Voice only viewer client?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A permaban SL user that likes to troll a sim I often go to seems to have picked up new trick to avoid getting reported. He now appears in the sim in voice, but radar doesn't show him in the sim.

He creates new accounts daily to come into the sim normally and then crash the sim - Barbarossa. Those can be reported, post sim crash when he returns. But then after a few minutes when that account is killed, he will return but only in voice with a different account which are around 2 weeks old. Right clicking on the account in the voice window, and reporting the account seems to not work I assume because when the Lindens check logs for the sim maybe it's because they can't confirm the account was in the sim? I keep hoping in the AR description that explaining to look at the screenshot to see the user is in the voice window, but yes not in nearby radar. But unlike his daily accounts that get killed, he seems to be able to return with his other older accounts on voice. He's been doing this for years and as of today he is up to account 1901.

End result is post crashing the sim, the person can return and continue to be abusive over voice. 

Does anyone know how this is done. Is there a better strategy to better report when the user is only on voice?

[edit] I should clarify that I was asking how to confirm if this was maybe a normal thing you could do with a third party viewer I wasn't aware of. If this is an exploit, I don't need details, but would like to confirm that it's an exploit and not a normal feature of a viewer.

Edited by Mark Sparkle
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Sparkle said:

Does anyone know how this is done. Is there a better strategy to better report when the user is only on voice?

Well no one here is going to post how it's done, even if they knew. I would contact support and ask them what their recommendation would be and the best way to report them.

• Like 3

1,901 accounts? That's dedication on the trolls part and a massive failure on LL's. There's not much you can do except report and pray the Linden God responds. Secondlife has always been appealing for trolls because it's so easy to abuse.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Unhelpful answers from others aside, try reaching out to Tommy Linden directly - he's the governance supervisor and has stated publicly that people can contact him directly for help on reporting stuff.

I did not know that - Thank you. Very newbie question. Contacting Tommy Linden just as an IM in world, notecard or is there a better way?

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I wonder what he would do if you cut off voice for a couple of months.. hehehehe

You can't get rid of me!

Can you hear me?  I said, you can't get rid of M..... Voice has been disabled in this region.

Damn, they found my kryptonite!

Yup that seems to be his weakness - no voice no fun. Unfortunately, it also means no fun for everyone else who enjoys the sim.

I don't know why Linden Lab won't just ban his IP since banning over 1000+ accounts over many years has done nothing. Also, I believe there are account limits per email but you can always create new emails to make more accounts. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Sparkle said:

Yup that seems to be his weakness - no voice no fun. Unfortunately, it also means no fun for everyone else who enjoys the sim.

He's obviously found a way to use voice, maybe even without being logged into SL.. I think that's outsourced, so he may possibly be coming in through a back door or something..

Especially, If he's showing up on old accounts that have been banned.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TimKoul said:

I don't know why Linden Lab won't just ban his IP since banning over 1000+ accounts over many years has done nothing. Also, I believe there are account limits per email but you can always create new emails to make more accounts. 

IP bans are pretty ineffective, since many ISPs use a system that changes your ISP address at frequent intervals, and which enables the user to change their address at will.  And there's always VPNs if your ISP uses a more static system.

Even machine bans are pretty easy to circumvent if you know how (and the method isn't terribly difficult to discover).

All LL can do is keep banning determined greifers until they lose interest and find someone else to bother, which sooner or later most of them do.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

IP bans are pretty ineffective, since many ISPs use a system that changes your ISP address at frequent intervals, and which enables the user to change their address at will.   And there's always VPNs if your ISP uses a more static system.

Even machine bans are pretty easy to circumvent if you know how (and the method isn't terribly difficult to discover).

All LL can do is keep banning determined greifers until they lose interest and find someone else to bother, which sooner or later most of them do.

The machine bans also got even easier when the Copybot viewers came out. This person likes to screen capture his exploits and post them to youtube, so can see he is using one of the Copybot viewers which has features to spoof hardware details sent by the viewer to LL. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

LL should develop a ghost system where all he does is log in to a server filled with other permabanned accounts and let him scream into the void. 

I like this idea. Also wasn't the corn field sim a ban box of sorts at one time or was that just a story before it became a regular LL sim.

• Administrators

Hey folks!

In situations where you are not able to directly report an avatar, you may file an Abuse Report and drop in Governor Linden as the party being reported and include any necessary details about the situation. This will notify us of the issue and we will be able to investigate further from there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

On 8/25/2022 at 10:33 PM, TimKoul said:

because you cant ban dynamic IP lol..

you can only know location , but not the exact pc. only provider ISP know, and LL must cobtact ISP for rhat, but....

will ISP  share it ???? for virtual world name SL.

nope

unless FBi, CIA , interpol , ger involve

😂

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

On 8/28/2022 at 9:37 PM, Kalegthepsionicist said:

because you cant ban dynamic IP lol..

you can only know location , but not the exact pc. only provider ISP know, and LL must cobtact ISP for rhat, but....

will ISP  share it ???? for virtual world name SL.

nope

unless FBi, CIA , interpol , ger involve

😂

subpoena's work too if they believe a crime has been committed, any local police department can do that too.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.