Is my avatar too slender?

yamata2018

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, yamata2018 said:

Should I make my avatar thicker?

Torso muscles: 20

Leg muscles: 25

Snapshot_016.png

I play alot with the sliders, I learned to always make a copy. Something I make tonight I might not like tomorrow, you know? anyway if you are asking for critique I would say arms thicker. You look cuuutEE!!!

• Like 1

Honestly, you should only change your shape if it starts causing some of your clothing to break, and even then that probably says more about the mesh design than it does you. I've tweaked my shape to the extreme, meaning I always try a demo first to make sure stuff covers the parts they're supposed to cover.

5 hours ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

It's hard to tell with the neckline of that dress, but it looks like your neck may be a bit too long to be proportional. Without seeing a side view, I can't say for sure if your muscles are proportional. Do you WANT to be proportional though? 

@yamata2018 The other proportion issue I notice is that the arm length is too short in relation to your torso; hands only come to the hips instead of nearly half-way down the thigh.  Hard to tell without seeing how long your legs are but you may have too much torso length in comparison to leg length. Or your arms may just need to be lengthened. If they're not already at 100, they probably should be (unless you are very, very short). If they're already maxed out you can gain a bit more by increasing hand size - if you're taller, they'll still look proportional even as large as 50 or so.

In general though, there's no such thing as being objectively too slender or too fat or too much anything else. If you want to be thin, be thin. It's all about personal preference. Some people may say my avatar is "too tall" but I am at exactly the height I wish to be. - So - be as slim as you wish to be.

Edited by Maitimo

The first thing I'd recommend is to set your SL camera to zoom in to your avatar. The zoom controls are ctrl + 0 to zoom in, ctrl + 9 to reset, ctrl + 8 to zoom out. I press ctrl + 0 twice to set the camera zoom closer which persists when I log off and on. Why do I recommend this? To remove fisheye distortion of your avatar which greatly affects how you see your avatar. You can't really evaluate yourself if the fisheye makes your avatar body parts large in some places when you move close to your avatar. If you set ctrl + 0 twice, this forces you to move your camera away from your avatar and reduces the fisheye. You can always press ctrl + 9 to reset if you want to go back to default.

On your avatar, the slider I think no one uses much is 'body thickness'. This actually stretches your entire avatar out from side to side or makes the torso, neck, arms, and legs thicker from side to side but not back to front. Many people have body thickness set to zero and this makes the torso look the size of a skinny twelve year old. It makes the head appear large in proportion to the shoulders and it makes the arms and legs have the same overall thickness. With the body thickness set higher you can actually set your torso muscles to thinner settings and make your arms and torso thinner compared to your hips and thighs. You can actually create a nice hourglass shape, thin waist, small rib cage, large breasts, wide hips, big butt and thighs. You can also create a nice skinny shape by setting your torso and leg muscles much thinner which makes you look like a normal human female with thin arms and thighs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What type of body shape you want in SL is entirely up to you - there's nothing stopping you from using a few different shapes for different moods/looks either. 

So in response to the question as to whether your avatar is too slender, one would have to ask 'too slender for whom' or 'too slender for what'. As have been mentioned prior, the neck and arms both stand out as not being very 'realistic'; and whilst I'm inclined to agree that I, personally, would make the arms longer and the neck shorter, the simple truth is that very few people in the world actually match the usual 'rules' we learned in art class for what a human being 'should' look like - my art teacher showed us how he and a friend of his who both were the exact same height and had the exact same shoulder measurements and arm lengths looked entirely 'realistic' at a first glance, but the position of their waistlines were almost 20 cm off on the vertical - which, when we drew out the proportions of the two and then put them over one another, made both of them look plain ridiculous. His long-torsoed friend somehow managed to look both ape-like and like he had too short arms both at once all of a sudden.

The bosom ratio feels unnatural to me as well, they're wider than your hips which makes me think 'top heavy'. But that's my opinion, and it's far from the top-heaviest I've seen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.