by using the new legacy profile's Upload/Change Photo actions. ("Upload Photo" is free and selects a file from your computer. "Change Photo" selects a texture from your inventory.)

image.png.f774466d50daf5d90d00ed63430d5549.png

Thank you I will attempt now.

Also, just to be clear, I do not care about the upload fee (ten lindens is what? less than an American penny? please), I just want to be able to change my profile photo as easily as I have been able to do for the past TWELVE YEARS.

Edit: also as a premium plus member and a full region owner I could care less about upload fees (they are free now for me). I just want to have the profile photo of my current mood is all.

Edited by Charolotte Caxton

6 hours ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Well I changed it in FS by selecting local and all my alt sees is a grey square.

Local textures can only be seen during one login session and only by the account that selected the texture. They're never seen by other people.

Since you're on Firestorm and/or don't have the new legacy profiles, you have to actually upload a texture into SL so it becomes an inventory item, then use that as your profile pic.

The new profile pic won't update immediately for others, but it only takes a couple minutes. It won't update on the website.

5 hours ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Out of curiosity I went to purchase 10 linden dollars. It would cost an American nickel but is such a low amount that I cannot purchase it. Do people actually complain about paying five cents to upload their own personal profile photo? I'm not saying let them eat cake but cmon.

10 lindens is an infinite amount of money for people who can't or don't want to put their payment info into SL, especially before we had options to set profile pics for free. (Before the website, before Premium Plus, never mind the fact that you have to spend a minimum of US$2.50.)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Local textures can only be seen during one login session and only by the account that selected the texture. They're never seen by other people.

Since you're on Firestorm and/or don't have the new legacy profiles, you have to actually upload a texture into SL so it becomes an inventory item, then use that as your profile pic.

The new profile pic won't update immediately for others, but it only takes a couple minutes. It won't update on the website.

10 lindens is an infinite amount of money for people who can't or don't want to put their payment info into SL, especially before we had options to set profile pics for free. (Before the website, before Premium Plus, never mind the fact that you have to spend a minimum of US$2.50.)

Thank you. You are right about ten being an infinite amount when you have zero. I remember money trees, those were cool. Thanks.  

On 10/14/2022 at 12:51 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

As far as I know, this is an intended change because LL are doing away with web profiles.

On the latest LL Viewer release, which uses the new legacy profiles, open your profile & in the Bio tab, use the Actions drop down and choose "Upload Photo" to pick an image from your computer.
This has no cost.

The next Firestorm release will also switch over to the new legacy profiles.

The LL Viewer uploads free pics from your PC, to the new legacy profiles. Whirly already said that the next Firestorm release will be switching over to the new legacy profiles.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.