Deploy Plan for the Week of 2022-09-19

Mazidox Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server and Events

We will be deploying version 2022-09-09.574921 to the SLS + Events channels on Tuesday, 2022-09-20 from 06:30 - 11:30 PDT.

Second Life RC

The Release Candidate channels will be restarted on Wednesday, 2022-09-21. There will be no version change from the current version 2022-09-09.574921.

Coming Soon*…

Another maintenance release with several crash fixes is likely our next candidate for promotion, although it may be a couple of weeks before it’s ready

• As always, Coming Soon represents our best guess at what will be moved from Aditi to RC in the coming weeks. We may need to delay, reshuffle, or remove upcoming releases for operational reasons.

• Thanks 6

I know it's not your job, Mazidox but it'd be nice if the GSP had some reference to all this before Europe went to bed!

ETA: 9 hours later and there is still no mention of the restarts on the GSP. Is the person responsible for the GSP on holiday or is it just broken?

FETA: Well well well...at 06:11hr PDT you announce a roll due to commence  at 06:12hr PDT, or "approximately 06:00hr". It was notified as commenced at 06:14hr.

Thankyou LL.  No...really.

Edited by Aishagain
additional commentary and ironic thanks

16 hours ago, Mazidox Linden said:

Second Life Server and Events

We will be deploying version 2022-09-09.574921 to the SLS + Events channels on Tuesday, 2022-09-20 from 06:30 - 11:30 PDT.

Second Life RC

The Release Candidate channels will be restarted on Wednesday, 2022-09-21. There will be no version change from the current version 2022-09-09.574921.

Coming Soon*…

Another maintenance release with several crash fixes is likely our next candidate for promotion, although it may be a couple of weeks before it’s ready

• As always, Coming Soon represents our best guess at what will be moved from Aditi to RC in the coming weeks. We may need to delay, reshuffle, or remove upcoming releases for operational reasons.

Are you sure the SLS is getting an update? the GSP shows restarts as being completed.
https://secondlife-status.statuspage.io/incidents/t8yqsr3znly8

Nuggy, an SLS region hasn't been restarted. It's now 6:40 SLT.

21 hours ago, Monty Linden said:

(This is chaotic?  Perhaps it's time for a reminder...)

Yes, Monty, chaotic.  Two separate posts, one indicating that the roll was complete and another clearly stating that the roll was still in progress!  Now I see two seperate (How DO you spell this word?) posts indicating that the roll is complete; one suggesting completion at 6:15am PST and another announcing completion at 09:10am!

Were two seperate rolls being carried out on SLS? To what end?

Edited by Aishagain
grammar..or pedantry, you choose.

Simple explanation: One is a duplicate entry/in error (the one showing no more than a minute between scheduling, initiation and completion stages) whereas the other is the actual entry.

What is more concerning to me is that said erroneous entry cleared the maintenance/degraded performance flag from the Status page for the mainline servers. For the duration of the actual roll, the rest of the page showed an "all clear' output.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Now see, there's another of the "simple" explanations that was overlooked!

I didn't "overlook" a simple explanation, Solar...there wasn't ANY explanation until Monty kindly brought us up to speed.  My original complaint was about the lack of any warning on the Grid Status Page and as you pointed out yourself the "All Clear" did indeed go out early as Monty said.resulting is a false indication on the GSP.

All I am doing is calling out poor flagging by LL, it's not as if they're new to this.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Goodness knows, some of us are "simple"! (Speaking only for myself.)

I'm with you there.

I always hum to myself, and people often ask me "How come you're so happy?", and I used to flippantly say "I'm too stupid to be miserable". Then one day, I realised, it was true.

I'd guess that they (Lindens) still bother because if they didn't (like today for instance), then relatively new accounts that don't know their way around these forums like us might try to log on...fail to get in, maybe look at the only information source they might know such as the Grid Status Page and think that there's a problem with their rig or their ISP... fixing it is just too hard and just never bother again.  Extreme example perhaps but if you have an unreliable product it won't be a commercial success.  End of.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 1:04 AM, Aishagain said:

I know it's not your job, Mazidox but it'd be nice if the GSP had some reference to all this before Europe went to bed!

This isn't the big issue with what happened on Tuesday, but Second Life runs 24/7 and Linden Lab doesn't. There is a big chunk of every day when things can go wrong—my most recent experience was a region going down—and there seems to be no way of reporting it. I think I could have submitted a JIRA, but that needs a different password, and I can't call it a user-friendly. And, key question, how long before any action gets taken? That applies however the report arrives at Linden Lab.

I have had to deal with various fault-reporting services over the last few months, and I know it's not easy. I'm English, but I hesitate to trust speech recognition systems. I have struggled with the accents of some call-centre staff. And a telephone call to North America? Second Life is international in scope, but even with a common language I wonder if it is run to cope with that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.